We have a good Rep!slave wrote:A post it stick, called a pen for most people I think - never even heard of one before today, you obviously work in a decent office.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Customer Request
-
hatetheboss
- Posts: 191
- Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 04:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Back Of Beyond
Re: Customer Request
They are coming to take us away
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16736
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Customer Request
Wouldn't bother me. I've got two.dvbuk55 wrote:Aren't you concerned it might get bitten offinternetguy wrote:we got told to use our pens.......
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
internetguy
- Posts: 183
- Joined: 01 Oct 2010, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Customer Request
haha, im the same, i have a few kicking about in my fleece pocket....clashcityrocker wrote:Wouldn't bother me. I've got two.dvbuk55 wrote:Aren't you concerned it might get bitten offinternetguy wrote:we got told to use our pens.......
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Customer Request
Oh.......................PENS............................stupid meinternetguy wrote:haha, im the same, i have a few kicking about in my fleece pocket....clashcityrocker wrote:Wouldn't bother me. I've got two.dvbuk55 wrote:Aren't you concerned it might get bitten offinternetguy wrote:we got told to use our pens.......
-
internetguy
- Posts: 183
- Joined: 01 Oct 2010, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Customer Request
dvbuk55 wrote:Oh.......................PENS............................stupid meinternetguy wrote:haha, im the same, i have a few kicking about in my fleece pocket....clashcityrocker wrote:Wouldn't bother me. I've got two.dvbuk55 wrote:Aren't you concerned it might get bitten offinternetguy wrote:we got told to use our pens.......![]()
![]()
-
ElvisGaddafi
- Posts: 249
- Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Scotland
Re: Customer Request
No you're right, why would I? What i should do is walk around my whole duty carrying the 7 bags worth of packets that I can't deliver. What I'll do in future is take a ball of string with me and when my bag's too full for any more packets and I've got one under each arm and one on my head, I'll start tying them together and drag them along behind me. Good point, thanks mate.fishtank wrote:The question is....why would you?ElvisGaddafi wrote:I asked my DOM about this this morning and he said exactly the sameRTP wrote:]
He's just covering his own back then. We had a brief on this and our DOM stated in front of the whole office that it's ok as far as he's concerned to carry on leaving packets in safeplaces if this has been going on before..eg.porch,shed, coalbunker. Blue bins are a no, no. If ever there's a problem with a packet going missing when left in a 'safeplace', then there's a whole office of witness's to back up that we were told it was ok to carry out 'common practise'.
..and don't say "because i care about my customers".
The sky is white as clay, with no sun.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Customer Request
Yes, sarcasm doesn't become you. I just wonder how selective your DOMs memory would be if it came to hey lads hey. If you were loaded up with 7 bags of packets you couldn't deliver then how would you get all the packets out including the ones you could deliver? It's surprising how people make excuses to justify what they want to do and not what they should do according to current practices.ElvisGaddafi wrote:No you're right, why would I? What i should do is walk around my whole duty carrying the 7 bags worth of packets that I can't deliver. What I'll do in future is take a ball of string with me and when my bag's too full for any more packets and I've got one under each arm and one on my head, I'll start tying them together and drag them along behind me. Good point, thanks mate.fishtank wrote:The question is....why would you?ElvisGaddafi wrote:I asked my DOM about this this morning and he said exactly the sameRTP wrote:]
He's just covering his own back then. We had a brief on this and our DOM stated in front of the whole office that it's ok as far as he's concerned to carry on leaving packets in safeplaces if this has been going on before..eg.porch,shed, coalbunker. Blue bins are a no, no. If ever there's a problem with a packet going missing when left in a 'safeplace', then there's a whole office of witness's to back up that we were told it was ok to carry out 'common practise'.
..and don't say "because i care about my customers".
-
ElvisGaddafi
- Posts: 249
- Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Scotland
Re: Customer Request
Not 7 bags of packets - the undelivered packets from 7 bags of mail. It's quite easy to tell the people who have never done the job but still have plenty to say about it. I know what I should do according to current practices but unfortunately I'm out there in the real world. Apparently the new P739's are only being used down south because of all the lazy bstrds doorstepping anyway.dvbuk55 wrote:Yes, sarcasm doesn't become you. I just wonder how selective your DOMs memory would be if it came to hey lads hey. If you were loaded up with 7 bags of packets you couldn't deliver then how would you get all the packets out including the ones you could deliver? It's surprising how people make excuses to justify what they want to do and not what they should do according to current practices.ElvisGaddafi wrote:No you're right, why would I? What i should do is walk around my whole duty carrying the 7 bags worth of packets that I can't deliver. What I'll do in future is take a ball of string with me and when my bag's too full for any more packets and I've got one under each arm and one on my head, I'll start tying them together and drag them along behind me. Good point, thanks mate.fishtank wrote:The question is....why would you?ElvisGaddafi wrote:I asked my DOM about this this morning and he said exactly the sameRTP wrote:]
He's just covering his own back then. We had a brief on this and our DOM stated in front of the whole office that it's ok as far as he's concerned to carry on leaving packets in safeplaces if this has been going on before..eg.porch,shed, coalbunker. Blue bins are a no, no. If ever there's a problem with a packet going missing when left in a 'safeplace', then there's a whole office of witness's to back up that we were told it was ok to carry out 'common practise'.
..and don't say "because i care about my customers".
The sky is white as clay, with no sun.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.
-
Benethi
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 07 Aug 2010, 20:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Customer Request
If we're not allowed to leave parcels in sheds etc because they are not secure, are we allowed to leave parcels/letters in unlocked porches? How about the boxes that say 'Letters' on them - but are left unlocked? Are we meant to 739 letters if the delivery point isn't secure - and are 739s allowed to be left in insecure places?

-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Customer Request
Well you are wrong on two counts...........I was a delivery officer for 15 years and am still in a delivery environment and I am well aware of the trials and tribulations AND the pitfalls for the unwary. The second error is in thinking that the "new" 739s are for the lazy people down south, quite wrong, the reason for the current practice is at the behest of the regulator because of the amount paid out in compensation for non receipt.......which has risen exponentially with the increase in ebay, strangely, or probably not so strangeElvisGaddafi wrote:Not 7 bags of packets - the undelivered packets from 7 bags of mail. It's quite easy to tell the people who have never done the job but still have plenty to say about it. I know what I should do according to current practices but unfortunately I'm out there in the real world. Apparently the new P739's are only being used down south because of all the lazy bstrds doorstepping anyway.dvbuk55 wrote:Yes, sarcasm doesn't become you. I just wonder how selective your DOMs memory would be if it came to hey lads hey. If you were loaded up with 7 bags of packets you couldn't deliver then how would you get all the packets out including the ones you could deliver? It's surprising how people make excuses to justify what they want to do and not what they should do according to current practices.ElvisGaddafi wrote:No you're right, why would I? What i should do is walk around my whole duty carrying the 7 bags worth of packets that I can't deliver. What I'll do in future is take a ball of string with me and when my bag's too full for any more packets and I've got one under each arm and one on my head, I'll start tying them together and drag them along behind me. Good point, thanks mate.fishtank wrote:The question is....why would you?ElvisGaddafi wrote:I asked my DOM about this this morning and he said exactly the sameRTP wrote:]
He's just covering his own back then. We had a brief on this and our DOM stated in front of the whole office that it's ok as far as he's concerned to carry on leaving packets in safeplaces if this has been going on before..eg.porch,shed, coalbunker. Blue bins are a no, no. If ever there's a problem with a packet going missing when left in a 'safeplace', then there's a whole office of witness's to back up that we were told it was ok to carry out 'common practise'.
..and don't say "because i care about my customers".
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Customer Request
Wouldn't it be better to flag up the issue of carrying undelivered packets to your manager rather than carrying on a practice that could in theory at least...lose you your job?
Path of least resistance maybe?
With the exception of safeplace items...when customers pay for a parcel to be delivered they do not usually pay for it to be delivered to a shed...these are the paying customers,the complaining customers and the customers who seek compensation when it goes tits up.
Path of least resistance maybe?
With the exception of safeplace items...when customers pay for a parcel to be delivered they do not usually pay for it to be delivered to a shed...these are the paying customers,the complaining customers and the customers who seek compensation when it goes tits up.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
RTP
- Posts: 863
- Joined: 22 Apr 2011, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Customer Request
Fishtank, circumstances will be different in different offices,on different walks and with different management.
It's just yet another new royal mail policy dreamt up by some halfwit pen pusher who has never been on, and never will go on a postal walk in his/her life.
Sad thing is, it'll take jam packed collection offices, a few poor souls suspended or worse and more lost revenue before the penny finally drops with royal mail.
Meanwhile the customer suffers yet again.
It's just yet another new royal mail policy dreamt up by some halfwit pen pusher who has never been on, and never will go on a postal walk in his/her life.
Sad thing is, it'll take jam packed collection offices, a few poor souls suspended or worse and more lost revenue before the penny finally drops with royal mail.
Meanwhile the customer suffers yet again.
-
RTP
- Posts: 863
- Joined: 22 Apr 2011, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Customer Request
Just to add to that, a more thought out clear directive from royal mails top brass needs to be issued.
I gave the example earlier of not leaving parcels/packets in recycling bins. Add to that some posties leaving them behind walls, under bushes, door stepping and that nonsense, should of course be made clear, that that's not on. A common sense approach in otherwords.
I gave the example earlier of not leaving parcels/packets in recycling bins. Add to that some posties leaving them behind walls, under bushes, door stepping and that nonsense, should of course be made clear, that that's not on. A common sense approach in otherwords.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Customer Request
It is a business wide standard operating procedure.RTP wrote:Fishtank, circumstances will be different in different offices,on different walks and with different management.
There is nothing new about it,it has always been SOP to p739 everything....the fact that doorstepping or dumping packets has been tolerated by some piss poor managers does not make it right.It's just yet another new royal mail policy dreamt up by some halfwit pen pusher who has never been on, and never will go on a postal walk in his/her life.
Poor souls have been suspended and sacked for dumping packets and the loss of revenue is there for all to see in compensation payments...if collection offices are jam packed maybe there is an argument for larger collection offices and who knows...maybe more jobs.Sad thing is, it'll take jam packed collection offices, a few poor souls suspended or worse and more lost revenue before the penny finally drops with royal mail.
The customer is the sender....they are suffering.Meanwhile the customer suffers yet again.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
RTP
- Posts: 863
- Joined: 22 Apr 2011, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Customer Request
The customer is also the receiver fishtank.
Do you think it's a good service to have to sometimes drive miles to go and collect your item, when for years the postie has left it in their shed?
Receiving customers will also at times be sending customers and if they've seen their arse with something so petty as this, are likely to look elsewhere when it comes to them sending items, don't you think, or am I missing something here?
Do you think it's a good service to have to sometimes drive miles to go and collect your item, when for years the postie has left it in their shed?
Receiving customers will also at times be sending customers and if they've seen their arse with something so petty as this, are likely to look elsewhere when it comes to them sending items, don't you think, or am I missing something here?