ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Please Help, wrong house number on special delivery

For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.

This is an open forum.

Forum rules
For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.
Implications on mail after the UK's exit from the EU
From 1st January the rules for sending and receiving items to and from the EU will change.For more details please see... HERE
halogodnik

Help, Wrong house number on special delivery

Post by halogodnik »

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone could help me, I sent a special delivery letter to a client but apparently the wrong house number was given, I have rang royal mail and gotten the details sorted out as there was no sender address. Does anyone know how the process will go? And how long it will take?. The item was rejected at the wrong address on Nov 5th,2017. Since I have rang and confirmed the package to be sent back to me does anyone know if it will just come back or if it will take longer due to them having to open it. Thank you

halogodnik

Post by halogodnik »

Hi All, I was wondering if someone could help, I sent a package special delivery but accidentally put the wrong house number on, I instantly phoned customer service and sorted it out to be delivered back to sender(me). The item was rejected at the wrong address on November 5th. Two people from customer service told me it would be about two weeks. I phoned again to check on progress and was told it would be up to 30 days. My question is, since I have phoned and sorted out the correct address would they still have to open it to check for an address or can they just send it back since i would think it would take more time for them to open and look for an address that isnt there?

Thank you
yellowbelly

Post by yellowbelly »

halogodnik wrote:Hi All, I was wondering if someone could help, I sent a package special delivery but accidentally put the wrong house number on, I instantly phoned customer service and sorted it out to be delivered back to sender(me). The item was rejected at the wrong address on November 5th. Two people from customer service told me it would be about two weeks. I phoned again to check on progress and was told it would be up to 30 days. My question is, since I have phoned and sorted out the correct address would they still have to open it to check for an address or can they just send it back since i would think it would take more time for them to open and look for an address that isnt there?

Thank you
Someone will have more knowledge than me, but normally my Post Office insist that for Special Delivery a return address (even if it's just house number and
postcode) is put on the reverse of letter/packet/parcel. This way a 'Return To Sender' gets back to the sender pretty quickly (quicker than the 14 days or 30 days you''ve quoted).

From your posting about 'would they still have to open it to check for an address' it sounds like you might not have put on a return address on the outside of
the item? If this is the case it will probably go back to a central point (I think it's normally Belfast for 'normal' items not sure about Specials) to try and ascertain the return address, which might be why you've been quoted 14/30 days for return.

I would imagine if you've given a verbal return address this info will hopefully get to this 'central point' for returns as I wouldn't imagine that the item can
be intercepted en route and especially as it's a Special Delivery some sort of security check on the item/who to return it to will be needed (after all how do Customer
Services know that you sent the item based on a phone call?).

There will be other posties who have more experience in this area who will know the process in more detail if what I've surmised is incorrect.

Your tracking number should give some clue as to where the item is and it's progress as it should be scanned on its 'Return' route also.
scoobymunster

Post by scoobymunster »

I assume your delivery address was on the item? any rejected items get sent to the National Returns office (Belfast) and then sent back to the sender. You should get it back some stage next week hopefully.
halogodnik

Post by halogodnik »

Sadly no return address I believe and nothing inside that would indicate an address, there is a check for not much money but no address on the check either, I have expalained this to customer service and they said it would get re routed back to me, I explained there being sensitive information in the letter and was asking of the procedures on how they were handled. I was told that since I had given them a ring and corrected what was needed that everything should just be kept the way it is and sent back to me, each time I ring I get a different answer so I thought I would post here to see if I could get a few more answers. Thank you again for your help
Snaggletooth
EX POST OFFICE

Post by Snaggletooth »

I have never worked for Royal Mail, so take this with a pinch of salt, but ... I would be surprised if this item was returned without you submitting a P58inland form.