ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

quitting job

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
REDLETTER
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 748
Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
Gender: Male
Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL

Re: quitting job

Post by REDLETTER »

coxie wrote:go sick for as long as you can get away with and just dont go back, say stress of the job
You beat me to that one, just ring up from South America once in a while just too say, you still not feeling well :crazy: :crazy:
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: quitting job

Post by fishtank »

REDLETTER wrote:
coxie wrote:go sick for as long as you can get away with and just dont go back, say stress of the job
You beat me to that one, just ring up from South America once in a while just too say, you still not feeling well :crazy: :crazy:
It's not in my opinion a good idea.
This job may be s**t at the moment but GK and his gf are taking a big life changing decision,he doesn't want to be carrying RM baggage over there with him and if god forbid it doesn't work out for him at least coming back would be an option even if it would be hard to stomach.
Plus the small fact that it would be kind of difficult to see his local doctor/hand in a sick note from South America. :chuckle
Oh and it would be fraud. :neutral:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: quitting job

Post by TeeferTiger »

What's a little fraud between friends?! :chuckle

Besides... they can't extradite you from South America can they?! :nervous
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
goldenknut
Posts: 42
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 16:35

Re: quitting job

Post by goldenknut »

All very tempting ideas, but to my knowledge if they try to claim wages back under false pretences ie in south America, I think the post office can get the money back from what they have paid into my pension.

Have not been sick for 13 months may get sick for a week before I go, i can see that happening as will be so busy in next few weeks can see me getting run down, so easy then to catch some flu :roll:
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: quitting job

Post by DirtyHarry »

goldenknut wrote:All very tempting ideas, but to my knowledge if they try to claim wages back under false pretences ie in south America, I think the post office can get the money back from what they have paid into my pension.

Have not been sick for 13 months may get sick for a week before I go, i can see that happening as will be so busy in next few weeks can see me getting run down, so easy then to catch some flu :roll:
Good luck, golden. :wave
REDLETTER
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 748
Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
Gender: Male
Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL

Re: quitting job

Post by REDLETTER »

fishtank wrote:
REDLETTER wrote:
coxie wrote:go sick for as long as you can get away with and just dont go back, say stress of the job
You beat me to that one, just ring up from South America once in a while just too say, you still not feeling well :crazy: :crazy:
It's not in my opinion a good idea.
This job may be s**t at the moment but GK and his gf are taking a big life changing decision,he doesn't want to be carrying RM baggage over there with him and if god forbid it doesn't work out for him at least coming back would be an option even if it would be hard to stomach.
Plus the small fact that it would be kind of difficult to see his local doctor/hand in a sick note from South America. :chuckle
Oh and it would be fraud. :neutral:

You are much tooooooooooooooo serious! :Very Happy

It's amazing how sun tanned a few at our DO are when they come back off the sick! :whistle

Would he be carrying a 16kg RM Baggage?????!!!!!

I think most people who are making these life changing decisions have a bit more common sense than to pull a sickie halfway across the globe, after 20 years with RM Who would want to come back, or did you just mean to the UK! :wink:
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: quitting job

Post by Judgee »

Good luck to you, definitely worth a shot as far as I can see. If it all turns to poop what have you lost... a crap job run by tossers!

Sounds like a win/win situation to me :wink:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
goldenknut
Posts: 42
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 16:35

Re: quitting job

Post by goldenknut »

Thank you to all who have written kind words of support .
Even if I wanted to stay, the general war and tear on my body joints, from 20 years in the job, would only start to get worse.
:dance a good dose of sun I think will do me good.that, and a few cold beers at 50 pence a bottle :wave
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: quitting job

Post by Judgee »

Any room in your suitcase? I'd buy the first round at the other end? :nana
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
goldenknut
Posts: 42
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 16:35

Re: quitting job

Post by goldenknut »

Hi All, just an update
been here for just over a week, been fun as my Spanish is very basic, just got our home connected to the internet so will keep reading this forum.
I see on the news a lot of bad weather is on the way in the next 24 hours, I am not gloating but ok nights here are cool can even get a mild frost...but since i have been here the days have all been between 68=74f
have a nice 2 bed apartment with my gf...for about 150 pounds a month
24 bottles of local beer cost me about 7 pounds imported beer is about twice the price
12 fresh bread rolls are about 50 pence
brought a 12oz steak to cook for about 1 pound fifty

so glad to get out of the job. had done my time... over 20 years walking the streets.
please all be safe in the bad weather... and an early merry xmas to you all

I know some can not get out of the job, but this is the best thing I have ever done
no stress and this warmer weather have not had my usual pains in back and knees I been getting on a cold December morning in uk

kind regards goldenknut in S americia :Very Happy
smokerjim
Posts: 1921
Joined: 13 Jun 2007, 22:27
Gender: Male
Location: In a corner, thinking "I've picked a bad week to give up smoking..."

Re: quitting job

Post by smokerjim »

Cheers, goldenknut, as I read that it made me smile ( with some jealousy as well :chuckle ), but I'm glad you're enjoying the change of scene & I hope it continues to work out well for you & hey, don't be a stranger to these pages :Applause :Applause
I don't suppose your mouth bleeds every 28 days, does it?

Mail delivery; those that can, do, those that can't, MANAGE!
mucker
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 605
Joined: 25 Oct 2007, 14:12
Gender: Female
Location: cloud cookoo land

Re: quitting job

Post by mucker »

no stress and this warmer weather have not had my usual pains in back and knees
reading your post as my knees are playing up and plenty off stress from royal fail,best of luck to you jammy git :wave :Applause
"I have opinions of my own –strong opinions– but I don’t always agree with them"

Always Tell The Truth. If You Can't Always Tell The Truth,Don't Lie

"2010 And Beyond" The Year Of The Pay Cut...£3.01 Sub's For The Worst Deal In CWU History...