ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Advice needed.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Advice needed.

Post by andy2007 »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
fishtank wrote:Well all i can say is don't any of you dare get old and suffer from mental illness :shock: and if you do.....expect roughly the same treatment. :cuppa
Precisely. When I get older and suffer worse from mental illness I will need a one way ticket to Zurich Dignitas woll sort me out. :nana :nana :nana :nana
Yeah go on laugh and scoff at .......................forgot what I was going to.............what day is it? :oops:
No, not lauighing :sad: When I was off work with depression for some considerable time my doctor had me down as suicidal, and though I get by alright day to day now, I'm not much better and basically have been around for plenty long enough. :sad: .
It's still insensitive, and dangerous to start suggesting that everyone in that position should be sent there. If someone CHOOSES to do that, when they have a TERMINAL illness, then it's their choice. But if they DON'T have a terminal illness, then it's wrong to suggest that they go there. Think of thier Families. :hmmmm

Believe me. It causes a lot of distress for the Family, if someone chooses to die. I know that you weren't taking this lightly. But please bear in mind that there would be consequences for those left behind.
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Advice needed.

Post by andy2007 »

mclovin wrote:Maybe I should refuse to deliver her mail on the grounds she might stick a screwdriver in me neck.
Yes, that's exactly what you should do. She may be old, but if she get's her hands on anything sharp, she could still do some serious harm. It's not worth the risk.
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Advice needed.

Post by Lounge Lizard »

andy2007 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
fishtank wrote:Well all i can say is don't any of you dare get old and suffer from mental illness :shock: and if you do.....expect roughly the same treatment. :cuppa
Precisely. When I get older and suffer worse from mental illness I will need a one way ticket to Zurich Dignitas woll sort me out. :nana :nana :nana :nana
Yeah go on laugh and scoff at .......................forgot what I was going to.............what day is it? :oops:
No, not lauighing :sad: When I was off work with depression for some considerable time my doctor had me down as suicidal, and though I get by alright day to day now, I'm not much better and basically have been around for plenty long enough. :sad: .
It's still insensitive, and dangerous to start suggesting that everyone in that position should be sent there. If someone CHOOSES to do that, when they have a TERMINAL illness, then it's their choice. But if they DON'T have a terminal illness, then it's wrong to suggest that they go there. Think of thier Families. :hmmmm

Believe me. It causes a lot of distress for the Family, if someone chooses to die. I know that you weren't taking this lightly. But please bear in mind that there would be consequences for those left behind.
Yes, I accept that my comment was insensitive and perhaps inappropriate, but when ones own life is of so little value there can be a tendancy to think likewise of others. :sad:
itscurtains
Posts: 18
Joined: 25 Jul 2010, 10:29
Gender: Male

Re: Advice needed.

Post by itscurtains »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
fishtank wrote:Well all i can say is don't any of you dare get old and suffer from mental illness :shock: and if you do.....expect roughly the same treatment. :cuppa
Precisely. When I get older and suffer worse from mental illness I will need a one way ticket to Zurich Dignitas woll sort me out. :nana :nana :nana :nana
Yeah go on laugh and scoff at .......................forgot what I was going to.............what day is it? :oops:
No, not lauighing :sad: When I was off work with depression for some considerable time my doctor had me down as suicidal, and though I get by alright day to day now, I'm not much better and basically have been around for plenty long enough. :sad: .



Is depression not covered by the Dissability Descrimination Act?
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Advice needed.

Post by andy2007 »

Yes, it is.
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
bogstandard
Posts: 1074
Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16

Re: Advice needed.

Post by bogstandard »

you were given a warning by the warden of the home not to interact with this individual. Get your H and S rep on it.
the age and your percieved ability of the person will do you no good if they have the mindset to achieve their goal, which as far as you know could be, that the next time they see the postie they are going to ...
it is unfortunate that your personal safety has been threatened, your manager MUST act now, IMPO they have no choice.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Re: Advice needed.

Post by General Mannerheim »

andy2007 wrote:Yes, it is.
Not always,because depression can be mild or severe.IF it's long term then yes it is,or is highly likely that it will last 12 months or more then again yes it probably is.
Especially if you want to take it to an employment tribunal,there have been cases thrown out as they regard each case on merit(based on medical evidence) and not all people who have depression suffer with it for months on end. :roll:
Although there has been a recent landmark case :silenced where the tribunal ruled that tribunals did not have to find a specific medical condition that an employee was provably suffering from as a prerequisite for ruling that they had been discriminated against.

And:The EAT said that if someone behaves as if they are suffering depression and their abilities suffer as a result, then tribunals will most likely find that they are suffering from depression and can be protected under the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA).It's a legal minefield at the moment. :crazy: As it's gone to another appeal hearing.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
itscurtains
Posts: 18
Joined: 25 Jul 2010, 10:29
Gender: Male

Re: Advice needed.

Post by itscurtains »

General Mannerheim wrote:
andy2007 wrote:Yes, it is.
Not always,because depression can be mild or severe.IF it's long term then yes it is,or is highly likely that it will last 12 months or more then again yes it probably is.
Especially if you want to take it to an employment tribunal,there have been cases thrown out as they regard each case on merit(based on medical evidence) and not all people who have depression suffer with it for months on end. :roll:
Although there has been a recent landmark case :silenced where the tribunal ruled that tribunals did not have to find a specific medical condition that an employee was provably suffering from as a prerequisite for ruling that they had been discriminated against.

And:The EAT said that if someone behaves as if they are suffering depression and their abilities suffer as a result, then tribunals will most likely find that they are suffering from depression and can be protected under the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA).It's a legal minefield at the moment. :crazy: As it's gone to another appeal hearing.
Intresting

I had bouts (suicide thoughts but not attempted) in 1995 1998 2003 and 2004. :oops: Was put on lots of pills as many did not work so "let’s try this one". Had counselling NHS and Private. Had approx 6 weeks off each bout. I joined RM in 2004 and have been 80% ok (coped with it) since but no medication or sick leave due to depression. In fact very little sick leave for anything. :Very Happy I am ok but cannot handle pressure at all. :Boo hoo! If left alone especially by DIMS/Damagers in other jobs I am Ok and get on with job. I work very well alone. (not colleagues but bosses if you get my drift. Am not a loner) new boss has started and I can feel it coming back so who knows what the next few months will bring. :crazy: My quack will sign me off instantly so I presume I would be covered and ATOS would understand this?

If ever angry due to depression I just don’t give a flying phuck :evil/mad and although realise this is not good job wise STILL do not care who I direct it at or the consequences until a few days later when calm. Others on the good ship Black Dog will probably understand this? I hope I am covered by the DDA :shock:

Would like to add that I made RM aware of this at the interview and mentioned it since to many a DIM. Its on my file/application form. I also gave permission for RM to see my quack.
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Re: Advice needed.

Post by General Mannerheim »

itscurtains wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:
andy2007 wrote:Yes, it is.
Not always,because depression can be mild or severe.IF it's long term then yes it is,or is highly likely that it will last 12 months or more then again yes it probably is.
Especially if you want to take it to an employment tribunal,there have been cases thrown out as they regard each case on merit(based on medical evidence) and not all people who have depression suffer with it for months on end. :roll:
Although there has been a recent landmark case :silenced where the tribunal ruled that tribunals did not have to find a specific medical condition that an employee was provably suffering from as a prerequisite for ruling that they had been discriminated against.

And:The EAT said that if someone behaves as if they are suffering depression and their abilities suffer as a result, then tribunals will most likely find that they are suffering from depression and can be protected under the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA).It's a legal minefield at the moment. :crazy: As it's gone to another appeal hearing.
Intresting

I had bouts (suicide thoughts but not attempted) in 1995 1998 2003 and 2004. :oops: Was put on lots of pills as many did not work so "let’s try this one". Had counselling NHS and Private. Had approx 6 weeks off each bout. I joined RM in 2004 and have been 80% ok (coped with it) since but no medication or sick leave due to depression. In fact very little sick leave for anything. :Very Happy I am ok but cannot handle pressure at all. :Boo hoo! If left alone especially by DIMS/Damagers in other jobs I am Ok and get on with job. I work very well alone. (not colleagues but bosses if you get my drift. Am not a loner) new boss has started and I can feel it coming back so who knows what the next few months will bring. :crazy: My quack will sign me off instantly so I presume I would be covered and ATOS would understand this?

If ever angry due to depression I just don’t give a flying phuck :evil/mad and although realise this is not good job wise STILL do not care who I direct it at or the consequences until a few days later when calm. Others on the good ship Black Dog will probably understand this? I hope I am covered by the DDA :shock:

Would like to add that I made RM aware of this at the interview and mentioned it since to many a DIM. Its on my file/application form. I also gave permission for RM to see my quack.
You've had depression a few times so it's a long standing case so WILL be covered,also as you disclosed your depression at the interview that would heaven forbid if you had to take it to a tribunal stand you in good course.
Here is a small section that I like to show people who have asked me before if they should disclose being depressed to an employer:

Because of the discrimination experienced by people with depression, many choose not to disclose their condition or to limit disclosure only to those who have to know. However, non-disclosure can cause problems if at a later stage they need to establish that their condition is severe and enduring. For example, in many cases people do not disclose their depression to a potential employer because they fear that this could count against them. However, if they become depressed later on, their employer may be able to lawfully dismiss them for failing to disclose their condition when they were first employed.

You should have nothing to be bothered about but we are talking Atos and Royal Mail here. :d'oh!
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
Eric Cantona
Posts: 365
Joined: 15 Jul 2010, 19:21
Gender: Male

Re: Advice needed.

Post by Eric Cantona »

Tell the Manager you feel threatened by this battleaxe and tell him its unsafe delivering to her and get the manager to write a letter sealed with cellotape telling her pick it up from the Delivery office, that will sicken her....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Advice needed.

Post by andy2007 »

RM Managers will try to find any "get out clause" they can, with DDA issues (I'm speaking from experience). But surprisingly, it was ATOS who came to my rescue. :shock: Admittedly, it wasn't one of those stupid telephone consultations, but a face to face appointment with one of their Doctors. Who backed up my Doctor, in saying that I was definately covered by the DDA (I've had problems with Depression on and off for 3 years now). And as a result, I'm being treated properly at work.

What I suggest you do, urgently. Is ask for a face to face appointment with an ATOS Doctor (whatever you do, don't settle for an Occupational Therapist or anyone else for that matter), and explain the situation to him/her. There's a long waiting list. But believe me. It's worth the wait. And in the meantime, ask your Doctor to confirm that you're covered by the DDA. There is help out there. But you need all of it, when dealing with RM Managers!
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
itscurtains
Posts: 18
Joined: 25 Jul 2010, 10:29
Gender: Male

Re: Advice needed.

Post by itscurtains »

General Mannerheim wrote:
itscurtains wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:
andy2007 wrote:Yes, it is.
Not always,because depression can be mild or severe.IF it's long term then yes it is,or is highly likely that it will last 12 months or more then again yes it probably is.
Especially if you want to take it to an employment tribunal,there have been cases thrown out as they regard each case on merit(based on medical evidence) and not all people who have depression suffer with it for months on end. :roll:
Although there has been a recent landmark case :silenced where the tribunal ruled that tribunals did not have to find a specific medical condition that an employee was provably suffering from as a prerequisite for ruling that they had been discriminated against.

And:The EAT said that if someone behaves as if they are suffering depression and their abilities suffer as a result, then tribunals will most likely find that they are suffering from depression and can be protected under the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA).It's a legal minefield at the moment. :crazy: As it's gone to another appeal hearing.
Intresting

I had bouts (suicide thoughts but not attempted) in 1995 1998 2003 and 2004. :oops: Was put on lots of pills as many did not work so "let’s try this one". Had counselling NHS and Private. Had approx 6 weeks off each bout. I joined RM in 2004 and have been 80% ok (coped with it) since but no medication or sick leave due to depression. In fact very little sick leave for anything. :Very Happy I am ok but cannot handle pressure at all. :Boo hoo! If left alone especially by DIMS/Damagers in other jobs I am Ok and get on with job. I work very well alone. (not colleagues but bosses if you get my drift. Am not a loner) new boss has started and I can feel it coming back so who knows what the next few months will bring. :crazy: My quack will sign me off instantly so I presume I would be covered and ATOS would understand this?

If ever angry due to depression I just don’t give a flying phuck :evil/mad and although realise this is not good job wise STILL do not care who I direct it at or the consequences until a few days later when calm. Others on the good ship Black Dog will probably understand this? I hope I am covered by the DDA :shock:

Would like to add that I made RM aware of this at the interview and mentioned it since to many a DIM. Its on my file/application form. I also gave permission for RM to see my quack.
You've had depression a few times so it's a long standing case so WILL be covered,also as you disclosed your depression at the interview that would heaven forbid if you had to take it to a tribunal stand you in good course.
Here is a small section that I like to show people who have asked me before if they should disclose being depressed to an employer:

Because of the discrimination experienced by people with depression, many choose not to disclose their condition or to limit disclosure only to those who have to know. However, non-disclosure can cause problems if at a later stage they need to establish that their condition is severe and enduring. For example, in many cases people do not disclose their depression to a potential employer because they fear that this could count against them. However, if they become depressed later on, their employer may be able to lawfully dismiss them for failing to disclose their condition when they were first employed.

You should have nothing to be bothered about but we are talking Atos and Royal Mail here. :d'oh!


I walked after 4 weeks into job as felt they took the "P" one day. DIM said at the "why did I walk interview" that his bosses though he was mad taking me on after he told them what I said at initial interview. He said I let him down but gave me yet another chance and kept me on. He said prove my bossses wrong. SInce then been ok but any pressure and I flip.

Thanks for advice. Much appriciated