ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postal workers and spelling.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mailsort6
Posts: 356
Joined: 11 Aug 2007, 13:22

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by mailsort6 »

POSTMAN wrote:I get weather and wheather mixed up. :d'oh!
:cuppa :no no Whether
pinstripe
Posts: 2474
Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
Gender: Male
Location: 2 left turns from reality

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by pinstripe »

realitybites wrote:So how many members are also members of MENSA on here
I used to work in a hotel, many years ago. One weekend there was an event held for Mensa. The hotel was full of posh types and wanna-be posh types, brains oozing from every pore, but not one ounce of common sense among them. Yes they could answer an incredibly complicated question on advanced mathematics, but they couldn't open a jar of jam. Oh, and they didn't have a sense of humour either. Or dress sense.
No, they didn't invite me to join.
REDLETTER
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 748
Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
Gender: Male
Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by REDLETTER »

So the next time deliver a letter with address spelt wrong, I'm gonna bang on the delivery address door, wait till it opens, punch the person in the face and tell them off for having a thicko friend, and also for the aggro of making me having to think! :crazy:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=aggro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thicko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:whistle

Note: my spell check shows "spelt" as a query and I have added slang to dumb myself down!!!!! :nana
Postman Plodd
Posts: 596
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 15:53
Gender: Male

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by Postman Plodd »

Spelt
Image
dados
Posts: 399
Joined: 04 Sep 2009, 16:33
Gender: Male
Location: leading the 5th column

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by dados »

slightly off topic is the way some calling cards are filled in,its a 'mare trying to decypher them at the callers office
Art as expression
Not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by TeeferTiger »

pinstripe wrote:
realitybites wrote:So how many members are also members of MENSA on here
I used to work in a hotel, many years ago. One weekend there was an event held for Mensa. The hotel was full of posh types and wanna-be posh types, brains oozing from every pore, but not one ounce of common sense among them. Yes they could answer an incredibly complicated question on advanced mathematics, but they couldn't open a jar of jam. Oh, and they didn't have a sense of humour either. Or dress sense.
No, they didn't invite me to join.
My sister (who has had papers published and has a Masters Degree) used to think that the shower curtain was only for using when there was someone else in the bathroom with you...
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by POSTMAN »

I'm getting under the weather with this,i didn't figure out whether i got it wrong until 2 of you pulled me up about it. :d'oh! :oops:
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Caniel
Posts: 623
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
Gender: Female
Location: The Batcave

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by Caniel »

I have to admit my spelling seems to have deteriorated over the years, I have a dictionary extension installed in my Firefox browser that underlines words in red that I have spelt incorrectly. More often the red underline appears when I'm typing these days, even more annoying is my repeated attempts to spell some words correctly resulting in failure :mad . I then have to search for the correct spelling of the word on google :arrrghhh
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by clashcityrocker »

Caniel wrote: I have a dictionary extension installed in my Firefox browser
Am I the only person left alive who has a BOOK on the shelf with a list of words in it?
Collins English Dictionary - worth every penny.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Caniel wrote: I have a dictionary extension installed in my Firefox browser
Am I the only person left alive who has a BOOK on the shelf with a list of words in it?
Collins English Dictionary - worth every penny.
Cheap shot I got the that and The Penguin Complete English Reference Collection :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Caniel
Posts: 623
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
Gender: Female
Location: The Batcave

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by Caniel »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Caniel wrote: I have a dictionary extension installed in my Firefox browser
Am I the only person left alive who has a BOOK on the shelf with a list of words in it?
Collins English Dictionary - worth every penny.
I used to have a hardback Oxford dictionary propping up the sofa but it became redundant when I bought a new sofa :Very Happy . Besides it doesn't pop up in Firefox as a type and say "hey stupid you've spelt that word wrong!" :sad:
REDLETTER
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 748
Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
Gender: Male
Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by REDLETTER »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Caniel wrote: I have a dictionary extension installed in my Firefox browser
Am I the only person left alive who has a BOOK on the shelf with a list of words in it?
Collins English Dictionary - worth every penny.
I do but it's 25 years old! So I have to resort to using one more current!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(It is American though! :sad: )

latest entry:
office hands

some one who has soft hands for doing office work & little or no hard labour
he has office hands from his job. he has soft office hands.
Sounds like my DOM :Very Happy
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1621
Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by Straight4ward »

No idea what my DOM's hands are like.

I've never seen him take them out of his pockets.
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
REDLETTER
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 748
Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
Gender: Male
Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by REDLETTER »

Straight4ward wrote:No idea what my DOM's hands are like.

I've never seen him take them out of his pockets.
:left: :left: :left: :left: :left:
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Postal workers and spelling.

Post by dvbuk55 »

hampshireman wrote:
jaylime wrote:When I worked in a big delivery office there used to be regular graffiti on the bog wall.This grafitti whilst being rather funny was also riddled with spelling mistakes.Now when I read peoples posts on here the spelling is atrocious.Is it just me or are postmen useless at spelling,I know work in a small spdo and were all ace at spelling. :whistle
Sure this must be a wind up (or read that as windup); because surely one would check and recheck ones post for mistakes.

The age of textspeak (that's not a real word is it?) has bastardised the language.

That's what you get though.

It's probably important to remember that much that is posted on Forums (that must be a roman thing); is done quickly to get the point over. Sometimes done with anger.

I'll forgive just about anything ...... Except....... could pople space stuff out a bit. It just makes it easier to read.

Please note that sometimes when I post I might have had a glass of wine and my typing skills could have gone down a bit.
Well you're not the only one hampy - there is one poster on here who seems to be permanently on the sauce :chuckle :chuckle