ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
I finally left royal mail
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: I finally left royal mail
I've thought of a couple of options at 50yrs old (10yrs @ RM).
I spoke to a guy today in one of the buildings I deliver to who is a security guard that basically lets people in and out whilst checking in clients. He says he takes home 2100 a month and works 4 on 4 off and it's all day work. He absolutely loves it, he has the Tele on, a small kitchen to the side where he can have as many drinks as he wants and he basically gets paid for hardly doing anything. He told me to look on getlicenced website and look into a 4 day training.
Option two was to go for my HGV license but only do class 2, pay is about £15 an hour and you can get day work without weekends but I might get messed about with agencies for a year until I get the experience that a lot of companies want.
Option 3 is to go on the bins. My mate jumped from RM to Wakefield council last year, they have just had a £2k payrise so it's around £24k a year. This is a 4 day week by the way with every Sat,Sun and Mon off, it's also job and knock and he finishes between 12 and 1.30.
Like I say I'm 50 now, mortgage is low and I'm not sure if I can do this job at 55 so I think I'm going to explore options within the next 12 months.
My next job will be including most of not all weekends off. There are jobs out there
I spoke to a guy today in one of the buildings I deliver to who is a security guard that basically lets people in and out whilst checking in clients. He says he takes home 2100 a month and works 4 on 4 off and it's all day work. He absolutely loves it, he has the Tele on, a small kitchen to the side where he can have as many drinks as he wants and he basically gets paid for hardly doing anything. He told me to look on getlicenced website and look into a 4 day training.
Option two was to go for my HGV license but only do class 2, pay is about £15 an hour and you can get day work without weekends but I might get messed about with agencies for a year until I get the experience that a lot of companies want.
Option 3 is to go on the bins. My mate jumped from RM to Wakefield council last year, they have just had a £2k payrise so it's around £24k a year. This is a 4 day week by the way with every Sat,Sun and Mon off, it's also job and knock and he finishes between 12 and 1.30.
Like I say I'm 50 now, mortgage is low and I'm not sure if I can do this job at 55 so I think I'm going to explore options within the next 12 months.
My next job will be including most of not all weekends off. There are jobs out there
-
Jahpostie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 318
- Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
- Gender: Male
Re: I finally left royal mail
What about pharmacy delivery jobs to people's homes. Saw a couple advertised before I jumped. Surely ideal for an ex-postie. Saying that, I thought being a postie would be ideal!
-
hawkeye622
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 21:03
- Gender: Male
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Re: I finally left royal mail
Think if you're struggling as a postie, being a bin man is not a good idea. Whenever I see em they're basically jogging round all day!postiewhite wrote: ↑27 Mar 2023, 18:23I've thought of a couple of options at 50yrs old (10yrs @ RM).
I spoke to a guy today in one of the buildings I deliver to who is a security guard that basically lets people in and out whilst checking in clients. He says he takes home 2100 a month and works 4 on 4 off and it's all day work. He absolutely loves it, he has the Tele on, a small kitchen to the side where he can have as many drinks as he wants and he basically gets paid for hardly doing anything. He told me to look on getlicenced website and look into a 4 day training.
Option two was to go for my HGV license but only do class 2, pay is about £15 an hour and you can get day work without weekends but I might get messed about with agencies for a year until I get the experience that a lot of companies want.
Option 3 is to go on the bins. My mate jumped from RM to Wakefield council last year, they have just had a £2k payrise so it's around £24k a year. This is a 4 day week by the way with every Sat,Sun and Mon off, it's also job and knock and he finishes between 12 and 1.30.
Like I say I'm 50 now, mortgage is low and I'm not sure if I can do this job at 55 so I think I'm going to explore options within the next 12 months.
My next job will be including most of not all weekends off. There are jobs out there
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: I finally left royal mail
This is because it's job and knock not for the fact that they can't get done on time. My friend says their finish time is 4pm but they never work past 1.30pm. It's still a 4 day week (it is for Wakefield council) and they have a nice long weekend every week. He regularly goes away to the coast or London most weeks. We never get time for that at Royal Mailrambo1 wrote: ↑28 Mar 2023, 14:45Think if you're struggling as a postie, being a bin man is not a good idea. Whenever I see em they're basically jogging round all day!postiewhite wrote: ↑27 Mar 2023, 18:23I've thought of a couple of options at 50yrs old (10yrs @ RM).
I spoke to a guy today in one of the buildings I deliver to who is a security guard that basically lets people in and out whilst checking in clients. He says he takes home 2100 a month and works 4 on 4 off and it's all day work. He absolutely loves it, he has the Tele on, a small kitchen to the side where he can have as many drinks as he wants and he basically gets paid for hardly doing anything. He told me to look on getlicenced website and look into a 4 day training.
Option two was to go for my HGV license but only do class 2, pay is about £15 an hour and you can get day work without weekends but I might get messed about with agencies for a year until I get the experience that a lot of companies want.
Option 3 is to go on the bins. My mate jumped from RM to Wakefield council last year, they have just had a £2k payrise so it's around £24k a year. This is a 4 day week by the way with every Sat,Sun and Mon off, it's also job and knock and he finishes between 12 and 1.30.
Like I say I'm 50 now, mortgage is low and I'm not sure if I can do this job at 55 so I think I'm going to explore options within the next 12 months.
My next job will be including most of not all weekends off. There are jobs out there
-
SMS1969
- Posts: 1022
- Joined: 28 Jun 2021, 11:36
- Gender: Male
Re: I finally left royal mail
So are you saying that you get more than £13.37 an hour doing admin?Jahpostie wrote: ↑26 Mar 2023, 13:29Left over a year ago. Now 9-5 in an office doing admin. Pay a lot better. Conditions a lot better. Benefits a lot better. No lapsing, D2Ds, ridiculous workloads or absolute fatigue at the end of every day. Get out of there if you can, it's like a Victorian workhouse and getting worse. Run into the ground for profit by utter scumbags.
-
SMS1969
- Posts: 1022
- Joined: 28 Jun 2021, 11:36
- Gender: Male
Re: I finally left royal mail
That will be minimum wage.hawkeye622 wrote: ↑27 Mar 2023, 18:39My younger brother does this Mon-Fri... says its piss eaay but the pay isn't great.
-
sixfoottwo
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 569
- Joined: 11 May 2017, 15:15
- Gender: Male
Re: I finally left royal mail
Who's on that? Is that what we are on with allowances included?? I've never really worked it out just looked at the week amount!SMS1969 wrote: ↑28 Mar 2023, 16:21So are you saying that you get more than £13.37 an hour doing admin?Jahpostie wrote: ↑26 Mar 2023, 13:29Left over a year ago. Now 9-5 in an office doing admin. Pay a lot better. Conditions a lot better. Benefits a lot better. No lapsing, D2Ds, ridiculous workloads or absolute fatigue at the end of every day. Get out of there if you can, it's like a Victorian workhouse and getting worse. Run into the ground for profit by utter scumbags.
-
SMS1969
- Posts: 1022
- Joined: 28 Jun 2021, 11:36
- Gender: Male
Re: I finally left royal mail
Posties are, after a year, when you include the delivery supplement. Obviously London gets more.sixfoottwo wrote: ↑28 Mar 2023, 17:10Who's on that? Is that what we are on with allowances included?? I've never really worked it out just looked at the week amount!SMS1969 wrote: ↑28 Mar 2023, 16:21So are you saying that you get more than £13.37 an hour doing admin?Jahpostie wrote: ↑26 Mar 2023, 13:29Left over a year ago. Now 9-5 in an office doing admin. Pay a lot better. Conditions a lot better. Benefits a lot better. No lapsing, D2Ds, ridiculous workloads or absolute fatigue at the end of every day. Get out of there if you can, it's like a Victorian workhouse and getting worse. Run into the ground for profit by utter scumbags.
-
sixfoottwo
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 569
- Joined: 11 May 2017, 15:15
- Gender: Male
Re: I finally left royal mail
Thanks for that, I've never really took much notice of the per hour wage only end of week wage!!Posties are, after a year, when you include the delivery supplement. Obviously London gets more.
-
Jahpostie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 318
- Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
- Gender: Male
Re: I finally left royal mail
I certainly am. I started on slightly higher than my hourly rate at RM. Since starting I've had a couple of decent pay rises. My son started an apprenticeship on slightly less than a full time postman's salary not so long ago. People need to realise, that in other jobs there are opportunities to earn more, either by simply getting better at the same job or moving into a different role. As a postie it is static unless you become a screw.SMS1969 wrote: ↑28 Mar 2023, 16:21So are you saying that you get more than £13.37 an hour doing admin?Jahpostie wrote: ↑26 Mar 2023, 13:29Left over a year ago. Now 9-5 in an office doing admin. Pay a lot better. Conditions a lot better. Benefits a lot better. No lapsing, D2Ds, ridiculous workloads or absolute fatigue at the end of every day. Get out of there if you can, it's like a Victorian workhouse and getting worse. Run into the ground for profit by utter scumbags.
-
Constance
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 95
- Joined: 28 Apr 2015, 06:06
- Gender: Female
Re: I finally left royal mail
I think people maybe grinding on at RM, with no social life or family life, think that there's nothing else out there for them, just because they are never ever given any form of appraisal at work on a constructive level.
In other jobs or other companies they want you to learn allsorts and give really valuable feedback . At RM Frontline, you're not ever invested in or upskilled as a worker( I don't recognise WTL as giving any transferable skills btw! ).
What does a postie bring to the table? Resilience, toughness, flexibility, problem solving, work planning skills, trustworthiness, service skills and a damn hard work ethic too.
Next time you've got some time off. Really think about what you do every day. And you do it really well guys.
Lots of employers would give their right arm to have a workforce like RM posties. I know job adverts sound sometimes like they want a cross between nuclear scientist and Ghandi but just quote Catherine Tate as your inner voice " I can do that". I guarantee you'll be surprised.
The more jobs you apply for now, the better you'll get at applications and interviews. It's something everyone gets better at with practice (that's failures!). By the time your perfect job pops up. You'll be ready.
In other jobs or other companies they want you to learn allsorts and give really valuable feedback . At RM Frontline, you're not ever invested in or upskilled as a worker( I don't recognise WTL as giving any transferable skills btw! ).
What does a postie bring to the table? Resilience, toughness, flexibility, problem solving, work planning skills, trustworthiness, service skills and a damn hard work ethic too.
Next time you've got some time off. Really think about what you do every day. And you do it really well guys.
Lots of employers would give their right arm to have a workforce like RM posties. I know job adverts sound sometimes like they want a cross between nuclear scientist and Ghandi but just quote Catherine Tate as your inner voice " I can do that". I guarantee you'll be surprised.
The more jobs you apply for now, the better you'll get at applications and interviews. It's something everyone gets better at with practice (that's failures!). By the time your perfect job pops up. You'll be ready.
-
Ozzy69
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 28 May 2020, 06:02
- Gender: Male
Re: I finally left royal mail
Finally leaving that hell hole with IHR 16 years service
-
nuklearpuppy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 63
- Joined: 05 Nov 2010, 23:52
- Gender: Female
Re: I finally left royal mail
Left last August after over 20 years service. Bumped into lots of ex colleagues who say it’s the best thing I done. They all look so downtrodden. I keep trying to explain that there are better options. I’m on less pay but the workload is far easier. Never any pressure. Work perks are far far better too. RM is on the brink of collapse and it won’t ever get better unfortunately.
Feel for all the good guys in there and having to deal with clueless managers who quite frankly couldn’t run a bath.
Feel for all the good guys in there and having to deal with clueless managers who quite frankly couldn’t run a bath.
-
themaze
- Posts: 121
- Joined: 12 Oct 2007, 21:36
Re: I finally left royal mail
nuklearpuppy wrote: ↑30 Mar 2023, 12:31Left last August after over 20 years service. Bumped into lots of ex colleagues who say it’s the best thing I done. They all look so downtrodden. I keep trying to explain that there are better options. I’m on less pay but the workload is far easier. Never any pressure. Work perks are far far better too. RM is on the brink of collapse and it won’t ever get better unfortunately.
Feel for all the good guys in there and having to deal with clueless managers who quite frankly couldn’t run a bath.
Do you still identify more as a postman rather than your new job ?