ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Can I cancel my own annual leave ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Re: Can I cancel my own annual leave ?

Post by baldrick »

Indy wrote:
moyas slave wrote:I have worked out that if all staff in our office bought the max (6weeks) leave that there simply wouldnt be enough weeks in the year for everybody to take them.
There is NO right to be able to buy a 6 week holiday entitlement..... I had to put it in writing and request it. Coz it was such a long time ago it was O.K'd but people have recently been turned down with the same request. I know that RM can seems stupid at times but they aint THAT stoopid!
It was part of the Way Forward Agreement, though RM weren't expecting the amount of people who applied.
da'bunny
Posts: 239
Joined: 08 May 2007, 20:47

Re: Can I cancel my own annual leave ?

Post by da'bunny »

At my office you can buy an extra weeks leave so in total you can have 6 weeks.
Baldrick - Regarding the above being part of the way forward, ever since i joined RM 13 years ago there has been the right to buy an extra weeks holiday.
We are allowed to carry over 5 days.
You can cancel annual leave as otherwise it is FORCED leave ( i asked my union man).
Regarding the OP tell your manager you don't need the leave he's given you and tell him when you do want it, if he says you cant cancel it speak to your union rep. I for one wouldn't put up with being told when to take holidays!
Just say NO ....to the new agreement.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Can I cancel my own annual leave ?

Post by POSTMAN »

DGP1 wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:Part of the pay and mod agreement with the summer lapsing is you have extra holiday spaces booked.
So in the summer if you are lapsing you should have extra slots.
FFS Postman, we've had our summer leave reduced this year, only 5 when it used to be 8 (not that I care, I still got decent weeks).
Really? Feck that.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Tommase
Posts: 75
Joined: 15 Apr 2010, 13:30
Gender: Male

Re: Can I cancel my own annual leave ?

Post by Tommase »

da'bunny wrote:At my office you can buy an extra weeks leave so in total you can have 6 weeks.
Baldrick - Regarding the above being part of the way forward, ever since i joined RM 13 years ago there has been the right to buy an extra weeks holiday.
We are allowed to carry over 5 days.
You can cancel annual leave as otherwise it is FORCED leave ( i asked my union man).
Regarding the OP tell your manager you don't need the leave he's given you and tell him when you do want it, if he says you cant cancel it speak to your union rep. I for one wouldn't put up with being told when to take holidays!
Interesting, Thank you. I was going to contact my union rep but to be honest he's not the most accomodating person ! I will take this information back in tomorrow morning.

Its being forced to go to another DO that is grating me though ! Surely it should be the leave reserve that is surplus to requirement ?
Baz1978
Posts: 11
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 23:48
Gender: Male

Re: Can I cancel my own annual leave ?

Post by Baz1978 »

Looking at our holidays picked, and as it goes on seniorority, and its now down to four off at a time with 24 walks I am not going to get a week off until late october. got a holiday booked abroad with my familiy late may (you have to book them early or you pay loads more which I can't afford to do) Now it looks like I will not get this week, as it's double over subscribed, so what do I do? If I put in a transfer to a nearer office to me, which would save me about £20 a week on travelling anyway, would I ge this holiday?
moyas slave
Posts: 133
Joined: 15 Jan 2011, 16:45
Gender: Female

Re: Can I cancel my own annual leave ?

Post by moyas slave »

Baz1978 wrote:Looking at our holidays picked, and as it goes on seniorority, and its now down to four off at a time with 24 walks I am not going to get a week off until late october. got a holiday booked abroad with my familiy late may (you have to book them early or you pay loads more which I can't afford to do) Now it looks like I will not get this week, as it's double over subscribed, so what do I do? If I put in a transfer to a nearer office to me, which would save me about £20 a week on travelling anyway, would I ge this holiday?

would you get the transfer? and hols will have already been allocated in new DO.
sanyo
Posts: 34
Joined: 01 Mar 2010, 21:34
Gender: Male

Re: Can I cancel my own annual leave ?

Post by sanyo »

baldrick wrote: It must have been a mistake by HR. I don't think you can buy over 6 weeks.
If you could I certainly would. I might email HR to check that out.
Did you e mail HR?, if so what did they say? I would also be interested in buying more weeks. Thanks in advance.
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Re: Can I cancel my own annual leave ?

Post by baldrick »

sanyo wrote:
baldrick wrote: It must have been a mistake by HR. I don't think you can buy over 6 weeks.
If you could I certainly would. I might email HR to check that out.
Did you e mail HR?, if so what did they say? I would also be interested in buying more weeks. Thanks in advance.
No, sorry I didn't. I decided it must be a mistake.
sanyo
Posts: 34
Joined: 01 Mar 2010, 21:34
Gender: Male

Re: Can I cancel my own annual leave ?

Post by sanyo »

No, sorry I didn't. I decided it must be a mistake.
Yeah! that's what i was thinking.