ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Is this job for me ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hotxbun
Posts: 67
Joined: 30 Dec 2010, 12:24
Gender: Female

Re: Is this job for me ?

Post by hotxbun »

Sippin40oz wrote:1st day on your own and they made you prep everything?! Thats shocking even for Royal Mail!
Think that probably puts it into perspective.

I did think about starting earlier, at 7am, but wouldn't want to do that every day. What the hell happened to part time ?? And moyas slave, I have claimed my breaks as ot too though whether I get paid it remains to be seen ! But can't see me sticking it out for a month, aching bod or not :sad:
Sippin40oz wrote:just completed about 8 months and some days I still find myself finishing long after everyone else is home watching Corrie.
W-h-a-t !! Now you're scaring me !! :silenced
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Is this job for me ?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Welcome to the Twilight Zone Hotxbun :Very Happy Someone give him a link to the last Newbies questions will you? I haven't managed the art of the Blue writing yet! If I remember rightly we never heard from him again after his first few posts! :shock:
Perhaps we should get a contribution from RM for providing the training that they're meant to be doing! :whistle
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
internetguy
Posts: 183
Joined: 01 Oct 2010, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Is this job for me ?

Post by internetguy »

dohnut wrote:
moyas slave wrote:
hotxbun wrote:Thanks guys !

Did have 3 days last week with the postie who's walk I'm covering this week but that was about how to prep, visiting (the only) pouch box, that kinda stuff. Don't get any help prepping, bagging, etc. now though it'd been mentioned last week that someone would start it at 7am, an hour before I get in. Hasn't happened.

Got no uniform, been told it'll be a few weeks, though I've said I desperately need boots - mine just aren't up to it. The rsi is in my arm so not sure it's linked ? Oh and a jacket. The tatty ole thing I'm borrowing is huge !

I am claiming every bit of overtime but I don't particularly want overtime, I'd sooner be home. And taking a meal break would make me even later. :sad: How long was it before you lost that hour, moyas slave, though can't help thinking it's that bit easier doing the same walk week in week out. Feel free to contradict if that's not the case :Very Happy

a month or so, would overtime on a morning suit you?
if so ask if you can start an hour earlier to prep your duty.
i dont take breaks but i do claim OT for them.
i have never done any other walk, they have tried that one and i demanded training so was left to my own duty.
Demanded training on differnet walk?, Good luck if you tried that were I work, I have probably done 30-40 walks and never have the option of what walk it is or my day off, Might try that next time. lol.
training..???, whats that..?. in my first year back at royal fail, i've got to know 10 rounds from 4 different offices and in total had 5 days training for the lot of them. i've been given street maps, hand drawn maps that are falling to bits and just been told to follow my nose ;liar :left: . any other major company wouldnt get away with it, how the f**k do royal mail for gods sake...?
ps: good luck with the new job op, you'll need it, thats for sure.....
Sippin40oz
Posts: 170
Joined: 24 Oct 2010, 18:29
Gender: Female

Re: Is this job for me ?

Post by Sippin40oz »

just completed about 8 months and some days I still find myself finishing long after everyone else is home watching Corrie.
I find myself finishing later than most as well. But nowdays its not so much how long the walk takes its more how much ive been screwed over with prep in the morning and how long i have to wait for the driver to drop me off. most days post my first letter at 10.30-11am on a difficult walk so theres little chance of me finishing on time.
I did think about starting earlier, at 7am, but wouldn't want to do that every day. What the hell happened to part time ?? And moyas slave, I have claimed my breaks as ot too though whether I get paid it remains to be seen ! But can't see me sticking it out for a month, aching bod or not :sad:
The hours are part time to save Royal Mail money simple as that! They give people 5 hour shifts then give them 6-7 hours of work and hope they dont claim OT. And the thing is it works as well especially with newbies who arnt part of the union and are trying to impress the bosses! Then theres the issue of how much break you get for 6-7 hours work. I wonder how many PT know they even have a paid break?! I know PT people in my office who come in and prep their whole walk for FREE and they have been there years so its an effective strategy! I believe you get holiday allocated by your contracted hours as well? so you could work 40 hours a week and still get holidays pro rata for your 20 or 25 hours per week. All in all a massive money saving swindle.

One thing i would suggest is to take your breaks. some people will take the view that whizzing round as fast as you can is the best option so you et home earlier. But i personally find having 5-10mins break a couple of times a day really helps relieve the strain on your body. Sure you will finish a little later but at least your feet and back wont be quite as sore. those green BT / Virgin telephone junction boxes tend to be my fav spot to have a little sit down! :Very Happy

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/wiring_cab_bt4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
REDLETTER
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 748
Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
Gender: Male
Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL

Re: Is this job for me ?

Post by REDLETTER »

Sippin40oz wrote:
just completed about 8 months and some days I still find myself finishing long after everyone else is home watching Corrie.
I find myself finishing later than most as well. But nowdays its not so much how long the walk takes its more how much ive been screwed over with prep in the morning and how long i have to wait for the driver to drop me off. most days post my first letter at 10.30-11am on a difficult walk so theres little chance of me finishing on time.
I did think about starting earlier, at 7am, but wouldn't want to do that every day. What the hell happened to part time ?? And moyas slave, I have claimed my breaks as ot too though whether I get paid it remains to be seen ! But can't see me sticking it out for a month, aching bod or not :sad:
The hours are part time to save Royal Mail money simple as that! They give people 5 hour shifts then give them 6-7 hours of work and hope they dont claim OT. And the thing is it works as well especially with newbies who arnt part of the union and are trying to impress the bosses! Then theres the issue of how much break you get for 6-7 hours work. I wonder how many PT know they even have a paid break?! I know PT people in my office who come in and prep their whole walk for FREE and they have been there years so its an effective strategy! I believe you get holiday allocated by your contracted hours as well? so you could work 40 hours a week and still get holidays pro rata for your 20 or 25 hours per week. All in all a massive money saving swindle.

One thing i would suggest is to take your breaks. some people will take the view that whizzing round as fast as you can is the best option so you et home earlier. But i personally find having 5-10mins break a couple of times a day really helps relieve the strain on your body. Sure you will finish a little later but at least your feet and back wont be quite as sore. those green BT / Virgin telephone junction boxes tend to be my fav spot to have a little sit down! :Very Happy

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/wiring_cab_bt4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm too kn*ckered to climb up on one of those! :crazy:
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: Is this job for me ?

Post by BELIAL »

No ,not if you got RSI after two days :roll:
Bye
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Is this job for me ?

Post by fishtank »

BELIAL wrote:No ,not if you got RSI after two days :roll:
Ask dv about that one. :nervous
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
pokos27
Posts: 657
Joined: 15 Apr 2010, 19:32
Gender: Male

Re: Is this job for me ?

Post by pokos27 »

over the long term you will pick of injury, you will sleep not very well, but just stick at it.
What other options could you have ?
hotxbun
Posts: 67
Joined: 30 Dec 2010, 12:24
Gender: Female

Re: Is this job for me ?

Post by hotxbun »

BELIAL wrote:No ,not if you got RSI after two days :roll:
That's what I thought. Was surprised this morning though, when I called in sick again. Spoke to the DOM and he did seem concerned, suggesting getting Atos involved. Can't imagine what they'd say, I know rest is the only answer.

Have pretty much decided I'll go back tomorrow but will have a small break after prep. I was going straight out after so that may help. And I'll tell'em I'm not working past 3pm. If they don't like it, well ... won't lose anything if the alternative is for me to jack it in.
internetguy wrote:The hours are part time to save Royal Mail money simple as that! They give people 5 hour shifts then give them 6-7 hours of work and hope they dont claim OT. And the thing is it works as well especially with newbies who arnt part of the union and are trying to impress the bosses! Then theres the issue of how much break you get for 6-7 hours work. I wonder how many PT know they even have a paid break?! I know PT people in my office who come in and prep their whole walk for FREE and they have been there years so its an effective strategy! I believe you get holiday allocated by your contracted hours as well? so you could work 40 hours a week and still get holidays pro rata for your 20 or 25 hours per week. All in all a massive money saving swindle.
I'm definitely claiming overtime for what I work after 2pm + 30min break. I'm not out to impress ANY one ! :cool Don't think hours affect holidays. Whether those 22½ days are 6 hours or 8 is irrelevant as I understand it.
fishtank wrote: Ask dv about that one.
Who's dv ?
pokos27 wrote:over the long term you will pick of injury, you will sleep not very well, but just stick at it.
What other options could you have ?
Actually, I haven't been sleeping very well :d'oh!
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Is this job for me ?

Post by krussel »

hotxbun wrote:Actually, I haven't been sleeping very well
Funny but i can remember every time i changed duty as a reserve driver having a terrible nights sleep (if any) before the first day on the new duty. :sad:
hotxbun wrote:Have pretty much decided I'll go back tomorrow
I would still say go and see your dom first thing and ask to take out just HALF the delivery to give your wrist time to heal. You will feel better just doing half and it shows willing.
What you MUST try to avoid is going back and then over doing it and having to take more time off sick as this will count as a second absence and will get you nearer a stage warning :sad:
hotxbun wrote:Who's dv ?
He means dvbuk55 :Very Happy Read his posts and you will get the idea :left: :left:

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... file&u=992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He lives in the naughty room and we vist him from time to time :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: Is this job for me ?

Post by taurus88 »

Job's sh*t. You won't get drastically quicker, not to the extent that you'll cut hours off your walk, but if you're on a walk regular you'll find new ways to bag and prep it that will enable you to shave a good whack off your span. Managers mostly cannot be trusted as far as you can throw them, if you want to beat them you'll need to grow a pair and be aggressive with them - not in terms of your communication or body language but in terms of being insistent and of fighting your corner. You will probably be stressed out at some point, but while this is your only option you may as well persevere until such point as it becomes literally intolerable, or until somebody shows you the door.
48ricks
Posts: 22
Joined: 12 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Re: Is this job for me ?

Post by 48ricks »

Feeling your pain at the moment mate.....I have been in the job for 4 years ,and reading your post brought it all back to me. I remember being stuck on walks not knowing even where the walk started, not knowing whether to turn left or right coming out the depot. No-one would speak to me, because everybody would be in a rush to get out. I wouldn,t know where the bag drops were - it was totally miserable. I,d leave the depot last at 10am, (starting at 6) and get back at 4 sometimes later. I,d be half way through my round and posties would pass me going home, it was a lonely little existence - but - i got through it. I looked upon it as serving an apprenticeship. Make sure you book every hour, and don,t take it too seriously, the job just ain,t worth it. You will get quicker ,and one day you will look back and laugh about how you struggled.
RetroJunkie
Posts: 165
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 16:06
Gender: Female

Re: Is this job for me ?

Post by RetroJunkie »

Gotta point out first n foremost, for the newbies who once or if ever never showed respect towards us posties and gave us s**t like alot of customers do, it is kinda karma in away, i mean i feel for the guy i really do, theirs no other way but to grit ur teeth n plough threw this s**t as a new starter, as u really do need large balls to work for the Royal Mail and its modern ways.

I'm just waiting for the re-sign and all hell to break loose in my office, but for now ima chill after a hard day at the office :cuppa
gunny3k
Posts: 9
Joined: 04 Jan 2011, 19:12
Gender: Male

Re: Is this job for me ?

Post by gunny3k »

48ricks wrote:Feeling your pain at the moment mate.....I have been in the job for 4 years ,and reading your post brought it all back to me. I remember being stuck on walks not knowing even where the walk started, not knowing whether to turn left or right coming out the depot. No-one would speak to me, because everybody would be in a rush to get out. I wouldn,t know where the bag drops were - it was totally miserable. I,d leave the depot last at 10am, (starting at 6) and get back at 4 sometimes later. I,d be half way through my round and posties would pass me going home, it was a lonely little existence - but - i got through it. I looked upon it as serving an apprenticeship. Make sure you book every hour, and don,t take it too seriously, the job just ain,t worth it. You will get quicker ,and one day you will look back and laugh about how you struggled.
A little tip for newbies and what helped me a great deal. If you have an Android phone use the Google Navigation software which comes stock on the phone. You can set it to "walking" mode and it helped me a great deal when doing walks I have never been shown before and expected to do.

Obviously, I wouldn't suggest buying a new phone specially for the job, but if you do need a new phone then consider the one in the link below which is fairly cheap but comes with the navigation software.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... NCISCO.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;