ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Missorts on Delivery

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Missorts on Delivery

Post by Lounge Lizard »

kitkatchunky wrote:
jack straw wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:Sort the mail carefully and you won't have any missorts. :Very Happy :nana :crazy: :nana :Very Happy
Smug fool. I've met your type before :Applause
loads of FT's at our office like him.
So part timers don't occasionally make frivolous comments to liven up the discussion ? :crazy: :crazy:
proper postie
Posts: 328
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 18:26
Gender: Male

Re: Missorts on Delivery

Post by proper postie »

The rule in our D.O is that 1st class/downstream missorts go that day,if you have to go over due to it you get paid accordingly.2nd class/mailsort can be returned for delivery the next day.

I'm in no way stating this as gospel and that's the way it goes down,but that's the guidelines handed down to us.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Missorts on Delivery

Post by POSTMAN »

A missort is a missort regardless of whether it's 1st class,DSA,Mailsort ect.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
proper postie
Posts: 328
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 18:26
Gender: Male

Re: Missorts on Delivery

Post by proper postie »

POSTMAN wrote:A missort is a missort regardless of whether it's 1st class,DSA,Mailsort ect.
I'm talking about prepped missorts that you find out on delivery though.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Missorts on Delivery

Post by POSTMAN »

proper postie wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:A missort is a missort regardless of whether it's 1st class,DSA,Mailsort ect.
I'm talking about prepped missorts that you find out on delivery though.
Same thing,are you saying that your managers say you deliver DSA missort but don't worry about the rest?
That's what it looks like to me hense my post.
The rule in our D.O is that 1st class/downstream missorts go that day,if you have to go over due to it you get paid accordingly.2nd class/mailsort can be returned for delivery the next day.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Thehair
Posts: 221
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 22:35
Gender: Male

Re: Missorts on Delivery

Post by Thehair »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
kitkatchunky wrote:
jack straw wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:Sort the mail carefully and you won't have any missorts. :Very Happy :nana :crazy: :nana :Very Happy
Smug fool. I've met your type before :Applause
loads of FT's at our office like him.
So part timers don't occasionally make frivolous comments to liven up the discussion ? :crazy: :crazy:
I found it to be a frivolous comment and was quite suprised at the bites it created :crazy: . Just for the record I was advised by an old postie a decade ago never to go back, I stand by his advice :Very Happy
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Re: Missorts on Delivery

Post by redneck »

Terry Butcher wrote:I'm a part-timer (i use that term lightly!), and like you my walk is also prepped by a full timer. I will stick any missorts for later on in my walk in my pouch and deliver them when i get to the address...if i remember them, they are by no means priority! If i have already delivered to the address of the missort there's no chance of it getting delivered that day, not even if it's only a short distance away! There's nothing more annoying than going back on yourself, especially if you have to frequently do it to pick up bags at a drop point. It feels so counter-productive, plus it's time consuming. The only time i will go back is on the rare occasion i forget about a special or a recorded is missorted. At the end of the day i nearly always have what i call a "s**t pile", which consists purely of missorts, most for my walk and some for other parts of the country that managed to sneak into my frame! :hmmmm They end up in the nearest post box and more often than not they greet me the next day!

I don't get paid enough to go out of my way to rectify the mistakes of others, I'm not lazy but i don't see why i should put in the extra effort when whoever prepped my walk couldn't give a crap! I'm glad you brought this up because it's another annoying aspect of the part timer's job that is often overlooked by full-timers. I've lost count of the number of heavy flats i've had to cart around because of someone else's mistake. I swear it seems like Stevie Wonder preps my walk some days... :Very Happy
That is spot on - it's what I find as well as a 'delivery boy' only. I would say though that when my mail is sorted by other part timers the s**t really hits the fan big time. Some days I've put 30/40 letters back in the box, absolutely inundated. And yes they do come back the next day or two, sometimes incorrectly sorted again!We should all be sorting our own mail for our own delivery, but it doesn't seem to be in RM's scope to do this.
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: Missorts on Delivery

Post by Himaggen »

I would suggest that if you are not the regular walk holder then you return each and every mis-prepped letter to the office, (regardless of whether or not you've been to that delivery point yet or not).

If questioned you explain that due to the mail being mis-prepped redirection and other checks have not taken place on them and since the integrity of that mail is paramount those required checks should be undertaken first!
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: Missorts on Delivery

Post by stokes11eg »

redneck wrote:
Terry Butcher wrote:I'm a part-timer (i use that term lightly!), and like you my walk is also prepped by a full timer. I will stick any missorts for later on in my walk in my pouch and deliver them when i get to the address...if i remember them, they are by no means priority! If i have already delivered to the address of the missort there's no chance of it getting delivered that day, not even if it's only a short distance away! There's nothing more annoying than going back on yourself, especially if you have to frequently do it to pick up bags at a drop point. It feels so counter-productive, plus it's time consuming. The only time i will go back is on the rare occasion i forget about a special or a recorded is missorted. At the end of the day i nearly always have what i call a "s**t pile", which consists purely of missorts, most for my walk and some for other parts of the country that managed to sneak into my frame! :hmmmm They end up in the nearest post box and more often than not they greet me the next day!

I don't get paid enough to go out of my way to rectify the mistakes of others, I'm not lazy but i don't see why i should put in the extra effort when whoever prepped my walk couldn't give a crap! I'm glad you brought this up because it's another annoying aspect of the part timer's job that is often overlooked by full-timers. I've lost count of the number of heavy flats i've had to cart around because of someone else's mistake. I swear it seems like Stevie Wonder preps my walk some days... :Very Happy
That is spot on - it's what I find as well as a 'delivery boy' only. I would say though that when my mail is sorted by other part timers the s**t really hits the fan big time. Some days I've put 30/40 letters back in the box, absolutely inundated. And yes they do come back the next day or two, sometimes incorrectly sorted again!We should all be sorting our own mail for our own delivery, but it doesn't seem to be in RM's scope to do this.
:crazy: You are on sticky ground if you just pop letters back in the post box, especially if you do not endorse them. When they go back through the sorting machines, and get re franked, the machines caN pick this up, and in our area at least, this is flagged up.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Missorts on Delivery

Post by krussel »

stokes11eg wrote:
redneck wrote:
Terry Butcher wrote:I'm a part-timer (i use that term lightly!), and like you my walk is also prepped by a full timer. I will stick any missorts for later on in my walk in my pouch and deliver them when i get to the address...if i remember them, they are by no means priority! If i have already delivered to the address of the missort there's no chance of it getting delivered that day, not even if it's only a short distance away! There's nothing more annoying than going back on yourself, especially if you have to frequently do it to pick up bags at a drop point. It feels so counter-productive, plus it's time consuming. The only time i will go back is on the rare occasion i forget about a special or a recorded is missorted. At the end of the day i nearly always have what i call a "s**t pile", which consists purely of missorts, most for my walk and some for other parts of the country that managed to sneak into my frame! :hmmmm They end up in the nearest post box and more often than not they greet me the next day!

I don't get paid enough to go out of my way to rectify the mistakes of others, I'm not lazy but i don't see why i should put in the extra effort when whoever prepped my walk couldn't give a crap! I'm glad you brought this up because it's another annoying aspect of the part timer's job that is often overlooked by full-timers. I've lost count of the number of heavy flats i've had to cart around because of someone else's mistake. I swear it seems like Stevie Wonder preps my walk some days... :Very Happy
That is spot on - it's what I find as well as a 'delivery boy' only. I would say though that when my mail is sorted by other part timers the s**t really hits the fan big time. Some days I've put 30/40 letters back in the box, absolutely inundated. And yes they do come back the next day or two, sometimes incorrectly sorted again!We should all be sorting our own mail for our own delivery, but it doesn't seem to be in RM's scope to do this.
:crazy: You are on sticky ground if you just pop letters back in the post box, especially if you do not endorse them. When they go back through the sorting machines, and get re franked, the machines caN pick this up, and in our area at least, this is flagged up.
:shock: :shock: :shock: i never knew that :nervous
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Missorts on Delivery

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

krussel wrote:
stokes11eg wrote:
redneck wrote:
Terry Butcher wrote:I'm a part-timer (i use that term lightly!), and like you my walk is also prepped by a full timer. I will stick any missorts for later on in my walk in my pouch and deliver them when i get to the address...if i remember them, they are by no means priority! If i have already delivered to the address of the missort there's no chance of it getting delivered that day, not even if it's only a short distance away! There's nothing more annoying than going back on yourself, especially if you have to frequently do it to pick up bags at a drop point. It feels so counter-productive, plus it's time consuming. The only time i will go back is on the rare occasion i forget about a special or a recorded is missorted. At the end of the day i nearly always have what i call a "s**t pile", which consists purely of missorts, most for my walk and some for other parts of the country that managed to sneak into my frame! :hmmmm They end up in the nearest post box and more often than not they greet me the next day!

I don't get paid enough to go out of my way to rectify the mistakes of others, I'm not lazy but i don't see why i should put in the extra effort when whoever prepped my walk couldn't give a crap! I'm glad you brought this up because it's another annoying aspect of the part timer's job that is often overlooked by full-timers. I've lost count of the number of heavy flats i've had to cart around because of someone else's mistake. I swear it seems like Stevie Wonder preps my walk some days... :Very Happy
That is spot on - it's what I find as well as a 'delivery boy' only. I would say though that when my mail is sorted by other part timers the s**t really hits the fan big time. Some days I've put 30/40 letters back in the box, absolutely inundated. And yes they do come back the next day or two, sometimes incorrectly sorted again!We should all be sorting our own mail for our own delivery, but it doesn't seem to be in RM's scope to do this.
:crazy: You are on sticky ground if you just pop letters back in the post box, especially if you do not endorse them. When they go back through the sorting machines, and get re franked, the machines caN pick this up, and in our area at least, this is flagged up.
:shock: :shock: :shock: i never knew that :nervous
I can confirm it my Manager a few months back brought a load of unendorsed letters, from the same house, to me asking why I had just dumped them in the Post Box. After checking them out I pointed out that some were 6 months old and it was clear someone was clearing out a house.

Apparently the machines at the MC had kicked them out and they were flagged up by a Manager.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: Missorts on Delivery

Post by stokes11eg »

:shock: Yes, it is traceable---again, always endorse every item, and if putting back in letterbox, they should be in a pouch bag.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Missorts on Delivery

Post by POSTMAN »

You may find that collections are having their box collections checked as well.
Happened down our way once and one of guys got busted,got away with it though.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
beastman
Posts: 36
Joined: 24 Jan 2010, 16:57
Gender: Male

Re: Missorts on Delivery

Post by beastman »

this might seem a daft question but endorse them with what? Do you write something on them ? (like mis-sort)
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Missorts on Delivery

Post by POSTMAN »

beastman wrote:this might seem a daft question but endorse them with what? Do you write something on them ? (like mis-sort)
I used to when i was walking just put a little 'MS' on the letter somwhere.If the customer was to see miss sort on a letter!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.