ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Driving assessment thing?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Driving assessment thing?

Post by DGP1 »

SF wrote:How different is it driving a transit van to a car? It would be nice if I could get some practice in as I have never driven anything near that big, but that won't happen seeing as my assessment is tomorrow!

Much of an adjustment with regards to clutch control and gears, or simply just a case of being more aware of your spacing and using solely side mirrors?
If you can drive a car then driving the vans won't be a problem, I did my assessment in a Convoy which was the worst vehicle I'd ever driven (and I'd driven Fiats) and still passed, just watch your distances and don't hit anyone (if you really want to show off you could mention BOB (boy on bike) and check your n/s mirror lots :chuckle ).
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Driving assessment thing?

Post by krussel »

SF wrote:How different is it driving a transit van to a car? It would be nice if I could get some practice in as I have never driven anything near that big, but that won't happen seeing as my assessment is tomorrow!

Much of an adjustment with regards to clutch control and gears, or simply just a case of being more aware of your spacing and using solely side mirrors?
I have to say the new ones with the gear shift on the dash are really nice to drive and quite smooth with an easy light clutch and plenty of torque if you change up a bit too early.

Well obviously you have no rear view mirror so its getting used to the mirrors and remembering that this leaves you with a large blind spot on the left. Other than that its just the width as they are wider than a car but you soon judge that as they have a good high up driving position. This can lead you to thinking your going slower than you really are so watch the speedo.

The bit to watch is the length when you make a turn as you can easily clip a kerb with the rear wheels. Practice makes perfect and I went out with a mate before my assessment and did a bit of driving. Mind you I had already done some driving for RM before that so my DOM would not mind. :Very Happy

If your luck and get a littlen like a Blipper or Vaux combo they drive the same as a car with no rear window. :Very Happy
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Driving assessment thing?

Post by krussel »

DGP1 wrote:I did my assessment in a Convoy which was the worst vehicle I'd ever driven
You were lucky :Very Happy

I got an old Sherpa (all the newer vans were out on SA) that kept stalling with a clutch that kicked like a mule and about 4 inches of play in the steering. :left:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Driving assessment thing?

Post by wacko74 »

I had to do mine a while back, everyone kept telling me its a piece of cake and not to sweat it... ended up with a right officious little ****** picking up on every little thing, he even showed me pictures he'd took on his phone of examples of bad parking etc, i was a nervous wreck by the time it finished.
music4essex
Posts: 717
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 16:18
Gender: Female

Re: Driving assessment thing?

Post by music4essex »

If the position is a rural driving then it would probably be a small van used be knows a CF50? mainly because of the small country lanes

If a driving position is say town or drobbing off bags and packets/ collections then you move up to CF150 but again you have training

I did use to use a CF 400 also known as a high top but these may have been phased out or something else in its place.

I did eventually train to be a 600 cf and did drive them with the tail lift but these are normally used by mail centres
or DO getting mail from mail centre's.

Now I am back too just two wheels (Cycle) :dance

I have been out of touch with driving dutied this pat 7 yrs though for those that may correct me :oops:

Good luck
Essex mum
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Driving assessment thing?

Post by DGP1 »

krussel wrote:
DGP1 wrote:I did my assessment in a Convoy which was the worst vehicle I'd ever driven
You were lucky :Very Happy

I got an old Sherpa (all the newer vans were out on SA) that kept stalling with a clutch that kicked like a mule and about 4 inches of play in the steering. :left:
I have driven a Sherpa and it was miles better than the Convoy but then they got rid of all our bigger vans and gave us Combos to replace everything :shock:
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
noggin1969
Posts: 1321
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
Gender: Male

Re: Driving assessment thing?

Post by noggin1969 »

To be honest it depends o
Last edited by noggin1969 on 06 Feb 2024, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Driving assessment thing?

Post by Stormproof »

I prefer to drive a van now rather than a car. When I done my changeover the only vehicle available was a LWB Mercedes Sprinter hire van, what a dream to drive unlike all the crap we use now.
Don't worry about the assessment you'd have to be Image not to pass.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Driving assessment thing?

Post by andy2007 »

Although I've never driven a van for RM. I have driven Sherpas, LDVs, and Transits. If you get a Transit for your test, you're laughing! As Krussel said: The only real difference is the higher driving position, and extra size. They actually drive exactly like a nice car. Light controls, car handling in the dry. Although the back end can be a bit skittish in the wet (at least on the rear wheel drive ones I drove anyway). But so long as you slow down a bit more for the corners than you would in a car, when it's raining, you'll have no problems.

LDVs aren't as nice to drive, but they're not bad. But Sherpas IMO are crap! Awful gearbox, heavy clutch, and I suppose adequate, would be the kindest thing to say about the brakes, when they're loaded. But they certainly aren't good!
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Driving assessment thing?

Post by POSTMAN »

You 'should' have the test in a High Top,that would be the largest van you could drive.
Even if you have none at your place if a van goes in for whatever then at times they will swap it for one.

Not sure but if you have not had a changeover in one,you can't drive one.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Driving assessment thing?

Post by krussel »

POSTMAN wrote:the test in a High Top
That would be a bit cruel :sad: I avoided High Tops for years and then got given a reserve when my LDV was bring repaired (again) and surprisingly it wasn’t too bad and drove better than the LDV, mind you that’s not saying much really.


andy2007 wrote:But Sherpas IMO are crap! Awful gearbox, heavy clutch,

Sherpa’s were total heaps of crap with tramping spinning axels and rear wheels which would lock up on even a slightly wet road the moment you touched the brakes. Then there was the clutch which felt as stiff as the brake pedal. :shock: The one I had for a year gave me a bad back so to change gear from 1st to 2nd I found you could stab the throttle and the play in the engine mounts would cause the gearlever to slam across the gate. An early form of sequential clutch less gearbox which got you off the lights pretty quick. :left:


Anyway back on thread:

I hope the test went ok and you passed :wink:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Driving assessment thing?

Post by andy2007 »

You're not kidding about the brakes! I think it was down to the brake bias. Because the rear wheels would lock, and you'd get b***er all performance from the front brakes. Or did I just have to drive a couple of duds? :hmmmm
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Driving assessment thing?

Post by krussel »

No they were all the same. In fact the later square headlight versions seemed worse. They could be quite dangerous when braking down hill and I slid to a stop at many a junction which was not so good if a car was waiting. Even changing down into 2nd to go around a corner could lock the rear wheels in the dry :shock: :shock: . They were better when loaded and I remember a couple of older (wiser) drivers having a few bags of sand in the back over the wheels.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
SF
Posts: 183
Joined: 12 Nov 2009, 23:30
Gender: Male
Location: Midlands.

Re: Driving assessment thing?

Post by SF »

I did it in one of these.

Image

I passed, but I really wasn't comfortable in driving it. I doubt they will ask me to drive one really, but if they do, I shall be saying no. I'm not confident or experienced enough to drive one on an actual delivery.

I'll obviously drive the little combo's, but that all I'm prepared to do.

I'm a little surprised they let me drive one without practice to be honest.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Driving assessment thing?

Post by krussel »

SF wrote:I did it in one of these.

Image

I passed, but I really wasn't comfortable in driving it. I doubt they will ask me to drive one really, but if they do, I shall be saying no. I'm not confident or experienced enough to drive one on an actual delivery.

I'll obviously drive the little combo's, but that all I'm prepared to do.

I'm a little surprised they let me drive one without practice to be honest.
Blimey thats a High Top :shock: :shock:

You done very well to go out and pass in one of those if you have never driven one before. :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause

Your right about the delivery when i took one around mine i kept clipping trees :left:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........