ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Is shop work actually worse?
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Is shop work actually worse?
Any job that is Monday to Friday is better than Royal Mail full stop.
-
Mick100
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 04 Feb 2016, 10:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Is shop work actually worse?
Don’t get why people hate this job don’t stress, come in do your time do what you can, I very rarely finish just rotate
-
post6675
- Posts: 168
- Joined: 05 Dec 2022, 11:10
- Gender: Male
Re: Is shop work actually worse?
this just screams your lack of experience in other jobspostiewhite wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 10:14Any job that is Monday to Friday is better than Royal Mail full stop.
-
DirtyHarry
- Posts: 5051
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Re: Is shop work actually worse?
It used to be.
-
Kesknight
- Posts: 98
- Joined: 11 Aug 2016, 22:00
- Gender: Male
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
-
themaze
- Posts: 121
- Joined: 12 Oct 2007, 21:36
Re: Is shop work actually worse?
worth considering all those things you do in the late afternoon/evening are much harder to commit to when you don't finish work until 5 or 6 pm.postiewhite wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 10:14Any job that is Monday to Friday is better than Royal Mail full stop.
things like breaking off aren't really a option either although the flip side is if you do work on the overtime is much better than rm and it's appreciated .
in my experience booking leave is far easier as you book hours not days so it's way more flexible .
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Is shop work actually worse?
Eh??? That comment absolutely made no sense at all.post6675 wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 11:50this just screams your lack of experience in other jobspostiewhite wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 10:14Any job that is Monday to Friday is better than Royal Mail full stop.
Did you just pluck that remark from thin air?!!
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Is shop work actually worse?
Lots of people are hung up on the your institutionalised remarks I think people are envious of people who have done the job for years dunno why..postiewhite wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 23:19Eh??? That comment absolutely made no sense at all.post6675 wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 11:50this just screams your lack of experience in other jobspostiewhite wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 10:14Any job that is Monday to Friday is better than Royal Mail full stop.
Did you just pluck that remark from thin air?!!
-
Wolf91
- Posts: 506
- Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Is shop work actually worse?
I’ve done jobs that are a lot worse day to day than RM.
RM is very physical though. Too physical day to day I would say. The pay should reflect that and we should be adequately compensated for how hard we have to work.
There are definitely perks though; I like being outdoors in my own van really not cooped up in some shop or warehouse.
RM is very physical though. Too physical day to day I would say. The pay should reflect that and we should be adequately compensated for how hard we have to work.
There are definitely perks though; I like being outdoors in my own van really not cooped up in some shop or warehouse.
-
post6675
- Posts: 168
- Joined: 05 Dec 2022, 11:10
- Gender: Male
Re: Is shop work actually worse?
there are MANY jobs that are worse than RM. you either have minimal experience in other jobs or you have been a postie your whole life and know nothing else. working for royal mail is not bad compared to many other jobspostiewhite wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 23:19Eh??? That comment absolutely made no sense at all.post6675 wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 11:50this just screams your lack of experience in other jobspostiewhite wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 10:14Any job that is Monday to Friday is better than Royal Mail full stop.
Did you just pluck that remark from thin air?!!
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2057
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Is shop work actually worse?
I’ve done the assembly line thing 8am to 5 pm with pressure put on you to do 7 to 6 and hated every minute of it. This job will have to get far worse till I return to that way of life believe Me
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Is shop work actually worse?
Personally I wouldn't do shop work and you're not gonna get a Monday to Friday shift pattern in that line of work anyway.post6675 wrote: ↑17 Apr 2023, 12:13there are MANY jobs that are worse than RM. you either have minimal experience in other jobs or you have been a postie your whole life and know nothing else. working for royal mail is not bad compared to many other jobspostiewhite wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 23:19Eh??? That comment absolutely made no sense at all.post6675 wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 11:50this just screams your lack of experience in other jobspostiewhite wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 10:14Any job that is Monday to Friday is better than Royal Mail full stop.
Did you just pluck that remark from thin air?!!
Well I've been a postie for exactly 10 years and previous to that I lived and worked in Spain for many years and will more than likely retire there in another 10 years.
Yes there are worse jobs than RM but there were more worse jobs than RM five years ago. Many have seen vast changes especially over the last 3-4yrs, 4hr deliveries are now around 5hrs and this will only get worse. I'm 50yrs old now and I've seen many people around me in their 50s who are physically knackered with the workload that they NOW expect of us.
My plan is to train for HGV class 2 NOT class 1. I know 2 people that have recently done this who jumped from RM and they are not half as knackered as they used to be when they were a postie, the pressure on the body improved 100% plus they both work Monday to Friday and they told me first hand their energy levels are so much better and having a proper weekend off every week feels like a proper break. Oh and both are on over £33k and don't work past 5pm. (One does 6am til 2.30pm). Class 1 work is the one to avoid as that usually involves night work and is more for a single person.
RM is a young person's job now just because of the work load now compared to a few years back. I do enjoy my job but it's getting so hard now especially with the older people. It's not personal it's just that I don't want be physically knackered in 10 more years. I'm looking to get out soon. I do get the grass is not always greener but I've read more positives than negatives from people that have left
-
Postman12345
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 01 Feb 2023, 13:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Is shop work actually worse?
Class 2 workers won’t be on 33k mate,especially if they only just passed,i left Royal Mail and just started my first class 1 job and I’m barely on 30k but I’ll be up to 40k in a couple of years time, they was right about not being knackered tho i did 19 years I’m only 37 and was getting to much for me, I’m like a new man and I feel rested and recovered every week with a weekend off, you don’t realise till you get out how different you feelpostiewhite wrote: ↑17 Apr 2023, 16:26Personally I wouldn't do shop work and you're not gonna get a Monday to Friday shift pattern in that line of work anyway.post6675 wrote: ↑17 Apr 2023, 12:13there are MANY jobs that are worse than RM. you either have minimal experience in other jobs or you have been a postie your whole life and know nothing else. working for royal mail is not bad compared to many other jobspostiewhite wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 23:19Eh??? That comment absolutely made no sense at all.post6675 wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 11:50this just screams your lack of experience in other jobspostiewhite wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 10:14Any job that is Monday to Friday is better than Royal Mail full stop.
Did you just pluck that remark from thin air?!!
Well I've been a postie for exactly 10 years and previous to that I lived and worked in Spain for many years and will more than likely retire there in another 10 years.
Yes there are worse jobs than RM but there were more worse jobs than RM five years ago. Many have seen vast changes especially over the last 3-4yrs, 4hr deliveries are now around 5hrs and this will only get worse. I'm 50yrs old now and I've seen many people around me in their 50s who are physically knackered with the workload that they NOW expect of us.
My plan is to train for HGV class 2 NOT class 1. I know 2 people that have recently done this who jumped from RM and they are not half as knackered as they used to be when they were a postie, the pressure on the body improved 100% plus they both work Monday to Friday and they told me first hand their energy levels are so much better and having a proper weekend off every week feels like a proper break. Oh and both are on over £33k and don't work past 5pm. (One does 6am til 2.30pm). Class 1 work is the one to avoid as that usually involves night work and is more for a single person.
RM is a young person's job now just because of the work load now compared to a few years back. I do enjoy my job but it's getting so hard now especially with the older people. It's not personal it's just that I don't want be physically knackered in 10 more years. I'm looking to get out soon. I do get the grass is not always greener but I've read more positives than negatives from people that have left
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Is shop work actually worse?
No not to start with your right. It will be agency work and probably something in the region of the same sort of hourly rate we are on at RM but once you get that 12 months experience then I'm sure jobs will become easier to get and wages will go up to around the 30k mark. To be fair I'm more interested in the balance of lifestyle and not shattering my body as I get older which is what will happen as a postie now.Postman12345 wrote: ↑17 Apr 2023, 17:47Class 2 workers won’t be on 33k mate,especially if they only just passed,i left Royal Mail and just started my first class 1 job and I’m barely on 30k but I’ll be up to 40k in a couple of years time, they was right about not being knackered tho i did 19 years I’m only 37 and was getting to much for me, I’m like a new man and I feel rested and recovered every week with a weekend off, you don’t realise till you get out how different you feelpostiewhite wrote: ↑17 Apr 2023, 16:26Personally I wouldn't do shop work and you're not gonna get a Monday to Friday shift pattern in that line of work anyway.post6675 wrote: ↑17 Apr 2023, 12:13there are MANY jobs that are worse than RM. you either have minimal experience in other jobs or you have been a postie your whole life and know nothing else. working for royal mail is not bad compared to many other jobspostiewhite wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 23:19Eh??? That comment absolutely made no sense at all.post6675 wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 11:50this just screams your lack of experience in other jobspostiewhite wrote: ↑16 Apr 2023, 10:14Any job that is Monday to Friday is better than Royal Mail full stop.
Did you just pluck that remark from thin air?!!
Well I've been a postie for exactly 10 years and previous to that I lived and worked in Spain for many years and will more than likely retire there in another 10 years.
Yes there are worse jobs than RM but there were more worse jobs than RM five years ago. Many have seen vast changes especially over the last 3-4yrs, 4hr deliveries are now around 5hrs and this will only get worse. I'm 50yrs old now and I've seen many people around me in their 50s who are physically knackered with the workload that they NOW expect of us.
My plan is to train for HGV class 2 NOT class 1. I know 2 people that have recently done this who jumped from RM and they are not half as knackered as they used to be when they were a postie, the pressure on the body improved 100% plus they both work Monday to Friday and they told me first hand their energy levels are so much better and having a proper weekend off every week feels like a proper break. Oh and both are on over £33k and don't work past 5pm. (One does 6am til 2.30pm). Class 1 work is the one to avoid as that usually involves night work and is more for a single person.
RM is a young person's job now just because of the work load now compared to a few years back. I do enjoy my job but it's getting so hard now especially with the older people. It's not personal it's just that I don't want be physically knackered in 10 more years. I'm looking to get out soon. I do get the grass is not always greener but I've read more positives than negatives from people that have left
Thanks for the reassurance, there is also another thread on here about what people have been doing after RM and HGV driving comes up regularly usually with praise. I get that you would need to start at the bottom to get that initial experience but I'm looking at this at a long term thing. I recently did Jury service for a few weeks so I had quite a few Saturdays off in a row and it was like a real treat to have that. Going out on a Saturday night with the missus and feeling energetic which is rare.
Life is too short