ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by fly-catchers »

Six of my best tippers have died since last Christmas :d'oh! And another has moved to Australia! Perhaps they are trying to tell me something!

bill
dejavu
Posts: 193
Joined: 28 Sep 2009, 16:05
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by dejavu »

Ive lost a few to the grim reaper since last christmas. But once the santa outfit comes on the customers go mad for it. They love the thought of the postie being a big part of the build up for the kids and brings a smile to there faces. Last year I made 5-6 hundred quid plus bottles, chocs and smellys. You just need a secret weapon. :angel :dance :dance
The Bigamist
Posts: 17
Joined: 26 Oct 2009, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: The Registry Office

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by The Bigamist »

HESS wrote:One of my regular tipper's came out 2 years ago with my card....as I sped to the van to open it...got out of sight and ripped it open...there was nothing in it...!!!! I sat there for ages contemplating whether I should go back and tell her....what would I say , how could I word it without sounding like a beggar...? I checked the inside of the van from top to bottom several times.......even looked in the wing mirror to see if it had fell out on the way to van...then I'd go back to the card and search it again and again,again...!!! Never ever got that Fiver....yes that's right a Fiver...all that time spent looking for a Fiver...!! And yeah....I got it last year....dozy auld mare musta forgot it 2 yrs ago...!! I wish I'd went back an asked...!!! :left:

Never put you down for a begger ! You been learnin fae the KA7 bung squad !!!!?
bunkerland
Posts: 546
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by bunkerland »

music4essex wrote:A lady 2yrs back use to give me a hanndful of sweets and some cards to hand out to her neighbours as she was on a oxygen tank, anyway last year she gave me this plastic picnic plate , thought this has gone up in the world, but sadly she was giving a lot of things away as she had decided to give up life and starved herself of the oxygen tank and passed away soon after xmas,

Essex mum :wave
Thanks for cheering us all up :sad: ! Have you considered a part-time job with the Samaritans? :hmmmm
Edward Hunter
Posts: 680
Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by Edward Hunter »

Had one bloke tell me to "wait a minute" and he tramped off in to the house shouting to his wife "where`s the postmans tip" Much banging and clattering for what seemed like ages and back he comes "merry christmas" he said handing over a packet of pot pourri. :roll:
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by krussel »

bunkerland wrote:
music4essex wrote:A lady 2yrs back use to give me a hanndful of sweets and some cards to hand out to her neighbours as she was on a oxygen tank, anyway last year she gave me this plastic picnic plate , thought this has gone up in the world, but sadly she was giving a lot of things away as she had decided to give up life and starved herself of the oxygen tank and passed away soon after xmas,

Essex mum :wave
Thanks for cheering us all up :sad: ! Have you considered a part-time job with the Samaritans? :hmmmm

:left: :left: :left:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by DGP1 »

I deliver to the local Rabbi..............................I'll leave that joke for the rest of you :wink:
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
anTi
Posts: 380
Joined: 19 Oct 2009, 15:54
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by anTi »

1st tip of the year yesterday.

£3 from some old dear.

More required :)...
RedBagMan
Posts: 1010
Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male
Location: Behind the lens

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by RedBagMan »

First Christmas for me - although I've been on the same walk for pretty much 5 months - no idea what to expect ...
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by OnAFlyer »

RedBagMan wrote:First Christmas for me - although I've been on the same walk for pretty much 5 months - no idea what to expect ...
Depends on the area you deliver in and if people like you or not. Our office delivers to shitty estates and the average is probably 30-£50, the longer you're on a walk though the more you get. I've been on mine 8 years and got £150ish last year, plus wine, chocs etc.

I did once get a bar of soap off an old woman, didn't know whether to laugh or have a shower :oops:
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by TeeferTiger »

When I had my own proper delivery round, and got conned out of it, the guy I trained up and then replaced me, got an apple as one of his tips...

I got a fiver from one of my customers earlier this year. I think I'd probably have done alright for tips this year if I hadn't been off sick since July :neutral: :roll:
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
SWIM
Posts: 425
Joined: 11 Jan 2010, 20:33
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by SWIM »

£730 last year,plus few bottles of wine and box of chocolates.
'deal of the century' - dingo
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by fishtank »

£25million and a private jet last year but this year i'm on a van share so no doubt i'll have to split the tips. :roll: :chuckle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
post_bitch
Posts: 913
Joined: 25 Jun 2010, 14:52
Gender: Female

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by post_bitch »

£1250 last year :oops:
clean and original ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkkC9cK8Hz0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: Christmas Tips..What are some people thinking?!!!

Post by stokes11eg »

:Very Happy I'm grateful for anything! but there are a few regulars who wait until after Christmas, and then give me what is usually their unwanted gifts! However, now I'm on a different round, I expect nothing! And, how much do you give your own postie by the way! Use to give my regular a fiver, but no time for the chancer who does my house now, so he will be getting nowt! One year, I must have had about twenty tins of those 99pence boxes of cheap biscuits!