ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Does 4hour30+ Deliveries signal the end of 20 hour contracts

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
pop it in pete
Posts: 351
Joined: 09 Jun 2007, 23:03
Location: lazy town

Re: Does 4hour30+ Deliveries signal the end of 20 hour contr

Post by pop it in pete »

Cant see 20hr contracts going myself. Remember the new buzz words "FLEXING UP". Thats just what they expect the lower hr contracts to want to do on the days traffic is high. But only pay them for 2ohrs when on leave.
A work hungry workforce in a very dodge finacial climate wow Royal Mail have created the capitalists dream ladscape in a nationalised industry. Arnt they the clever bastards!!!!
Ofcourse they could never have done it with out full cooperation with the workforce via the union :oops:
Guevarista
Posts: 79
Joined: 04 Mar 2010, 17:38
Gender: Male

Re: Does 4hour30+ Deliveries signal the end of 20 hour contr

Post by Guevarista »

NewPostieUK wrote:-


"Yes, you claim overtime for the hours you do in excess of your contracted hours.

Here's my hours:
Sat, Mon and Tues I work 5 hours. Wed Thurs and Fri I work 6 hours.
My contract? 25 hours.


:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:"

A prime example of how part-timers are f****d over in RM. Your contract states 25hrs, yet your regular working hours are (unless my maths is failing me) 27.5. I wonder if your holiday/sick/delivery supplement/bonus payments are pro rata to the hours you actually work..... no, didn't think so!
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Does 4hour30+ Deliveries signal the end of 20 hour contr

Post by NewPostieUK »

I know what you mean when you say it can't be done, but since when have Royal Mail been bothered about contracted hours being equal to hours needed to complete? I'm a prime example. My start and finish times bare no resemblance to my actual contracted hours. Come to think of it, my start and finish times rarely reflect the hours actually taken to do the duty.
Guevarista wrote:NewPostieUK wrote:-

"Yes, you claim overtime for the hours you do in excess of your contracted hours.

Here's my hours:
Sat, Mon and Tues I work 5 hours. Wed Thurs and Fri I work 6 hours.
My contract? 25 hours.


:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:"

A prime example of how part-timers are f****d over in RM. Your contract states 25hrs, yet your regular working hours are (unless my maths is failing me) 27.5. I wonder if your holiday/sick/delivery supplement/bonus payments are pro rata to the hours you actually work..... no, didn't think so!
Spot on.
gb93
Posts: 1462
Joined: 29 Oct 2009, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: Does 4hour30+ Deliveries signal the end of 20 hour contr

Post by gb93 »

Couple of quick questions Newpostie
Are you a signed for duty holder,covering a vacant duty or a reserve.
And do you get SA for the extra hours you work over your contract.
This ain't no baseball game, you get only one chance and you blew it.
speedypostman
Posts: 51
Joined: 24 Aug 2010, 17:50
Gender: Male

Re: Does 4hour30+ Deliveries signal the end of 20 hour contr

Post by speedypostman »

RM won't change the contracts because they only pay you on a 20 hours for holiday pay and sickness, not even going into the pension at that point. They think at least 90% of those contract holders will do the overtime because of the money factor so why should they. I wouldn't. But you can work your contracted hours without any overtime and that would F**k up your lino or dino and nothing they can do about it. As for flexibility, tell them you have others things to. Looks like management will be busy in the next few month on the pavement....
oralrural
Posts: 43
Joined: 26 Jul 2007, 19:05
Gender: Female

Re: Does 4hour30+ Deliveries signal the end of 20 hour contr

Post by oralrural »

gb93 wrote:Can 20 hour contracts work on longer delivery spans, I can't see it.
Anyone tell me how it can be done, I reckon it could be 25 hour min contracts.
Don't know where you get 4hour 30+deliveries from.
Next month we are starting the next phase on van sharing and our delivery time is to be 3hours and 50 mins looking forward to it and the bonus payment.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Does 4hour30+ Deliveries signal the end of 20 hour contr

Post by NewPostieUK »

gb93 wrote:Couple of quick questions Newpostie
Are you a signed for duty holder,covering a vacant duty or a reserve.
And do you get SA for the extra hours you work over your contract.
I'm a floater, doing duty holders day off, but haven't signed for anything, and I get changed around to cover absence etc. Duty holders often work their day off, and I'll do a different duty.

Every wed, thurs and fri I have to claim one hour overtime, plus any 'real' overtime. That one hour is just finishing at my proper time. Can't remember what SA is, no one has ever mentioned it, I've just heard of it on here.

Evvery time my day off is a wed, thurs or fri, I get ripped off, as I only get 5 hrs pay, yet always work 6 on those days.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Does 4hour30+ Deliveries signal the end of 20 hour contr

Post by fishtank »

NewPostieUK wrote:
Evvery time my day off is a wed, thurs or fri, I get ripped off, as I only get 5 hrs pay, yet always work 6 on those days.

You don't get any hrs pay on your day off....that's why they call it a day off.
Although i understand your point that you've lost the opportunity to earn 6hrs.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Does 4hour30+ Deliveries signal the end of 20 hour contr

Post by NewPostieUK »

fishtank wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:
Evvery time my day off is a wed, thurs or fri, I get ripped off, as I only get 5 hrs pay, yet always work 6 on those days.

You don't get any hrs pay on your day off....that's why they call it a day off.
Although i understand your point that you've lost the opportunity to earn 6hrs.
:oops: What I meant was (OK I didn't, I was just confused) holidays. Yes, that's it, if I have a holiday on those days, I get ripped off. Good friday for example, and every time I have a week off I get 5x5 hrs.
gb93
Posts: 1462
Joined: 29 Oct 2009, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: Does 4hour30+ Deliveries signal the end of 20 hour contr

Post by gb93 »

If your overtime on wed,thur & fri is planned every week then you could ask for scheduled attendance for them 3 hours which is a higher pay rate.
But then Dom could turn round and say ok then you ungratefull sod just do your 5 hour contracted and I will lapse the 3 hours or give someone else the overtime.
If you are a reserve covering a vacant floater duty i am surprisedyou get the extra hour at all honestly.
If your contract is 25 hours then any overtime is voluntary and is not due to be paid while on annual leave or sick.
This ain't no baseball game, you get only one chance and you blew it.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Does 4hour30+ Deliveries signal the end of 20 hour contr

Post by POSTMAN »

oralrural wrote:
Don't know where you get 4hour 30+deliveries from.
Next month we are starting the next phase on van sharing and our delivery time is to be 3hours and 50 mins looking forward to it and the bonus payment.
Strange,i would of thought you would of got replies about 5-6hr deliveries. :hmmmm
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Does 4hour30+ Deliveries signal the end of 20 hour contr

Post by dvbuk55 »

POSTMAN wrote:
oralrural wrote:
Don't know where you get 4hour 30+deliveries from.
Next month we are starting the next phase on van sharing and our delivery time is to be 3hours and 50 mins looking forward to it and the bonus payment.
Strange,i would of thought you would of got replies about 5-6hr deliveries. :hmmmm
Could you itemise the delivery, like what you are doing for the 8 hour shift? That would perhaps help others. I mean does the 3 hours 50 include the parcels and packets, the specials and tracked? How about IPS and prep.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Does 4hour30+ Deliveries signal the end of 20 hour contr

Post by fishtank »

POSTMAN wrote:
oralrural wrote:
Don't know where you get 4hour 30+deliveries from.
Next month we are starting the next phase on van sharing and our delivery time is to be 3hours and 50 mins looking forward to it and the bonus payment.
Strange,i would of thought you would of got replies about 5-6hr deliveries. :hmmmm
There are two directions an office can take.

A)It can go for longer deliveries and attempt to provide more full-time positions(although less jobs overall).
B)It can accept a higher ratio of part-timers thus providing more indoor work for the full-timers and therefore keep the span slightly shorter.

Both are valid options and offices should be looking at both but obviously both have drawbacks.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
steven100
Posts: 1391
Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 12:35
Gender: Male

Re: Does 4hour30+ Deliveries signal the end of 20 hour contr

Post by steven100 »

People may stay part-time but work on certain days, probably Thurs, fri and sat.