ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

ALL BALLOT COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
Midge
Posts: 95
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 19:38

Re: ALL BALLOT COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE

Post by Midge »

Sandra D wrote:
Ethilfrog wrote:OK, we've had enough euphoria. Let's examine the reality. Rough figures to make the point plain:

60K in favour.
20K against.
40K didn't vote.

Add in all the people who aren't members of the union (please don't think their views don't matter, because when it comes to taking part in IA they definitely do) and we have a MINORITY who are definitely 'yes'. The rest are lukewarm at best.

An ambiguous result. What a disaster.

Deep down, and judging by their attitudes today, Hayes and Ward know this.
I agree with Ethilfrog that it is more 50/50 on yes / no (though bear in mind that not all who didn't vote would have said no, but it is fair to think that probably most would have meaning at least a 40-45% 'no' I'd say).
However, I am baffled why this is good. Perhaps things are talked about differently in the vast majority of units, but my understanding is this is awful news. Clearly I'm in the minority based on the vote alone, but I don't understand why. Not looked to make an argument, but I know a good few people in various other companies who have been made redundant and another person with a pay freeze and even one with a pay cut forced.
We haven't faced any of this (unless I'm wrong and some have), so I view us as exceptionally fortunate compared to a considerable number of others out there. ALL companies are/have been struggling after all.
I just don't see how really pissing of the country will do anything to aid us and don't even see the need to do so when so many other friends/people are in FAR worse situations with their jobs. Quite frankly it makes me ashamed and embarrassed to talk to people facing real serious issues with their work life and employers.
I'm sure to elect some hatred for this post, but I don't mean any negativity to those here or who voted yes, I just genuinely don't see how it is a good thing. Just an understanding issue, not a hatred one!
Just four posts since joining two years ago in 2007...?

Were they all so negative?

Do I spy a ringer?

:hmmmm
When it comes down to it, full-time release reps like me don't have to do the job, the ordinary rank and file do.
Full-time reps sometimes need reminding who they represent. There's no time like the present...


Follow me on Twitter @DeepRedMidge
chunk
Posts: 957
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 20:21
Gender: Male

Re: ALL BALLOT COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE

Post by chunk »

The worry about part timers (from my full timer perspective) is that they will generally be easier for th management to victimize.
in part due to their youth/ inexperience and often their trialist status.
RM want to adopt the Dutch delivery model which basically means 80% part timers.
Last edited by chunk on 08 Oct 2009, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a postman-and i know where you live.....
Midge
Posts: 95
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 19:38

Re: ALL BALLOT COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE

Post by Midge »

Ethilfrog wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote: Your maths is wrong - lets base it on 100 workers 76% of 67 workers (the turn out)= 50.92% thats a majority of those eligible to vote. You cannot count those who are ineligible because they are not members and if you did it would be only fair to give them a similar division of the votes.

No matter how hard you spin it it is still one of the strongest votes for action that this Union has ever had.
Sorry, as stated above non-union members do eventually get to vote, in a very real sense. That's when they decide whether to support the strike ... or not. Your assumption that their preferences reflect those of union members is wishful thinking I fear. Even if they do, their attitudes may change if the situation escalates

And 50.92% of those eligible to vote is marginal to say the least.

As I say, an ambiguous result. A disaster.
Cobblers.

Whether you mind me saying or not.

We have 85% CWU membership in my office. That was a rise due to recruitment in 2007. We have recruited more in the last few weeks.

In 2007 no-one crossed our picket lines. Not once. Whether CWU members or not.

All the major urban centres / cites have a similar CWU membership density, and very few strike breakers.

That is where our power is. That is what will matter, not numpty dumpty non-members out in the sticks.
When it comes down to it, full-time release reps like me don't have to do the job, the ordinary rank and file do.
Full-time reps sometimes need reminding who they represent. There's no time like the present...


Follow me on Twitter @DeepRedMidge
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Re: THE RESULT - WHEN IT COMES

Post by BELIAL »

keo wrote:Let's watch the Royal Mail management now scurry to ask for the 3 month no strike deal offered by the Union exec. previously.
As the Operations manager said on radio today, We have finished implimenting our modernisation plans for this year and want to concentrate on the Christmas post period!! So basically the Union can call of their threats of strike action!! :left:
Then they can start the shafting of the staff again in January :hmmmm

Yep heard that one too. Sounded like a drowning man in a cesspit ,talk about clutching at straws .' Nasty union fighting back when we were going to stop kicking them for two months', absolutely pathetic. What's worse is that even at this time as far as my office is concerned that statement is a blatant lie ,we are due to get savage cuts shortly
Bye
End of the road
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 117
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 01:58
Gender: Male

Re: ALL BALLOT COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE

Post by End of the road »

They will try and rubbish the vote ........................ a massive yes vote greater then I was expecting

We have the mandate and now we must use it wisely and sparingly, the whole business is on a knife edge and we have to put that across to everyone. None of us want to be on strike, we have no bloody choice and we have to stand and fight. Its not about money or who is the biggest boy in the playground, its about an entire industry that is being slowly strangled. The managers are acting like 18th century mine owners and using the big whip at every opportunity, they delivered the massive yes vote more then the union did.

For better or worse we now stand together and win or lose there are going to be casaulties, heartache and big job losses, but we have taken enough its time to say no more. They either reach and agreement that suits ALL OF US, not just bits ALL OF US this time or the whole industry will slowly drift into oblivion and the tories will give away of the remains.


Mendelson get off your fanny and get summat done, heck it might even put you in a good light .....................
I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: ALL BALLOT COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE

Post by POSTMAN »

People can debate figures all day long,every ballot that i have been involved in has always had a low/low-ish turn out,it's what happens afterwards that is important.
And you can bet your bottom dollar that 40,000 or 50 whatever percent that didn't vote on paper will vote with their feet and those kind of numbers will NOT be working come strike days.

There was a low-ish turn out in the London ballot,but those that didn't or couldn't vote still did not cross the picket line in mass numbers!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Jasmine
Posts: 36
Joined: 21 Jan 2009, 13:40
Gender: Female

Re: ALL BALLOT COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE

Post by Jasmine »

I have never been on strike before in any job and have some questions. The strike ballot and action has never been discussed in my office, not by colleagues, cwu or managers so I have no idea what general feeling is there. Everyone just seems to carry on as normal. There are a few printed sheets floating about with little info on. Most I find out on here or on the news. Even today, the strike was never mentioned.

So what actually does happen? I am part time so do I just turn up at my start time, or what? Do I have to find alternative ways of getting to work as won't be able to get to car park and there are yellow lines all around local roads? When we return to work do we have to deliver everything the next day and are we paid overtime for going over or have to do it for free? If anyone does break the picket line, what do they actually do, as presumably delivery isn't going to happen, as no sorting will be done?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I know they are minor issues but still ones that I would like to know what happens and I am sure there are others who have never faced strikes before and don't know.
Thanks.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: ALL BALLOT COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Jasmine wrote:I have never been on strike before in any job and have some questions. The strike ballot and action has never been discussed in my office, not by colleagues, cwu or managers so I have no idea what general feeling is there. Everyone just seems to carry on as normal. There are a few printed sheets floating about with little info on. Most I find out on here or on the news. Even today, the strike was never mentioned.

So what actually does happen? I am part time so do I just turn up at my start time, or what?
If you want to attend the picket line you can do so. At my DO the majority turned up as and when they wanted, and any solidarity shown by turning up is appreciated. However the 1st strike its always best to get as many down there as early as possible to show the strength of feeling. Also a few die hards (me) will go in about an hour early so we can spot anyone crossing the picket line.
Jasmine wrote: Do I have to find alternative ways of getting to work as won't be able to get to car park and there are yellow lines all around local roads?
Yes you would but if you ask around someone will probably share the driving with you.
Jasmine wrote:When we return to work do we have to deliver everything the next day and are we paid overtime for going over or have to do it for free?
No they can only make you work your hours. If you want to go over check with the DOM first to see if they are paying OT. If not cut off. BTW its frowned upon by some if you work overtime if the IA is of the rolling variety. Don't do it for free unless you have exceptional customers. Just kidding but honest don't work for free.
Jasmine wrote: If anyone does break the picket line, what do they actually do, as presumably delivery isn't going to happen, as no sorting will be done?
Normally they will do some IPS and prep their own round, or go out and deliver specials if working in their own DO. However, most will ask to work at another office on the strike days. They will if the work in their own office get free Breakfasts and bottomless coffee, but I'd rather starve.
Jasmine wrote:Sorry for the stupid questions, I know they are minor issues but still ones that I would like to know what happens and I am sure there are others who have never faced strikes before and don't know.
Thanks.
No such thing as a stupid question, especially if you have not experienced it before. the last lot of strikes was my first experience of IA.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
End of the road
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 117
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 01:58
Gender: Male

Re: ALL BALLOT COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE

Post by End of the road »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Jasmine wrote:I have never been on strike before in any job and have some questions. The strike ballot and action has never been discussed in my office, not by colleagues, cwu or managers so I have no idea what general feeling is there. Everyone just seems to carry on as normal. There are a few printed sheets floating about with little info on. Most I find out on here or on the news. Even today, the strike was never mentioned.

So what actually does happen? I am part time so do I just turn up at my start time, or what?
If you want to attend the picket line you can do so. At my DO the majority turned up as and when they wanted, and any solidarity shown by turning up is appreciated. However the 1st strike its always best to get as many down there as early as possible to show the strength of feeling. Also a few die hards (me) will go in about an hour early so we can spot anyone crossing the picket line.
Jasmine wrote: Do I have to find alternative ways of getting to work as won't be able to get to car park and there are yellow lines all around local roads?
Yes you would but if you ask around someone will probably share the driving with you.
Jasmine wrote:When we return to work do we have to deliver everything the next day and are we paid overtime for going over or have to do it for free?
No they can only make you work your hours. If you want to go over check with the DOM first to see if they are paying OT. If not cut off. BTW its frowned upon by some if you work overtime if the IA is of the rolling variety. Don't do it for free unless you have exceptional customers. Just kidding but honest don't work for free.
Jasmine wrote: If anyone does break the picket line, what do they actually do, as presumably delivery isn't going to happen, as no sorting will be done?
Normally they will do some IPS and prep their own round, or go out and deliver specials if working in their own DO. However, most will ask to work at another office on the strike days. They will if the work in their own office get free Breakfasts and bottomless coffee, but I'd rather starve.
Jasmine wrote:Sorry for the stupid questions, I know they are minor issues but still ones that I would like to know what happens and I am sure there are others who have never faced strikes before and don't know.
Thanks.
No such thing as a stupid question, especially if you have not experienced it before. the last lot of strikes was my first experience of IA.

What a good response to very genuine concerns :Applause

Being on picket duty can be fun as well and you will see people in a new light, I have found it brings out the best in people.
I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.
mucker
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 605
Joined: 25 Oct 2007, 14:12
Gender: Female
Location: cloud cookoo land

Re: ALL BALLOT COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE

Post by mucker »

End of the road wrote:They will try and rubbish the vote ........................ a massive yes vote greater then I was expecting

We have the mandate and now we must use it wisely and sparingly, the whole business is on a knife edge and we have to put that across to everyone. None of us want to be on strike, we have no bloody choice and we have to stand and fight. Its not about money or who is the biggest boy in the playground, its about an entire industry that is being slowly strangled. The managers are acting like 18th century mine owners and using the big whip at every opportunity, they delivered the massive yes vote more then the union did.

For better or worse we now stand together and win or lose there are going to be casaulties, heartache and big job losses, but we have taken enough its time to say no more. They either reach and agreement that suits ALL OF US, not just bits ALL OF US this time or the whole industry will slowly drift into oblivion and the tories will give away of the remains.


Mendelson get off your fanny and get summat done, heck it might even put you in a good light .....................
very well put,i couldnt agree with you more :Applause :Applause :mfo :cfo
"I have opinions of my own –strong opinions– but I don’t always agree with them"

Always Tell The Truth. If You Can't Always Tell The Truth,Don't Lie

"2010 And Beyond" The Year Of The Pay Cut...£3.01 Sub's For The Worst Deal In CWU History...
Family Business
Posts: 1
Joined: 12 Oct 2009, 03:21
Gender: Female

Re: ALL BALLOT COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE

Post by Family Business »

Why do you guys work for the RM if you hate the job so much? If someone is bullying you, seek legal advice & sue the pants off them!

I am trying to keep my family's heads above water by running our retail business online. We rely on you guys to 'deliver' and to keep up the excellent work that you normally do but these last few months have been dire for us with having to refund countless customers because their orders haven't turned up in time. We have to refund, it's the law as far as the DSR's go (distance selling regulations).

We don't get sick pay, holiday pay, benefits etc. Yes we get crappy customers & nice customers as do you I'm sure! We have rules that we have to abide by to sell online & you postmen are making our lives a living hell at the moment. I can't go out to work as I have young children to look after, so I run a business from home & I work 70 hours+ a week for less than £250 a week.

That figure is dropping because of all these strikes and now you're going to do yet another national strike!! Surely if you don't agree with your terms & conditions of emplyment then you'd hand in your notice & get another job no?

For the sake of all of us small business that rely on you, please don't strike!! Just bomb the RM's MD's house, all work to the T&C's that you were employed under (they can't force you to do anything else unless you sign up to it!)

There has to be another way, please, please, please!!!!
borders
Posts: 1304
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 09:10

Re: ALL BALLOT COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE

Post by borders »

first of all , why attack the posties ? i think you will find most posties enjoyed their jobs until recently. have you read many of the posts and threads on this site ? take some time to read these posts , maybe then you can appreciate why we feel the need to take this action . we honestly believe the Government and Management are ruining a once very good public service. their aim is not to create a better service for us all and i am a customer too , but to set it up for privatisation . many of the management changes are being brought in with no consultation with the workforce and like yourself many posties have other committments such as childcare etc , can you say the service is getting better and if not is this the fault of the posties ? decisions such as later deliveries are not made by the posties. part of my terms and conditions when i joined up was a reasonable pension when i retired , that pension has now changed for the worse and when you take into account the company took a payments holiday for 13 years , wouldnt you be angry ? why attack another body of working class people whose average wage is only around 270 quid , we are also scared about our jobs , who can live on part time hours these days ?, this is our future ?
Last edited by borders on 12 Oct 2009, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
"why should it just be the bankers, politicians and the idle rich who get all the best things ? we demand a standard of living for our members that enables them to share in the fine wines and times that the likes of Cameron and his Eton buddies take for granted " - the late great Bob Crow RIP.
borders
Posts: 1304
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 09:10

Re: ALL BALLOT COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE

Post by borders »

family business, take some time to read this , i think it explains our position accurately...http://thecommune.wordpress.com/2009/10 ... lly-about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"why should it just be the bankers, politicians and the idle rich who get all the best things ? we demand a standard of living for our members that enables them to share in the fine wines and times that the likes of Cameron and his Eton buddies take for granted " - the late great Bob Crow RIP.