ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Is shop work actually worse?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: Is shop work actually worse?

Post by postiewhite »

Any job that is Monday to Friday is better than Royal Mail full stop.
Mick100
Posts: 275
Joined: 04 Feb 2016, 10:00
Gender: Male

Re: Is shop work actually worse?

Post by Mick100 »

Don’t get why people hate this job don’t stress, come in do your time do what you can, I very rarely finish just rotate
post6675
Posts: 168
Joined: 05 Dec 2022, 11:10
Gender: Male

Re: Is shop work actually worse?

Post by post6675 »

postiewhite wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 10:14
Any job that is Monday to Friday is better than Royal Mail full stop.
this just screams your lack of experience in other jobs
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: Is shop work actually worse?

Post by DirtyHarry »

It used to be.
Kesknight
Posts: 98
Joined: 11 Aug 2016, 22:00
Gender: Male

Re: Is shop work actually worse?

Post by Kesknight »

Mick100 wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 11:47
Don’t get why people hate this job don’t stress, come in do your time do what you can, I very rarely finish just rotate
Exactly, i can't understand why people let this job get them down. I've been on 36 years, it certainly won't get me down.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Is shop work actually worse?

Post by rambo1 »

Mick100 wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 11:47
Don’t get why people hate this job don’t stress, come in do your time do what you can, I very rarely finish just rotate
Exactly. Unless they bring in commit to deliver there's nothing to worry about. Bit of stress in morning then out in the fresh air.
themaze
Posts: 121
Joined: 12 Oct 2007, 21:36

Re: Is shop work actually worse?

Post by themaze »

postiewhite wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 10:14
Any job that is Monday to Friday is better than Royal Mail full stop.
worth considering all those things you do in the late afternoon/evening are much harder to commit to when you don't finish work until 5 or 6 pm.

things like breaking off aren't really a option either although the flip side is if you do work on the overtime is much better than rm and it's appreciated .

in my experience booking leave is far easier as you book hours not days so it's way more flexible .
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: Is shop work actually worse?

Post by postiewhite »

post6675 wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 11:50
postiewhite wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 10:14
Any job that is Monday to Friday is better than Royal Mail full stop.
this just screams your lack of experience in other jobs
Eh??? That comment absolutely made no sense at all.
Did you just pluck that remark from thin air?!!
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Re: Is shop work actually worse?

Post by postieblueshirt »

postiewhite wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 23:19
post6675 wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 11:50
postiewhite wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 10:14
Any job that is Monday to Friday is better than Royal Mail full stop.
this just screams your lack of experience in other jobs
Eh??? That comment absolutely made no sense at all.
Did you just pluck that remark from thin air?!!
Lots of people are hung up on the your institutionalised remarks I think people are envious of people who have done the job for years dunno why..
Wolf91
Posts: 506
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Is shop work actually worse?

Post by Wolf91 »

I’ve done jobs that are a lot worse day to day than RM.
RM is very physical though. Too physical day to day I would say. The pay should reflect that and we should be adequately compensated for how hard we have to work.
There are definitely perks though; I like being outdoors in my own van really not cooped up in some shop or warehouse.
post6675
Posts: 168
Joined: 05 Dec 2022, 11:10
Gender: Male

Re: Is shop work actually worse?

Post by post6675 »

postiewhite wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 23:19
post6675 wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 11:50
postiewhite wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 10:14
Any job that is Monday to Friday is better than Royal Mail full stop.
this just screams your lack of experience in other jobs
Eh??? That comment absolutely made no sense at all.
Did you just pluck that remark from thin air?!!
there are MANY jobs that are worse than RM. you either have minimal experience in other jobs or you have been a postie your whole life and know nothing else. working for royal mail is not bad compared to many other jobs
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Is shop work actually worse?

Post by scoobydo79 »

I’ve done the assembly line thing 8am to 5 pm with pressure put on you to do 7 to 6 and hated every minute of it. This job will have to get far worse till I return to that way of life believe Me
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: Is shop work actually worse?

Post by postiewhite »

post6675 wrote: ↑
17 Apr 2023, 12:13
postiewhite wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 23:19
post6675 wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 11:50
postiewhite wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 10:14
Any job that is Monday to Friday is better than Royal Mail full stop.
this just screams your lack of experience in other jobs
Eh??? That comment absolutely made no sense at all.
Did you just pluck that remark from thin air?!!
there are MANY jobs that are worse than RM. you either have minimal experience in other jobs or you have been a postie your whole life and know nothing else. working for royal mail is not bad compared to many other jobs
Personally I wouldn't do shop work and you're not gonna get a Monday to Friday shift pattern in that line of work anyway.
Well I've been a postie for exactly 10 years and previous to that I lived and worked in Spain for many years and will more than likely retire there in another 10 years.
Yes there are worse jobs than RM but there were more worse jobs than RM five years ago. Many have seen vast changes especially over the last 3-4yrs, 4hr deliveries are now around 5hrs and this will only get worse. I'm 50yrs old now and I've seen many people around me in their 50s who are physically knackered with the workload that they NOW expect of us.

My plan is to train for HGV class 2 NOT class 1. I know 2 people that have recently done this who jumped from RM and they are not half as knackered as they used to be when they were a postie, the pressure on the body improved 100% plus they both work Monday to Friday and they told me first hand their energy levels are so much better and having a proper weekend off every week feels like a proper break. Oh and both are on over £33k and don't work past 5pm. (One does 6am til 2.30pm). Class 1 work is the one to avoid as that usually involves night work and is more for a single person.

RM is a young person's job now just because of the work load now compared to a few years back. I do enjoy my job but it's getting so hard now especially with the older people. It's not personal it's just that I don't want be physically knackered in 10 more years. I'm looking to get out soon. I do get the grass is not always greener but I've read more positives than negatives from people that have left
Postman12345
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 15
Joined: 01 Feb 2023, 13:06
Gender: Male

Re: Is shop work actually worse?

Post by Postman12345 »

postiewhite wrote: ↑
17 Apr 2023, 16:26
post6675 wrote: ↑
17 Apr 2023, 12:13
postiewhite wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 23:19
post6675 wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 11:50
postiewhite wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 10:14
Any job that is Monday to Friday is better than Royal Mail full stop.
this just screams your lack of experience in other jobs
Eh??? That comment absolutely made no sense at all.
Did you just pluck that remark from thin air?!!
there are MANY jobs that are worse than RM. you either have minimal experience in other jobs or you have been a postie your whole life and know nothing else. working for royal mail is not bad compared to many other jobs
Personally I wouldn't do shop work and you're not gonna get a Monday to Friday shift pattern in that line of work anyway.
Well I've been a postie for exactly 10 years and previous to that I lived and worked in Spain for many years and will more than likely retire there in another 10 years.
Yes there are worse jobs than RM but there were more worse jobs than RM five years ago. Many have seen vast changes especially over the last 3-4yrs, 4hr deliveries are now around 5hrs and this will only get worse. I'm 50yrs old now and I've seen many people around me in their 50s who are physically knackered with the workload that they NOW expect of us.

My plan is to train for HGV class 2 NOT class 1. I know 2 people that have recently done this who jumped from RM and they are not half as knackered as they used to be when they were a postie, the pressure on the body improved 100% plus they both work Monday to Friday and they told me first hand their energy levels are so much better and having a proper weekend off every week feels like a proper break. Oh and both are on over £33k and don't work past 5pm. (One does 6am til 2.30pm). Class 1 work is the one to avoid as that usually involves night work and is more for a single person.

RM is a young person's job now just because of the work load now compared to a few years back. I do enjoy my job but it's getting so hard now especially with the older people. It's not personal it's just that I don't want be physically knackered in 10 more years. I'm looking to get out soon. I do get the grass is not always greener but I've read more positives than negatives from people that have left
Class 2 workers won’t be on 33k mate,especially if they only just passed,i left Royal Mail and just started my first class 1 job and I’m barely on 30k but I’ll be up to 40k in a couple of years time, they was right about not being knackered tho i did 19 years I’m only 37 and was getting to much for me, I’m like a new man and I feel rested and recovered every week with a weekend off, you don’t realise till you get out how different you feel
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: Is shop work actually worse?

Post by postiewhite »

Postman12345 wrote: ↑
17 Apr 2023, 17:47
postiewhite wrote: ↑
17 Apr 2023, 16:26
post6675 wrote: ↑
17 Apr 2023, 12:13
postiewhite wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 23:19
post6675 wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 11:50
postiewhite wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2023, 10:14
Any job that is Monday to Friday is better than Royal Mail full stop.
this just screams your lack of experience in other jobs
Eh??? That comment absolutely made no sense at all.
Did you just pluck that remark from thin air?!!
there are MANY jobs that are worse than RM. you either have minimal experience in other jobs or you have been a postie your whole life and know nothing else. working for royal mail is not bad compared to many other jobs
Personally I wouldn't do shop work and you're not gonna get a Monday to Friday shift pattern in that line of work anyway.
Well I've been a postie for exactly 10 years and previous to that I lived and worked in Spain for many years and will more than likely retire there in another 10 years.
Yes there are worse jobs than RM but there were more worse jobs than RM five years ago. Many have seen vast changes especially over the last 3-4yrs, 4hr deliveries are now around 5hrs and this will only get worse. I'm 50yrs old now and I've seen many people around me in their 50s who are physically knackered with the workload that they NOW expect of us.

My plan is to train for HGV class 2 NOT class 1. I know 2 people that have recently done this who jumped from RM and they are not half as knackered as they used to be when they were a postie, the pressure on the body improved 100% plus they both work Monday to Friday and they told me first hand their energy levels are so much better and having a proper weekend off every week feels like a proper break. Oh and both are on over £33k and don't work past 5pm. (One does 6am til 2.30pm). Class 1 work is the one to avoid as that usually involves night work and is more for a single person.

RM is a young person's job now just because of the work load now compared to a few years back. I do enjoy my job but it's getting so hard now especially with the older people. It's not personal it's just that I don't want be physically knackered in 10 more years. I'm looking to get out soon. I do get the grass is not always greener but I've read more positives than negatives from people that have left
Class 2 workers won’t be on 33k mate,especially if they only just passed,i left Royal Mail and just started my first class 1 job and I’m barely on 30k but I’ll be up to 40k in a couple of years time, they was right about not being knackered tho i did 19 years I’m only 37 and was getting to much for me, I’m like a new man and I feel rested and recovered every week with a weekend off, you don’t realise till you get out how different you feel
No not to start with your right. It will be agency work and probably something in the region of the same sort of hourly rate we are on at RM but once you get that 12 months experience then I'm sure jobs will become easier to get and wages will go up to around the 30k mark. To be fair I'm more interested in the balance of lifestyle and not shattering my body as I get older which is what will happen as a postie now.
Thanks for the reassurance, there is also another thread on here about what people have been doing after RM and HGV driving comes up regularly usually with praise. I get that you would need to start at the bottom to get that initial experience but I'm looking at this at a long term thing. I recently did Jury service for a few weeks so I had quite a few Saturdays off in a row and it was like a real treat to have that. Going out on a Saturday night with the missus and feeling energetic which is rare.
Life is too short