If you can drive a car then driving the vans won't be a problem, I did my assessment in a Convoy which was the worst vehicle I'd ever driven (and I'd driven Fiats) and still passed, just watch your distances and don't hit anyone (if you really want to show off you could mention BOB (boy on bike) and check your n/s mirror lotsSF wrote:How different is it driving a transit van to a car? It would be nice if I could get some practice in as I have never driven anything near that big, but that won't happen seeing as my assessment is tomorrow!
Much of an adjustment with regards to clutch control and gears, or simply just a case of being more aware of your spacing and using solely side mirrors?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Driving assessment thing?
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Driving assessment thing?
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Driving assessment thing?
I have to say the new ones with the gear shift on the dash are really nice to drive and quite smooth with an easy light clutch and plenty of torque if you change up a bit too early.SF wrote:How different is it driving a transit van to a car? It would be nice if I could get some practice in as I have never driven anything near that big, but that won't happen seeing as my assessment is tomorrow!
Much of an adjustment with regards to clutch control and gears, or simply just a case of being more aware of your spacing and using solely side mirrors?
Well obviously you have no rear view mirror so its getting used to the mirrors and remembering that this leaves you with a large blind spot on the left. Other than that its just the width as they are wider than a car but you soon judge that as they have a good high up driving position. This can lead you to thinking your going slower than you really are so watch the speedo.
The bit to watch is the length when you make a turn as you can easily clip a kerb with the rear wheels. Practice makes perfect and I went out with a mate before my assessment and did a bit of driving. Mind you I had already done some driving for RM before that so my DOM would not mind.
If your luck and get a littlen like a Blipper or Vaux combo they drive the same as a car with no rear window.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Driving assessment thing?
You were luckyDGP1 wrote:I did my assessment in a Convoy which was the worst vehicle I'd ever driven
I got an old Sherpa (all the newer vans were out on SA) that kept stalling with a clutch that kicked like a mule and about 4 inches of play in the steering.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Driving assessment thing?
I had to do mine a while back, everyone kept telling me its a piece of cake and not to sweat it... ended up with a right officious little ****** picking up on every little thing, he even showed me pictures he'd took on his phone of examples of bad parking etc, i was a nervous wreck by the time it finished.
-
music4essex
- Posts: 717
- Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 16:18
- Gender: Female
Re: Driving assessment thing?
If the position is a rural driving then it would probably be a small van used be knows a CF50? mainly because of the small country lanes
If a driving position is say town or drobbing off bags and packets/ collections then you move up to CF150 but again you have training
I did use to use a CF 400 also known as a high top but these may have been phased out or something else in its place.
I did eventually train to be a 600 cf and did drive them with the tail lift but these are normally used by mail centres
or DO getting mail from mail centre's.
Now I am back too just two wheels (Cycle)
I have been out of touch with driving dutied this pat 7 yrs though for those that may correct me
Good luck
Essex mum
If a driving position is say town or drobbing off bags and packets/ collections then you move up to CF150 but again you have training
I did use to use a CF 400 also known as a high top but these may have been phased out or something else in its place.
I did eventually train to be a 600 cf and did drive them with the tail lift but these are normally used by mail centres
or DO getting mail from mail centre's.
Now I am back too just two wheels (Cycle)
I have been out of touch with driving dutied this pat 7 yrs though for those that may correct me
Good luck
Essex mum
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Driving assessment thing?
I have driven a Sherpa and it was miles better than the Convoy but then they got rid of all our bigger vans and gave us Combos to replace everythingkrussel wrote:You were luckyDGP1 wrote:I did my assessment in a Convoy which was the worst vehicle I'd ever driven![]()
I got an old Sherpa (all the newer vans were out on SA) that kept stalling with a clutch that kicked like a mule and about 4 inches of play in the steering.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
noggin1969
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Driving assessment thing?
To be honest it depends o
Last edited by noggin1969 on 06 Feb 2024, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
-
Stormproof
- Posts: 6116
- Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Re: Driving assessment thing?
I prefer to drive a van now rather than a car. When I done my changeover the only vehicle available was a LWB Mercedes Sprinter hire van, what a dream to drive unlike all the crap we use now.
Don't worry about the assessment you'd have to be
not to pass.
Don't worry about the assessment you'd have to be
not to pass.So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
-
andy2007
- Posts: 3971
- Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: Earth
Re: Driving assessment thing?
Although I've never driven a van for RM. I have driven Sherpas, LDVs, and Transits. If you get a Transit for your test, you're laughing! As Krussel said: The only real difference is the higher driving position, and extra size. They actually drive exactly like a nice car. Light controls, car handling in the dry. Although the back end can be a bit skittish in the wet (at least on the rear wheel drive ones I drove anyway). But so long as you slow down a bit more for the corners than you would in a car, when it's raining, you'll have no problems.
LDVs aren't as nice to drive, but they're not bad. But Sherpas IMO are crap! Awful gearbox, heavy clutch, and I suppose adequate, would be the kindest thing to say about the brakes, when they're loaded. But they certainly aren't good!
LDVs aren't as nice to drive, but they're not bad. But Sherpas IMO are crap! Awful gearbox, heavy clutch, and I suppose adequate, would be the kindest thing to say about the brakes, when they're loaded. But they certainly aren't good!
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
it's just another outlook on Reality!
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32819
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Driving assessment thing?
You 'should' have the test in a High Top,that would be the largest van you could drive.
Even if you have none at your place if a van goes in for whatever then at times they will swap it for one.
Not sure but if you have not had a changeover in one,you can't drive one.
Even if you have none at your place if a van goes in for whatever then at times they will swap it for one.
Not sure but if you have not had a changeover in one,you can't drive one.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Driving assessment thing?
That would be a bit cruelPOSTMAN wrote:the test in a High Top
andy2007 wrote:But Sherpas IMO are crap! Awful gearbox, heavy clutch,
Sherpa’s were total heaps of crap with tramping spinning axels and rear wheels which would lock up on even a slightly wet road the moment you touched the brakes. Then there was the clutch which felt as stiff as the brake pedal.
Anyway back on thread:
I hope the test went ok and you passed
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
andy2007
- Posts: 3971
- Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: Earth
Re: Driving assessment thing?
You're not kidding about the brakes! I think it was down to the brake bias. Because the rear wheels would lock, and you'd get b***er all performance from the front brakes. Or did I just have to drive a couple of duds? 
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
it's just another outlook on Reality!
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Driving assessment thing?
No they were all the same. In fact the later square headlight versions seemed worse. They could be quite dangerous when braking down hill and I slid to a stop at many a junction which was not so good if a car was waiting. Even changing down into 2nd to go around a corner could lock the rear wheels in the dry
. They were better when loaded and I remember a couple of older (wiser) drivers having a few bags of sand in the back over the wheels.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
SF
- Posts: 183
- Joined: 12 Nov 2009, 23:30
- Gender: Male
- Location: Midlands.
Re: Driving assessment thing?
I did it in one of these.

I passed, but I really wasn't comfortable in driving it. I doubt they will ask me to drive one really, but if they do, I shall be saying no. I'm not confident or experienced enough to drive one on an actual delivery.
I'll obviously drive the little combo's, but that all I'm prepared to do.
I'm a little surprised they let me drive one without practice to be honest.

I passed, but I really wasn't comfortable in driving it. I doubt they will ask me to drive one really, but if they do, I shall be saying no. I'm not confident or experienced enough to drive one on an actual delivery.
I'll obviously drive the little combo's, but that all I'm prepared to do.
I'm a little surprised they let me drive one without practice to be honest.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Driving assessment thing?
Blimey thats a High TopSF wrote:I did it in one of these.
I passed, but I really wasn't comfortable in driving it. I doubt they will ask me to drive one really, but if they do, I shall be saying no. I'm not confident or experienced enough to drive one on an actual delivery.
I'll obviously drive the little combo's, but that all I'm prepared to do.
I'm a little surprised they let me drive one without practice to be honest.
You done very well to go out and pass in one of those if you have never driven one before.
Your right about the delivery when i took one around mine i kept clipping trees
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........