ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Winchester delivery office left high and dry by cwu HQ

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hubbahubba
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1045
Joined: 24 Jun 2009, 22:02
Gender: Female

Re: Winchester delivery office left high and dry by cwu HQ

Post by hubbahubba »

cackhill wrote:You'll like this one. They loaned posties out to other offices, in winch, so they could continue the unagreed lapsing (nice touch I thought). The staff used to come in early and use their cars, for the usual reasons, you know, finish early, avoid long bike rides etc. Now they do it so they can complete deliveries so they can avoid any grief from management. They either need the ballot they agreed last october or they need someone to come down from HQ. They need ACTION of some sort.
It's starting to get really difficult to defend CWU in Winchester. :arrrghhh
I just hope nobody leaks this to the local press? :wink: :nervous
same as it ever was...
peterloo
Posts: 123
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 23:31

Re: Winchester delivery office left high and dry by cwu HQ

Post by peterloo »

Still Nothing.
winchpostie
Posts: 8
Joined: 12 Feb 2011, 20:32
Gender: Male

Re: Winchester delivery office left high and dry by cwu HQ

Post by winchpostie »

Heard about this forum from walk next to mine - i work at winchester and have done for over 15 years.

My views because what I read seems to not be office I am in!

The lapsing is 15 mins extra delivery or prep (its split) for everyone in the DO, that's all, nothing more. Also it has reduced down now abit compared to the summer.

I am a fair judge of workload and up until this lapsing we was always finishing before our time at 2 - am supposed to finish at 3. I don't see what the issue is with a bit of extra del to fill my day if it keeps me in a job and keeps our DO doing well. DOM tells us at WTLL that we are doing well and are near top in area - why is that wrong. :nana Again not easy to say but most in DO were making bag loads of time and still are on the quiet days and to time on busy days.

Yes we work harder now but is that a bad thing :crazy: - my son just got made redundant from local store :cry - he would jump at chance of a job with me on F/T money evrn if it did mean 15 mins extra delivery within his work hours.

It's funny how reading this thread can paint one side of story - yes lots people did say have a ballot at our sunday meeting but thats because they don't want to work to their time - they are easily lead. And thats difficult for me to say as they are my friends of over 15 years but its true.

The CWU shoud be doing all they can to protect F/T jobs and not fighting about some small lapsing.

Sorry if this offends anyone but I enjoy my job, the management (2 main ones are ok, the rest not great) are by no means as bad as this paints - in fact they helped alot of people in our DO with different personal and work stuff!

Stop taking WInchester down this rocky road - what's the point - all over working to our time and giving us a little bit of extra delivery.

I am proud of being a postie and also beng in a DO that is doing well compared to other DO's in the area. :nana
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: Winchester delivery office left high and dry by cwu HQ

Post by BELIAL »

Everything will be fine, try not to worry :cuppa
Bye
axeman
Posts: 1733
Joined: 12 Jun 2007, 17:57

Re: Winchester delivery office left high and dry by cwu HQ

Post by axeman »

winch postie ....a car user then ...and perhaps one who arrives early for work too as you seem to relish the thought of more work for no extra pay ?

Of course your manager would be happy he's the one earninig the bonus for your extra work :wink:
winchpostie
Posts: 8
Joined: 12 Feb 2011, 20:32
Gender: Male

Re: Winchester delivery office left high and dry by cwu HQ

Post by winchpostie »

axeman wrote:winch postie ....a car user then ...and perhaps one who arrives early for work too as you seem to relish the thought of more work for no extra pay ?

Of course your manager would be happy he's the one earninig the bonus for your extra work :wink:
A Car user - behave son! :mad I am 15 years in the job - rural just like my dad used to be.

we are mainly rural here - arrive early - behave yourself - I got my pint to have 1st! :Very Happy

The point I am making is how can the CWU defend us finishing early which is what we do without the extra lapsing - rurals use vans by the way axeman! :cool

I really hope the CWU have a future in Royal Mail cos I was on that gate back before the agreement but we need to move forward with modern views - Moanng about 15 mins extra work within our duty hours is just silly! :wave
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Winchester delivery office left high and dry by cwu HQ

Post by fishtank »

Just opinions.
I suppose it depends on experiences and how you are personally affected by what may or may not be going on.
I have to say though IF....
"the Winchester membership finally stood up as one and unanimously supported a ballot
for industrial action"
....then i would imagine winchpostie,that your opinion has to be by definition...in the minority. :neutral:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
winchpostie
Posts: 8
Joined: 12 Feb 2011, 20:32
Gender: Male

Re: Winchester delivery office left high and dry by cwu HQ

Post by winchpostie »

fishtank wrote:Just opinions.
I suppose it depends on experiences and how you are personally affected by what may or may not be going on.
I have to say though IF....
"the Winchester membership finally stood up as one and unanimously supported a ballot
for industrial action"
....then i would imagine winchpostie,that your opinion has to be by definition...in the minority. :neutral:
Fishtank - but is it right we have a ballot because people still want to finish before their time because that's the reason why we voted at that meeting :crazy: - two in my row were fnishing an hour before their time - that's why they want to go out, not because the work is unacheievable.

Just think why are we fghting over 15 mins extra work when we have the time to do it - fishtank - only my view ofcourse. :angel
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Winchester delivery office left high and dry by cwu HQ

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

:hmmmm
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
hubbahubba
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1045
Joined: 24 Jun 2009, 22:02
Gender: Female

Re: Winchester delivery office left high and dry by cwu HQ

Post by hubbahubba »

gotta laugh,DO staff have a sly dig in the MC forum about the massive breaks we have,and you got posties trying to strike because they can't get away an HOUR early every day :left: :chuckle
same as it ever was...
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Winchester delivery office left high and dry by cwu HQ

Post by fishtank »

winchpostie wrote: Fishtank - but is it right we have a ballot because people still want to finish before their time because that's the reason why we voted at that meeting - two in my row were fnishing an hour before their time - that's why they want to go out, not because the work is unacheievable.
That's not for me to comment on...i don't work in the office,i don't know how unachievable the workload is,i don't know what the management culture is like and i don't know who,if anybody is finishing early.

In my personal experience though it is very difficult to achieve an overwhelming vote for industrial action simply on the basis that you want to finish early...most people are aware that this is no longer sustainable and though almost everybody will moan about it....very few would vote to lose money to try to defend the indefensible.

At the end of the day though if you are a union member,you have to accept the result of a democratic ballot...you may not like it or the way it was carried out but it is what it is....
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Winchester delivery office left high and dry by cwu HQ

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

hubbahubba wrote:gotta laugh,DO staff have a sly dig in the MC forum about the massive breaks we have,and you got posties trying to strike because they can't get away an HOUR early every day :left: :chuckle
One mans opinion and in my eperience certainly not reflected in most DOs I know. Also you have to remember that either side could be playing a game of disinformation, eg Managers prentending to be posties and saying eveything is rosy or militants making it look worse than it really is. You have to take it on face value and make your own mind up I know which way I am leaning.

Also a lot of "runners" will forgoe 40 minute breaks and use the 15 minute travelling time to "finish" an hour early - but some of them can't see that management use this "early" finish as an excuse to Lapse where no time eists within the duty all they see is someone finishing early and don't investigate why.

Image[
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
winchpostie
Posts: 8
Joined: 12 Feb 2011, 20:32
Gender: Male

Re: Winchester delivery office left high and dry by cwu HQ

Post by winchpostie »

some good points raised and agree with fishtank about the vote (although I will add that out of about 150 of us who work at winch (not sure exact total like), there were about 40 at the meeting where we voted) - I will always back CWU but still have my own personal views. :Very Happy

All I can say is that my dad was a good postie and that's all I am trying to be - I am proud to work here and enjoy my job. Interesting to hear the views though. :Applause
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Winchester delivery office left high and dry by cwu HQ

Post by fishtank »

winchpostie wrote: some good points raised but surely the proof of whether there are issues or not in any DO comes down to the fact that we are STILL NOT OUT on the gate! If it were so bad - why has nothing happened since last year.
There are a lot of genuine problems at various D.O.s around the country....none of them have reached the gate.
I'm afraid that is not proof of anything other than either...

1) A genuine commitment by Royal Mail and the CWU to resolve these issues at local level before they escalate to the point of industrial action.
Or...
2) Some serious and unwarranted pressure/blocking being applied to local/area reps to keep a lid on the whole thing in order that BTA is not derailed and the CWU position is not threatened.

The answer to that...i will leave members to decide. :angel
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
winchpostie
Posts: 8
Joined: 12 Feb 2011, 20:32
Gender: Male

Re: Winchester delivery office left high and dry by cwu HQ

Post by winchpostie »

Fishtank - And views on D2D - that is an issue that I do have in terms of payment and I am doing 5 contracts every week