ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

womens trousers

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
estelle
Posts: 194
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 10:31
Gender: Male

Re: womens trousers

Post by estelle »

I would go for the guys ones, but I've only just got the size 10's.

Ordered a couple of red polo shirts as well in extra small thinking that small would be too big - now I find that I have to peel them off at the end of a shift - just got to hope I don't start putting on weight (though with the run I've got, there is no chance of that)
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: womens trousers

Post by TeeferTiger »

My uniform is a right mismash...

Men's trousers (I refused to order size 20!! it's demoralising having to order 3 sizes bigger!), medium polo shirt, small hi viz, small stormproof coat.

The women's trousers are plain stupid. Why on earth do they taper down to the ankle?! I like my trousers to actually go over my shoes, not sit around my ankles making it look like I'm wearing bicycle clips.

They're like clown trousers... tiny waist, balloon out and then taper back in.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
estelle
Posts: 194
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 10:31
Gender: Male

Re: womens trousers

Post by estelle »

don't get me started on the waterproofs

I ordered small - they were so big I could fit me and my partner into them at the same time (yes, really)

I called up and asked if they did smaller ones, so was sent extra small. Whilst the jacket does fit around the shoulders, the arms are down to my ankles,the pockets are around the knees and it can still wrap around me twice.

I'm not as short as I sound though at 5'3'' and a bit.

No wonder I run around without a coat most of the year
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: womens trousers

Post by TeeferTiger »

estelle wrote:don't get me started on the waterproofs

I ordered small - they were so big I could fit me and my partner into them at the same time (yes, really)

I called up and asked if they did smaller ones, so was sent extra small. Whilst the jacket does fit around the shoulders, the arms are down to my ankles,the pockets are around the knees and it can still wrap around me twice.

I'm not as short as I sound though at 5'3'' and a bit.

No wonder I run around without a coat most of the year
I'm only 5ft 2. My small coat goes down to my knees and the arms a few inches past the ends of my outstretched fingers... On Wednesday, when my coat was too wet to carry on wearing for my other delivery stint, I found a coat in the pile to wear. It looked clean enough and didn't smell funny so I put it on.

It was halfway down my calves (sp?!) and I had to fold the sleeves over a few times just so I could find my hands. I could actually crouch down in it and hide. Also, the hood was massive and because I'd pulled the cords together to tie the hood under my chin because of the wind, it stuck up at the top and I looked like the Tefal man :oops:
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
estelle
Posts: 194
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 10:31
Gender: Male

Re: womens trousers

Post by estelle »

you'd think it'd be such a simple thing to give us clothes that actually fit - mind you, I'd think I was abnormal if I managed to fit in the uniform currently on offer.

you really made me laugh with your bit about the jacket not smelling too funny :funneh
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: womens trousers

Post by TeeferTiger »

estelle wrote:you'd think it'd be such a simple thing to give us clothes that actually fit - mind you, I'd think I was abnormal if I managed to fit in the uniform currently on offer.

you really made me laugh with your bit about the jacket not smelling too funny :funneh
MY jacket smells funny I have to admit. It's been sitting in the HCT for weeks with smelly bags that have been wet and then not dried properly. I had to spray it with body spray this morning just so I didn't gag while I was wearing it... :nervous
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
estelle
Posts: 194
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 10:31
Gender: Male

Re: womens trousers

Post by estelle »

mine still smells lovely, but that is because I've not worn this one ever,it's fresh out the pack after being replaced when someone stole my other extra small one (funnily enough, one size does seem to fit all)
smokerjim
Posts: 1921
Joined: 13 Jun 2007, 22:27
Gender: Male
Location: In a corner, thinking "I've picked a bad week to give up smoking..."

Re: womens trousers

Post by smokerjim »

Aprilaydee wrote:It was halfway down my calves (sp?!) and I had to fold the sleeves over a few times just so I could find my hands. I could actually crouch down in it and hide. Also, the hood was massive and because I'd pulled the cords together to tie the hood under my chin because of the wind, it stuck up at the top and I looked like the Tefal man :oops:
Please, please, please take a photo of yourself crouched down & hiding in that coat and post it ( disguise your face before you post, natch ) I imagine I'd laugh my arse off :left:
I don't suppose your mouth bleeds every 28 days, does it?

Mail delivery; those that can, do, those that can't, MANAGE!
mazza111
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 877
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 16:30
Gender: Female

Re: womens trousers

Post by mazza111 »

I am sooooooooo glad I'm not alone on the trousers thing. I ordered them in a size bigger than I am so i would be comfortable. Wouldn't go over my hips. Ordered the next size up. They could have kept my boobs warm, they were so big. Scared to wear them just in case a gust of wind catches me and I end up up a tree!!! Noticed the belt loops were tiny on them too! Now, I stick to jeans or shorts! Refuse to look like coco the clown!
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: womens trousers

Post by Judgee »

I have more of a problem with the shirts. All over they are miles too big except the cuffs... I can't even fit my watch under them :d'oh!

Maybe I just have really fat wrists? :oops:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: womens trousers

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Judgee wrote:I have more of a problem with the shirts. All over they are miles too big except the cuffs... I can't even fit my watch under them :d'oh!

Maybe I just have really fat wrists? :oops:
And what might cause that ?
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: womens trousers

Post by stokes11eg »

mazza111 wrote:I am sooooooooo glad I'm not alone on the trousers thing. I ordered them in a size bigger than I am so i would be comfortable. Wouldn't go over my hips. Ordered the next size up. They could have kept my boobs warm, they were so big. Scared to wear them just in case a gust of wind catches me and I end up up a tree!!! Noticed the belt loops were tiny on them too! Now, I stick to jeans or shorts! Refuse to look like coco the clown!
:Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy Sounds just like me, and just don't ask the man in your life if your bum looks big in these s------catchers! I blame metrication my self, before that came in you fittted well into a standard size ten or whatever, but even buying your own clothes means a mismatch of sizes just to feel properly fitted!
estelle
Posts: 194
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 10:31
Gender: Male

Re: womens trousers

Post by estelle »

I hadn't thought about the collars and cuffs on the blouses, but yes - they are really tight around the cuff. I'd say you don't have big wrists, I have problems and my wrists are really teeny tiny.

So from all of this, what are the recommendations of fellow postwomen, what mix do you go for to acheive an almost decent, not quite so big a fashion crime look whilst wearing the standard issue uniform?

Currently I sport guys trousers (with enough spare room for my non existant 'package'), extra small polo shirts that need peeled off at the end of the day, CAT trainers (though these are killing my knees and hips), and if I really have to wear a jacket, regardless of weather, it's a small fleece. The extra small waterproofs are neatly packed away in a cupboard somewhere.
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: womens trousers

Post by TeeferTiger »

mazza111 wrote:I am sooooooooo glad I'm not alone on the trousers thing. I ordered them in a size bigger than I am so i would be comfortable. Wouldn't go over my hips. Ordered the next size up. They could have kept my boobs warm, they were so big. Scared to wear them just in case a gust of wind catches me and I end up up a tree!!! Noticed the belt loops were tiny on them too! Now, I stick to jeans or shorts! Refuse to look like coco the clown!
High waistband or saggy boobs? ::::runs away:::: :chuckle

I wear my own shorts from ASDA. More pockets and they actually fit without looking like either hotpants or cullottes. And as for the cullottes... OMG... They are AWFUL!
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: womens trousers

Post by TeeferTiger »

stokes11eg wrote: :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy Sounds just like me, and just don't ask the man in your life if your bum looks big in these s------catchers! I blame metrication my self, before that came in you fittted well into a standard size ten or whatever, but even buying your own clothes means a mismatch of sizes just to feel properly fitted!
It's because a size N (where N is whatever size you are) has a few inches lee way (sp) before the next size. Rather than size N being a standard X inches. It's X-Y inches before it becomes size M.

And so on and so forth.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?