ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Customer Request

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hatetheboss
Posts: 191
Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 04:39
Gender: Male
Location: Back Of Beyond

Re: Customer Request

Post by hatetheboss »

slave wrote:A post it stick, called a pen for most people I think - never even heard of one before today, you obviously work in a decent office.
We have a good Rep!
They are coming to take us away
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Customer Request

Post by clashcityrocker »

dvbuk55 wrote:
internetguy wrote:we got told to use our pens....... :arrrghhh
Aren't you concerned it might get bitten off :shock:
Wouldn't bother me. I've got two. :Very Happy
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
internetguy
Posts: 183
Joined: 01 Oct 2010, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Customer Request

Post by internetguy »

clashcityrocker wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
internetguy wrote:we got told to use our pens....... :arrrghhh
Aren't you concerned it might get bitten off :shock:
Wouldn't bother me. I've got two. :Very Happy
haha, im the same, i have a few kicking about in my fleece pocket.... :chuckle
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Customer Request

Post by dvbuk55 »

internetguy wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
internetguy wrote:we got told to use our pens....... :arrrghhh
Aren't you concerned it might get bitten off :shock:
Wouldn't bother me. I've got two. :Very Happy
haha, im the same, i have a few kicking about in my fleece pocket.... :chuckle
Oh.......................PENS............................stupid me :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
internetguy
Posts: 183
Joined: 01 Oct 2010, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Customer Request

Post by internetguy »

dvbuk55 wrote:
internetguy wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
internetguy wrote:we got told to use our pens....... :arrrghhh
Aren't you concerned it might get bitten off :shock:
Wouldn't bother me. I've got two. :Very Happy
haha, im the same, i have a few kicking about in my fleece pocket.... :chuckle
Oh.......................PENS............................stupid me :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
:Sick :chuckle :chuckle
ElvisGaddafi
Posts: 249
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:17
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: Customer Request

Post by ElvisGaddafi »

fishtank wrote:
ElvisGaddafi wrote:
RTP wrote:]
He's just covering his own back then. We had a brief on this and our DOM stated in front of the whole office that it's ok as far as he's concerned to carry on leaving packets in safeplaces if this has been going on before..eg.porch,shed, coalbunker. Blue bins are a no, no. If ever there's a problem with a packet going missing when left in a 'safeplace', then there's a whole office of witness's to back up that we were told it was ok to carry out 'common practise'. :wink:
I asked my DOM about this this morning and he said exactly the same
The question is....why would you?
..and don't say "because i care about my customers". :whistle
No you're right, why would I? What i should do is walk around my whole duty carrying the 7 bags worth of packets that I can't deliver. What I'll do in future is take a ball of string with me and when my bag's too full for any more packets and I've got one under each arm and one on my head, I'll start tying them together and drag them along behind me. Good point, thanks mate.
The sky is white as clay, with no sun.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Customer Request

Post by dvbuk55 »

ElvisGaddafi wrote:
fishtank wrote:
ElvisGaddafi wrote:
RTP wrote:]
He's just covering his own back then. We had a brief on this and our DOM stated in front of the whole office that it's ok as far as he's concerned to carry on leaving packets in safeplaces if this has been going on before..eg.porch,shed, coalbunker. Blue bins are a no, no. If ever there's a problem with a packet going missing when left in a 'safeplace', then there's a whole office of witness's to back up that we were told it was ok to carry out 'common practise'. :wink:
I asked my DOM about this this morning and he said exactly the same
The question is....why would you?
..and don't say "because i care about my customers". :whistle
No you're right, why would I? What i should do is walk around my whole duty carrying the 7 bags worth of packets that I can't deliver. What I'll do in future is take a ball of string with me and when my bag's too full for any more packets and I've got one under each arm and one on my head, I'll start tying them together and drag them along behind me. Good point, thanks mate.
Yes, sarcasm doesn't become you. I just wonder how selective your DOMs memory would be if it came to hey lads hey. If you were loaded up with 7 bags of packets you couldn't deliver then how would you get all the packets out including the ones you could deliver? It's surprising how people make excuses to justify what they want to do and not what they should do according to current practices. :crazy:
ElvisGaddafi
Posts: 249
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:17
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: Customer Request

Post by ElvisGaddafi »

dvbuk55 wrote:
ElvisGaddafi wrote:
fishtank wrote:
ElvisGaddafi wrote:
RTP wrote:]
He's just covering his own back then. We had a brief on this and our DOM stated in front of the whole office that it's ok as far as he's concerned to carry on leaving packets in safeplaces if this has been going on before..eg.porch,shed, coalbunker. Blue bins are a no, no. If ever there's a problem with a packet going missing when left in a 'safeplace', then there's a whole office of witness's to back up that we were told it was ok to carry out 'common practise'. :wink:
I asked my DOM about this this morning and he said exactly the same
The question is....why would you?
..and don't say "because i care about my customers". :whistle
No you're right, why would I? What i should do is walk around my whole duty carrying the 7 bags worth of packets that I can't deliver. What I'll do in future is take a ball of string with me and when my bag's too full for any more packets and I've got one under each arm and one on my head, I'll start tying them together and drag them along behind me. Good point, thanks mate.
Yes, sarcasm doesn't become you. I just wonder how selective your DOMs memory would be if it came to hey lads hey. If you were loaded up with 7 bags of packets you couldn't deliver then how would you get all the packets out including the ones you could deliver? It's surprising how people make excuses to justify what they want to do and not what they should do according to current practices. :crazy:
Not 7 bags of packets - the undelivered packets from 7 bags of mail. It's quite easy to tell the people who have never done the job but still have plenty to say about it. I know what I should do according to current practices but unfortunately I'm out there in the real world. Apparently the new P739's are only being used down south because of all the lazy bstrds doorstepping anyway.
The sky is white as clay, with no sun.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.
Benethi
Posts: 8
Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Re: Customer Request

Post by Benethi »

If we're not allowed to leave parcels in sheds etc because they are not secure, are we allowed to leave parcels/letters in unlocked porches? How about the boxes that say 'Letters' on them - but are left unlocked? Are we meant to 739 letters if the delivery point isn't secure - and are 739s allowed to be left in insecure places?

:hmmmm
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Customer Request

Post by dvbuk55 »

ElvisGaddafi wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
ElvisGaddafi wrote:
fishtank wrote:
ElvisGaddafi wrote:
RTP wrote:]
He's just covering his own back then. We had a brief on this and our DOM stated in front of the whole office that it's ok as far as he's concerned to carry on leaving packets in safeplaces if this has been going on before..eg.porch,shed, coalbunker. Blue bins are a no, no. If ever there's a problem with a packet going missing when left in a 'safeplace', then there's a whole office of witness's to back up that we were told it was ok to carry out 'common practise'. :wink:
I asked my DOM about this this morning and he said exactly the same
The question is....why would you?
..and don't say "because i care about my customers". :whistle
No you're right, why would I? What i should do is walk around my whole duty carrying the 7 bags worth of packets that I can't deliver. What I'll do in future is take a ball of string with me and when my bag's too full for any more packets and I've got one under each arm and one on my head, I'll start tying them together and drag them along behind me. Good point, thanks mate.
Yes, sarcasm doesn't become you. I just wonder how selective your DOMs memory would be if it came to hey lads hey. If you were loaded up with 7 bags of packets you couldn't deliver then how would you get all the packets out including the ones you could deliver? It's surprising how people make excuses to justify what they want to do and not what they should do according to current practices. :crazy:
Not 7 bags of packets - the undelivered packets from 7 bags of mail. It's quite easy to tell the people who have never done the job but still have plenty to say about it. I know what I should do according to current practices but unfortunately I'm out there in the real world. Apparently the new P739's are only being used down south because of all the lazy bstrds doorstepping anyway.
Well you are wrong on two counts...........I was a delivery officer for 15 years and am still in a delivery environment and I am well aware of the trials and tribulations AND the pitfalls for the unwary. The second error is in thinking that the "new" 739s are for the lazy people down south, quite wrong, the reason for the current practice is at the behest of the regulator because of the amount paid out in compensation for non receipt.......which has risen exponentially with the increase in ebay, strangely, or probably not so strange :cuppa
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Customer Request

Post by fishtank »

Wouldn't it be better to flag up the issue of carrying undelivered packets to your manager rather than carrying on a practice that could in theory at least...lose you your job?
Path of least resistance maybe?

With the exception of safeplace items...when customers pay for a parcel to be delivered they do not usually pay for it to be delivered to a shed...these are the paying customers,the complaining customers and the customers who seek compensation when it goes tits up.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
RTP
Posts: 863
Joined: 22 Apr 2011, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Customer Request

Post by RTP »

Fishtank, circumstances will be different in different offices,on different walks and with different management.

It's just yet another new royal mail policy dreamt up by some halfwit pen pusher who has never been on, and never will go on a postal walk in his/her life.

Sad thing is, it'll take jam packed collection offices, a few poor souls suspended or worse and more lost revenue before the penny finally drops with royal mail.

Meanwhile the customer suffers yet again.
RTP
Posts: 863
Joined: 22 Apr 2011, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Customer Request

Post by RTP »

Just to add to that, a more thought out clear directive from royal mails top brass needs to be issued.

I gave the example earlier of not leaving parcels/packets in recycling bins. Add to that some posties leaving them behind walls, under bushes, door stepping and that nonsense, should of course be made clear, that that's not on. A common sense approach in otherwords.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Customer Request

Post by fishtank »

RTP wrote:Fishtank, circumstances will be different in different offices,on different walks and with different management.
It is a business wide standard operating procedure.
It's just yet another new royal mail policy dreamt up by some halfwit pen pusher who has never been on, and never will go on a postal walk in his/her life.
There is nothing new about it,it has always been SOP to p739 everything....the fact that doorstepping or dumping packets has been tolerated by some piss poor managers does not make it right.
Sad thing is, it'll take jam packed collection offices, a few poor souls suspended or worse and more lost revenue before the penny finally drops with royal mail.
Poor souls have been suspended and sacked for dumping packets and the loss of revenue is there for all to see in compensation payments...if collection offices are jam packed maybe there is an argument for larger collection offices and who knows...maybe more jobs.
Meanwhile the customer suffers yet again.
The customer is the sender....they are suffering. :cuppa
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
RTP
Posts: 863
Joined: 22 Apr 2011, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Customer Request

Post by RTP »

The customer is also the receiver fishtank.

Do you think it's a good service to have to sometimes drive miles to go and collect your item, when for years the postie has left it in their shed?

Receiving customers will also at times be sending customers and if they've seen their arse with something so petty as this, are likely to look elsewhere when it comes to them sending items, don't you think, or am I missing something here?