ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Saturday guaranteed specials

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
PhilthyPhil
Posts: 1155
Joined: 23 Nov 2007, 19:15

Re: Saturday guaranteed specials

Post by PhilthyPhil »

All reg goes out on a sat in our place unless there is a retention in place. SG reg goes out regardless, in my experience there is quite often someone waiting specially to receive it even if the firm is not normally open on saturday.
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: Saturday guaranteed specials

Post by not me »

SG regis should go out regardless
eg if you have a firms thats usually shut,it should still be attempted
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Saturday guaranteed specials

Post by Lounge Lizard »

custard wrote:SG regis should go out regardless
eg if you have a firms thats usually shut,it should still be attempted
That's right, A firm normally shut on a Saturfay might have special reasons to be open including receiving a SG.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Saturday guaranteed specials

Post by NewPostieUK »

custard wrote:SG regis should go out regardless
If it's next working day, hasn't the customer the right to expect the delivery next working day IE Monday?

I often try to time my purchases to they are delivered on my day off. If my day off is monday I wouldn't be impressed if it was attempted when I was at work on the sat, and I had to go and pick it up.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Saturday guaranteed specials

Post by fishtank »

NewPostieUK wrote:
custard wrote:SG regis should go out regardless
If it's next working day, hasn't the customer the right to expect the delivery next working day IE Monday?

I often try to time my purchases to they are delivered on my day off. If my day off is monday I wouldn't be impressed if it was attempted when I was at work on the sat, and I had to go and pick it up.

Very confusing.
Customers assume our next working day not theirs.
Businesses with official Sat Shuts apart,all reg SHOULD be cleared in my opinion.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
PhilthyPhil
Posts: 1155
Joined: 23 Nov 2007, 19:15

Re: Saturday guaranteed specials

Post by PhilthyPhil »

NewPostieUK wrote:
custard wrote:SG regis should go out regardless
If it's next working day, hasn't the customer the right to expect the delivery next working day IE Monday?

I often try to time my purchases to they are delivered on my day off. If my day off is monday I wouldn't be impressed if it was attempted when I was at work on the sat, and I had to go and pick it up.
If the sender has paid for SG then it must be attempted. Why whould they pay for it if they want it to go out on monday? If there is a sat retention we take them out anyway. If no one is there are not 739ed and go back out on monday. Most of the time I find there is someone there expecting it.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Saturday guaranteed specials

Post by NewPostieUK »

fishtank wrote: Very confusing.
Customers assume our next working day not theirs.
Surely everybody knows 'working day' is mon- fri?

PhilthyPhil wrote: If the sender has paid for SG then it must be attempted. Why whould they pay for it if they want it to go out on monday?
If I as a customer paid for a Special Delivery 'Next Working Day' on a friday, I would expect to be able to tell the person I was sending to to expect it on the mon (the next working day). If i deliberately chose not to send it 'saturday special' and delivery was attempted on the saturday, when there would be nobody in, I'd be a bit miffed.

I don't know what an 'SG' is. If it's a saturday special then of course it should go out on the saturday, as thats what the customer has paid for.

My point is, you can choose the day to have something delivered. If I want something delivered on a tues, I'll send it on the monday. If I want it delivered on the wed, I'll send it on the tues If I want something delivered on he monday, I'll post it on the friday and not pay for the saturday special.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Saturday guaranteed specials

Post by fishtank »

NewPostieUK wrote:
fishtank wrote: Very confusing.
Customers assume our next working day not theirs.
Surely everybody knows 'working day' is mon- fri?
Not everybody. :hmmmm
The introduction of flex time introduces the internet as a more easily globalized and outsourced workforce. The notion of a business day has come under a certain degree of challenge. Information-based companies with a limited dependence on physical goods have less of a need to distinguish a weekend day from a weekday and indeed to many, there is no difference at all. These companies, quite validly, construe a business day to be any day on which they provide service.
As should we.......in my very humble opinion.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: Saturday guaranteed specials

Post by not me »

heres a good one
sent an SD letter to an RM delivery office yesterday
Your item with reference ZW**********GB has been held for delivery on Monday. This is either at the request of the receiving customer or because the address is an exclusion for Saturday deliveries.
now,Im not sure but I would expect an RM DO not to be a Saturday shut :roll:
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Saturday guaranteed specials

Post by NewPostieUK »

custard wrote:heres a good one
sent an SD letter to an RM delivery office yesterday
Your item with reference ZW**********GB has been held for delivery on Monday. This is either at the request of the receiving customer or because the address is an exclusion for Saturday deliveries.
now,Im not sure but I would expect an RM DO not to be a Saturday shut :roll:
Did you pay extra for a saturday delivery?
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Saturday guaranteed specials

Post by Lounge Lizard »

If Royal Mail charge customers extra for delivering on a Saturday then we should be paid extra for delivering on a Saturday :Very Happy I'm sure Dave and Billy can sort that out for us. :crazy:
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Saturday guaranteed specials

Post by NewPostieUK »

They charge extra for recordeds, specials, large letters, packets etc etc, do we get paid extra for those? Do we ****
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: Saturday guaranteed specials

Post by not me »

NewPostieUK wrote:
custard wrote:heres a good one
sent an SD letter to an RM delivery office yesterday
Your item with reference ZW**********GB has been held for delivery on Monday. This is either at the request of the receiving customer or because the address is an exclusion for Saturday deliveries.
now,Im not sure but I would expect an RM DO not to be a Saturday shut :roll:
Did you pay extra for a saturday delivery?

nope but it shouldnt matter
the locker in that DO is next door to the managers office
are you telling me they should take the time to scan the item as Saturday retention than walk next door and deliver it? :shock: :crazy:
plainpat
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 410
Joined: 18 Jan 2010, 19:29
Gender: Male
Location: You can't get any further east in the UK without going for a swim in the North Sea

Re: Saturday guaranteed specials

Post by plainpat »

custard wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:
custard wrote:heres a good one
sent an SD letter to an RM delivery office yesterday
Your item with reference ZW**********GB has been held for delivery on Monday. This is either at the request of the receiving customer or because the address is an exclusion for Saturday deliveries.
now,Im not sure but I would expect an RM DO not to be a Saturday shut :roll:
Did you pay extra for a saturday delivery?

nope but it shouldnt matter
the locker in that DO is next door to the managers office
are you telling me they should take the time to scan the item as Saturday retention than walk next door and deliver it? :shock: :crazy:
Probably just a case of no DOM in, and Linos/PHGs not willing to take resposibilty for signing for it :speak to the hand