ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

I finally left royal mail

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by postiewhite »

I've thought of a couple of options at 50yrs old (10yrs @ RM).

I spoke to a guy today in one of the buildings I deliver to who is a security guard that basically lets people in and out whilst checking in clients. He says he takes home 2100 a month and works 4 on 4 off and it's all day work. He absolutely loves it, he has the Tele on, a small kitchen to the side where he can have as many drinks as he wants and he basically gets paid for hardly doing anything. He told me to look on getlicenced website and look into a 4 day training.

Option two was to go for my HGV license but only do class 2, pay is about £15 an hour and you can get day work without weekends but I might get messed about with agencies for a year until I get the experience that a lot of companies want.

Option 3 is to go on the bins. My mate jumped from RM to Wakefield council last year, they have just had a £2k payrise so it's around £24k a year. This is a 4 day week by the way with every Sat,Sun and Mon off, it's also job and knock and he finishes between 12 and 1.30.

Like I say I'm 50 now, mortgage is low and I'm not sure if I can do this job at 55 so I think I'm going to explore options within the next 12 months.
My next job will be including most of not all weekends off. There are jobs out there
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by Jahpostie »

What about pharmacy delivery jobs to people's homes. Saw a couple advertised before I jumped. Surely ideal for an ex-postie. Saying that, I thought being a postie would be ideal!
hawkeye622
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 122
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 21:03
Gender: Male

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by hawkeye622 »

Jahpostie wrote: ↑
27 Mar 2023, 18:32
What about pharmacy delivery jobs to people's homes. Saw a couple advertised before I jumped. Surely ideal for an ex-postie. Saying that, I thought being a postie would be ideal!
My younger brother does this Mon-Fri... says its piss eaay but the pay isn't great.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by rambo1 »

postiewhite wrote: ↑
27 Mar 2023, 18:23
I've thought of a couple of options at 50yrs old (10yrs @ RM).

I spoke to a guy today in one of the buildings I deliver to who is a security guard that basically lets people in and out whilst checking in clients. He says he takes home 2100 a month and works 4 on 4 off and it's all day work. He absolutely loves it, he has the Tele on, a small kitchen to the side where he can have as many drinks as he wants and he basically gets paid for hardly doing anything. He told me to look on getlicenced website and look into a 4 day training.

Option two was to go for my HGV license but only do class 2, pay is about £15 an hour and you can get day work without weekends but I might get messed about with agencies for a year until I get the experience that a lot of companies want.

Option 3 is to go on the bins. My mate jumped from RM to Wakefield council last year, they have just had a £2k payrise so it's around £24k a year. This is a 4 day week by the way with every Sat,Sun and Mon off, it's also job and knock and he finishes between 12 and 1.30.

Like I say I'm 50 now, mortgage is low and I'm not sure if I can do this job at 55 so I think I'm going to explore options within the next 12 months.
My next job will be including most of not all weekends off. There are jobs out there
Think if you're struggling as a postie, being a bin man is not a good idea. Whenever I see em they're basically jogging round all day!
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by postiewhite »

rambo1 wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2023, 14:45
postiewhite wrote: ↑
27 Mar 2023, 18:23
I've thought of a couple of options at 50yrs old (10yrs @ RM).

I spoke to a guy today in one of the buildings I deliver to who is a security guard that basically lets people in and out whilst checking in clients. He says he takes home 2100 a month and works 4 on 4 off and it's all day work. He absolutely loves it, he has the Tele on, a small kitchen to the side where he can have as many drinks as he wants and he basically gets paid for hardly doing anything. He told me to look on getlicenced website and look into a 4 day training.

Option two was to go for my HGV license but only do class 2, pay is about £15 an hour and you can get day work without weekends but I might get messed about with agencies for a year until I get the experience that a lot of companies want.

Option 3 is to go on the bins. My mate jumped from RM to Wakefield council last year, they have just had a £2k payrise so it's around £24k a year. This is a 4 day week by the way with every Sat,Sun and Mon off, it's also job and knock and he finishes between 12 and 1.30.

Like I say I'm 50 now, mortgage is low and I'm not sure if I can do this job at 55 so I think I'm going to explore options within the next 12 months.
My next job will be including most of not all weekends off. There are jobs out there
Think if you're struggling as a postie, being a bin man is not a good idea. Whenever I see em they're basically jogging round all day!
This is because it's job and knock not for the fact that they can't get done on time. My friend says their finish time is 4pm but they never work past 1.30pm. It's still a 4 day week (it is for Wakefield council) and they have a nice long weekend every week. He regularly goes away to the coast or London most weeks. We never get time for that at Royal Mail
SMS1969
Posts: 1022
Joined: 28 Jun 2021, 11:36
Gender: Male

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by SMS1969 »

Jahpostie wrote: ↑
26 Mar 2023, 13:29
Left over a year ago. Now 9-5 in an office doing admin. Pay a lot better. Conditions a lot better. Benefits a lot better. No lapsing, D2Ds, ridiculous workloads or absolute fatigue at the end of every day. Get out of there if you can, it's like a Victorian workhouse and getting worse. Run into the ground for profit by utter scumbags.
So are you saying that you get more than £13.37 an hour doing admin?
SMS1969
Posts: 1022
Joined: 28 Jun 2021, 11:36
Gender: Male

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by SMS1969 »

hawkeye622 wrote: ↑
27 Mar 2023, 18:39
Jahpostie wrote: ↑
27 Mar 2023, 18:32
What about pharmacy delivery jobs to people's homes. Saw a couple advertised before I jumped. Surely ideal for an ex-postie. Saying that, I thought being a postie would be ideal!
My younger brother does this Mon-Fri... says its piss eaay but the pay isn't great.
That will be minimum wage.
sixfoottwo
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 569
Joined: 11 May 2017, 15:15
Gender: Male

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by sixfoottwo »

SMS1969 wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2023, 16:21
Jahpostie wrote: ↑
26 Mar 2023, 13:29
Left over a year ago. Now 9-5 in an office doing admin. Pay a lot better. Conditions a lot better. Benefits a lot better. No lapsing, D2Ds, ridiculous workloads or absolute fatigue at the end of every day. Get out of there if you can, it's like a Victorian workhouse and getting worse. Run into the ground for profit by utter scumbags.
So are you saying that you get more than £13.37 an hour doing admin?
Who's on that? Is that what we are on with allowances included?? I've never really worked it out just looked at the week amount!
SMS1969
Posts: 1022
Joined: 28 Jun 2021, 11:36
Gender: Male

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by SMS1969 »

sixfoottwo wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2023, 17:10
SMS1969 wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2023, 16:21
Jahpostie wrote: ↑
26 Mar 2023, 13:29
Left over a year ago. Now 9-5 in an office doing admin. Pay a lot better. Conditions a lot better. Benefits a lot better. No lapsing, D2Ds, ridiculous workloads or absolute fatigue at the end of every day. Get out of there if you can, it's like a Victorian workhouse and getting worse. Run into the ground for profit by utter scumbags.
So are you saying that you get more than £13.37 an hour doing admin?
Who's on that? Is that what we are on with allowances included?? I've never really worked it out just looked at the week amount!
Posties are, after a year, when you include the delivery supplement. Obviously London gets more.
sixfoottwo
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 569
Joined: 11 May 2017, 15:15
Gender: Male

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by sixfoottwo »

Posties are, after a year, when you include the delivery supplement. Obviously London gets more.
Thanks for that, I've never really took much notice of the per hour wage only end of week wage!!
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by Jahpostie »

SMS1969 wrote: ↑
28 Mar 2023, 16:21
Jahpostie wrote: ↑
26 Mar 2023, 13:29
Left over a year ago. Now 9-5 in an office doing admin. Pay a lot better. Conditions a lot better. Benefits a lot better. No lapsing, D2Ds, ridiculous workloads or absolute fatigue at the end of every day. Get out of there if you can, it's like a Victorian workhouse and getting worse. Run into the ground for profit by utter scumbags.
So are you saying that you get more than £13.37 an hour doing admin?
I certainly am. I started on slightly higher than my hourly rate at RM. Since starting I've had a couple of decent pay rises. My son started an apprenticeship on slightly less than a full time postman's salary not so long ago. People need to realise, that in other jobs there are opportunities to earn more, either by simply getting better at the same job or moving into a different role. As a postie it is static unless you become a screw.
Constance
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 95
Joined: 28 Apr 2015, 06:06
Gender: Female

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by Constance »

I think people maybe grinding on at RM, with no social life or family life, think that there's nothing else out there for them, just because they are never ever given any form of appraisal at work on a constructive level.

In other jobs or other companies they want you to learn allsorts and give really valuable feedback . At RM Frontline, you're not ever invested in or upskilled as a worker( I don't recognise WTL as giving any transferable skills btw! ).

What does a postie bring to the table? Resilience, toughness, flexibility, problem solving, work planning skills, trustworthiness, service skills and a damn hard work ethic too.

Next time you've got some time off. Really think about what you do every day. And you do it really well guys.

Lots of employers would give their right arm to have a workforce like RM posties. I know job adverts sound sometimes like they want a cross between nuclear scientist and Ghandi but just quote Catherine Tate as your inner voice " I can do that". I guarantee you'll be surprised.

The more jobs you apply for now, the better you'll get at applications and interviews. It's something everyone gets better at with practice (that's failures!). By the time your perfect job pops up. You'll be ready.
Ozzy69
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 May 2020, 06:02
Gender: Male

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by Ozzy69 »

Finally leaving that hell hole with IHR 16 years service
nuklearpuppy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 63
Joined: 05 Nov 2010, 23:52
Gender: Female

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by nuklearpuppy »

Left last August after over 20 years service. Bumped into lots of ex colleagues who say it’s the best thing I done. They all look so downtrodden. I keep trying to explain that there are better options. I’m on less pay but the workload is far easier. Never any pressure. Work perks are far far better too. RM is on the brink of collapse and it won’t ever get better unfortunately.
Feel for all the good guys in there and having to deal with clueless managers who quite frankly couldn’t run a bath.
themaze
Posts: 121
Joined: 12 Oct 2007, 21:36

Re: I finally left royal mail

Post by themaze »

nuklearpuppy wrote: ↑
30 Mar 2023, 12:31
Left last August after over 20 years service. Bumped into lots of ex colleagues who say it’s the best thing I done. They all look so downtrodden. I keep trying to explain that there are better options. I’m on less pay but the workload is far easier. Never any pressure. Work perks are far far better too. RM is on the brink of collapse and it won’t ever get better unfortunately.
Feel for all the good guys in there and having to deal with clueless managers who quite frankly couldn’t run a bath.

Do you still identify more as a postman rather than your new job ?