ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

taking ALL pensions at 55

Royal Mail pension news and discussion.Please note the advise given in this forum is unofficial, please use the links we have for a more detailed response or see an independent financial adviser.
SWIM
Posts: 425
Joined: 11 Jan 2010, 20:33
Gender: Male

taking ALL pensions at 55

Post by SWIM »

has anyone taken all pensions at 55? lump sums...
age 60 + 65 RMPP + RMSPS

thoughts/regrets ?
'deal of the century' - dingo
Wullie10
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 718
Joined: 30 Jul 2017, 12:07
Gender: Male
Location: Retired

Re: taking ALL pensions at 55

Post by Wullie10 »

May I ask a question? Do you want to leave RM or continue working for them , if you intend to take your pension early ?
They'll be many different circumstances of posties taking pensions early and for some it will probably have been a good idea and some not so.
But I can't get my head around why anyone would want to take a pension early and continue working for the company for possibly another 12 years. Maybe someone is desperate to clear debts, or just fancy a new car which in 12 years time will be virtually worthless.
I like to hear the arguments for and against. But believe me those years from 55 to 65 fly by , and once you stop earning id like the highest possible pension I can get.
heapsy
Posts: 2972
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 23:40
Gender: Male
Location: Drinking with Gangsters

Re: taking ALL pensions at 55

Post by heapsy »

Wullie10 wrote: ↑
13 Sep 2026, 08:41
May I ask a question? Do you want to leave RM or continue working for them , if you intend to take your pension early ?
They'll be many different circumstances of posties taking pensions early and for some it will probably have been a good idea and some not so.
But I can't get my head around why anyone would want to take a pension early and continue working for the company for possibly another 12 years. Maybe someone is desperate to clear debts, or just fancy a new car which in 12 years time will be virtually worthless.
I like to hear the arguments for and against. But believe me those years from 55 to 65 fly by , and once you stop earning id like the highest possible pension I can get.
Some people are fixated by the change in the minimum age age you can take it. They also don't realise, smaller pension = smaller pension increases. Some also seem to be confused by the valuation figure of the DB schemes, thinking it is all their money.
Last edited by heapsy on 15 Sep 2026, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
Wullie10
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 718
Joined: 30 Jul 2017, 12:07
Gender: Male
Location: Retired

Re: taking ALL pensions at 55

Post by Wullie10 »

Something else to think about. Leaving your spouse your pension if you die. I believe they get 50% roughly. 50% of a pension taken early wont be a huge amount. To me personally that's important.
pieoftheday
Posts: 1842
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 16:43
Gender: Male

Re: taking ALL pensions at 55

Post by pieoftheday »

SWIM wrote: ↑
12 Sep 2026, 18:12
has anyone taken all pensions at 55? lump sums...
age 60 + 65 RMPP + RMSPS

thoughts/regrets ?
I took all mine at 55yrs, very happy
chlobo
Posts: 34
Joined: 11 Sep 2010, 18:46
Gender: Male

Re: taking ALL pensions at 55

Post by chlobo »

Took mine at 55 but didnt work there anymore and had 34 years service and very happy.
roadrunner bill
Posts: 472
Joined: 18 Oct 2018, 09:03
Gender: Male

Re: taking ALL pensions at 55

Post by roadrunner bill »

chlobo wrote: ↑
16 Sep 2026, 18:50
Took mine at 55 but didnt work there anymore and had 34 years service and very happy.
You took your pension.. and left.. so what are you doing g now for work please ?
NorthernBoy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 386
Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 21:08
Gender: Male

Re: taking ALL pensions at 55

Post by NorthernBoy »

Took every single pension at age 55, no regrets. Was planning to wait until 60 but changed my mind.

Of course you take a big reduction, but you’re getting it 5 years early. I think it worked out that it would take round 12 years at normal pension age until I was worse off

You need to ask what’s the reasons for taking them early and whether that fits your retirement plan.

With the state pension moving up very nicely these days, many people will have more than enough income at 67 when added to others sources. Remember 55-65 should be healthy years where you have energy to enjoy life.

Currently live very well off 2k a month.
pieoftheday
Posts: 1842
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 16:43
Gender: Male

Re: taking ALL pensions at 55

Post by pieoftheday »

NorthernBoy wrote: ↑
19 Sep 2026, 12:19
Took every single pension at age 55, no regrets. Was planning to wait until 60 but changed my mind.

Of course you take a big reduction, but you’re getting it 5 years early. I think it worked out that it would take round 12 years at normal pension age until I was worse off

You need to ask what’s the reasons for taking them early and whether that fits your retirement plan.

With the state pension moving up very nicely these days, many people will have more than enough income at 67 when added to others sources. Remember 55-65 should be healthy years where you have energy to enjoy life.

Currently live very well off 2k a month.
2k a monthly pension? Or are you including using your lump sum in that 2k?
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: taking ALL pensions at 55

Post by NWpostie »

Personally I'm waiting until NRA60 to claim the first part of my pension with the max AVC lump sum to preserve as much of the original pot as possible,at the same time I'm saving up as much as I can, I also have some stocks and shares ISA in place.

For tax reasons, I plan to take my NRA65 and NRA67 when due, I have no debts whatsoever so I can afford to let accrue between now and then, if you take them all at once you will get taxed heavily for that tax year.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4111
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: taking ALL pensions at 55

Post by ted_e_bear »

NorthernBoy wrote: ↑
19 Sep 2026, 12:19
Took every single pension at age 55, no regrets. Was planning to wait until 60 but changed my mind.

Of course you take a big reduction, but you’re getting it 5 years early. I think it worked out that it would take round 12 years at normal pension age until I was worse off

You need to ask what’s the reasons for taking them early and whether that fits your retirement plan.

With the state pension moving up very nicely these days, many people will have more than enough income at 67 when added to others sources. Remember 55-65 should be healthy years where you have energy to enjoy life.

Currently live very well off 2k a month.
2k a month, that's excellent in fact it's actually slightly more than my 37hrs legacy contract take home pay for a flat week 👍
pieoftheday
Posts: 1842
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 16:43
Gender: Male

Re: taking ALL pensions at 55

Post by pieoftheday »

ted_e_bear wrote: ↑
21 Sep 2026, 15:55
NorthernBoy wrote: ↑
19 Sep 2026, 12:19
Took every single pension at age 55, no regrets. Was planning to wait until 60 but changed my mind.

Of course you take a big reduction, but you’re getting it 5 years early. I think it worked out that it would take round 12 years at normal pension age until I was worse off

You need to ask what’s the reasons for taking them early and whether that fits your retirement plan.

With the state pension moving up very nicely these days, many people will have more than enough income at 67 when added to others sources. Remember 55-65 should be healthy years where you have energy to enjoy life.

Currently live very well off 2k a month.
2k a month, that's excellent in fact it's actually slightly more than my 37hrs legacy contract take home pay for a flat week 👍
I'm section B, 39 years, tax isn't quite sorted yet, £800 a month. I did take a bigger lump sum as it worked out better, but 2k seems a lot?
Hitcher
Posts: 1532
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: taking ALL pensions at 55

Post by Hitcher »

I assume that's including state pension.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6699
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: taking ALL pensions at 55

Post by RobertT »

If memory serves me correctly, NorthernBoy turned 55 fairly recently but also has a part time job and adding those wages to his pension has enabled him to retire.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
Wullie10
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 718
Joined: 30 Jul 2017, 12:07
Gender: Male
Location: Retired

Re: taking ALL pensions at 55

Post by Wullie10 »

RobertT wrote: ↑
21 Sep 2026, 19:23
If memory serves me correctly, NorthernBoy turned 55 fairly recently but also has a part time job and adding those wages to his pension has enabled him to retire.
Good memory. No postie will be on a 2k a month pension taken at 55. Unless eating in to the lump sum