Absolutely No idea what that is, is it the same as when all my Businesses are at the end of my Mech? Plus a single address which has the correct Post Code so God Knows why it turns up at the end...Every Day!SpacePhoenix wrote:You can always tell when a DO isn't updating their A+ when you get bulk postings like electoral register postings, you get a load go straight to stacker 20 on the CSS
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
30hr contracts for all ????
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
30hr contracts for all ????
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
30hr contracts for all ????
Dorset Plodder wrote:Absolutely No idea what that is, is it the same as when all my Businesses are at the end of my Mech? Plus a single address which has the correct Post Code so God Knows why it turns up at the end...Every Day!SpacePhoenix wrote:You can always tell when a DO isn't updating their A+ when you get bulk postings like electoral register postings, you get a load go straight to stacker 20 on the CSS
There are 20 Stackers on a CSS machine. The end one (stacker 20) is basically where all the rejects end up and thus need to be manually sorted.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
30hr contracts for all ????
Decky Boy wrote:Machines are taking over guys.... there's a £1,000,000 sequencing machine (in Exeter I believe) that does the work of 12 night shift staff on it's own. Letters/Flats and Door to Door Items are sorted/sequenced/bundled together before being issued to Delivery Offices![]()
Soon there will only be parcel prep in Delivery Hubs in the morning... you'll not need a prep frame as the mail will have been bundled up for you by the new "super machines". It's not hard to see where thousands of hours can be saved... and jobs will go. Probably thousandsor
if you are a shareholder.
Anyone know any more about these machines ?
So imagine if all the letters and door to doors are all sorted and bundled together and then you get a full packet shroud for your walk to sort out. Do you really mean to tell me that parcel prep will entail unbundling the bundles that come in and then marking off where the parcels that need to be delivered within it? How does that make anything other than perfect sense? It would probably take you longer than it would than if it was in a frame. And what if there is someone new doing the duty? Er, which bundle is 'Cockburn street' in??
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
30hr contracts for all ????
I'm not even going to think about this stuff until it arrives. It's just mind boggling and was obviously suggested by people with absolutely NO UNDERSTANDING of how mail is delivered. They're just looking at ways of trying to save money.postslippete wrote:
So imagine if all the letters and door to doors are all sorted and bundled together and then you get a full packet shroud for your walk to sort out. Do you really mean to tell me that parcel prep will entail unbundling the bundles that come in and then marking off where the parcels that need to be delivered within it? How does that make anything other than perfect sense? It would probably take you longer than it would than if it was in a frame. And what if there is someone new doing the duty? Er, which bundle is 'Cockburn street' in??
Even as I'm throwing off I'm thinking, "Big Parcel for No 11... so I'll park outside and walk the loop from there......... Big Parcel for the end of the road....so I'll do that loop backwards etc etc". I find it prepares me for the days Delivery (which is NOT always delivered the same way). God Knows what it would be like if it just "Arrived" ready to go....apart from the little jobs you've mentioned.
At the moment I'm considering marking bundles to show there's a small parcel, or envelope,with a bloody 2d barcode hidden amongst it. As I don't carry the PDA ALL the time.....and sometimes get caught out half way around the loop when I find it. I expect the machine will do that for us though?
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Smir
- Posts: 124
- Joined: 31 Aug 2016, 16:48
- Gender: Male
30hr contracts for all ????
agreed, most days my route is based on what specials I have, I have specials near the end of the delivery, I'll start there...Dorset Plodder wrote:I'm not even going to think about this stuff until it arrives. It's just mind boggling and was obviously suggested by people with absolutely NO UNDERSTANDING of how mail is delivered. They're just looking at ways of trying to save money.
Even as I'm throwing off I'm thinking, "Big Parcel for No 11... so I'll park outside and walk the loop from there......... Big Parcel for the end of the road....so I'll do that loop backwards etc etc". I find it prepares me for the days Delivery (which is NOT always delivered the same way). God Knows what it would be like if it just "Arrived" ready to go....apart from the little jobs you've mentioned.
At the moment I'm considering marking bundles to show there's a small parcel, or envelope,with a bloody 2d barcode hidden amongst it. As I don't carry the PDA ALL the time.....and sometimes get caught out half way around the loop when I find it. I expect the machine will do that for us though?
I've been working for RM for 6 months now, and 2 of those have been spent at another DO, because it's very understaffed, there's recently been a revision and before this it ran perfectly, no sickness etc, everything every day was done and completed people lapsed when needed, now they have taken 2 deliveries out, increase the bulk delivering who also did bag drops, and made it so all deliveries lapses and more every day, it's totally not working.
I've been working in this office for 2 months now, doing well over my 30 hour contract, and starting 6.30 when its a 30 minute drive, when my normal DO is a 5min drive!!
as for the 2d barcodes they are mental, it's so much to scan everyone, letters as well have these little bastards, I scanned 10 letters for one house and every barcode worked :S
I'm yet to see my 2d scan percentage at this other office, unsure how they would tell, as rounds are messed up at the moment.
-
BeamishStout
- Posts: 387
- Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
- Gender: Male
30hr contracts for all ????
Yes I do this as wellDorset Plodder wrote: Even as I'm throwing off I'm thinking, "Big Parcel for No 11... so I'll park outside and walk the loop from there......... Big Parcel for the end of the road....so I'll do that loop backwards etc etc". I find it prepares me for the days Delivery (which is NOT always delivered the same way).
-
Decky Boy
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
- Gender: Male
30hr contracts for all ????
Imagine 6 or 6.5 hour deliveries split in two with a 30 minute meal relief in the middle. Mostly all mail/flats and Door to Door items plus a few small packets (one or two for each loop)... 10 to 16 miles a day with plenty of climbing but virtually no attendance calls other than "Signed For" letters ?postslippete wrote:So imagine if all the letters and door to doors are all sorted and bundled together and then you get a full packet shroud for your walk to sort out. Do you really mean to tell me that parcel prep will entail unbundling the bundles that come in and then marking off where the parcels that need to be delivered within it? How does that make anything other than perfect sense? It would probably take you longer than it would than if it was in a frame. And what if there is someone new doing the duty? Er, which bundle is 'Cockburn street' in??
So who will deliver all the Parcels I hear you ask ? With automation there'll be redundancies in mail centres. New Packet Duties will be created and staffed by our redundant brothers and sisters from processing. We won't need many mind you... as they too will be out on the street for 6 - 6.5 hours
Let's hope the individual who suggested this to me was just retelling a bad dream.... I certainly hope so
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12200
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
30hr contracts for all ????
I wouldn't be surprised to see letter delivery made every other day. There's no guarantee that it won't eventually end up like Canada with everyone collecting their own mail from the local officesDecky Boy wrote:Imagine 6 or 6.5 hour deliveries split in two with a 30 minute meal relief in the middle. Mostly all mail/flats and Door to Door items plus a few small packets (one or two for each loop)... 10 to 16 miles a day with plenty of climbing but virtually no attendance calls other than "Signed For" letters ?postslippete wrote:So imagine if all the letters and door to doors are all sorted and bundled together and then you get a full packet shroud for your walk to sort out. Do you really mean to tell me that parcel prep will entail unbundling the bundles that come in and then marking off where the parcels that need to be delivered within it? How does that make anything other than perfect sense? It would probably take you longer than it would than if it was in a frame. And what if there is someone new doing the duty? Er, which bundle is 'Cockburn street' in??
So who will deliver all the Parcels I hear you ask ? With automation there'll be redundancies in mail centres. New Packet Duties will be created and staffed by our redundant brothers and sisters from processing. We won't need many mind you... as they too will be out on the street for 6 - 6.5 hours![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Let's hope the individual who suggested this to me was just retelling a bad dream.... I certainly hope so
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
30hr contracts for all ????
It may surprise some Posties to learn that some of us are already on 6 1/4 hour Deliveries (including Meal relief)Decky Boy wrote:
Imagine 6 or 6.5 hour deliveries split in two with a 30 minute meal relief in the middle.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
dam52
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 08 Jul 2017, 10:33
- Gender: Male
30hr contracts for all ????
Which mail centres are next in line to get a cells machine.(large letter sorter machine)
Will this cause job losses if so how?
Why has this not been mentioned in our work time learning or royal mail tv.
Why are they being quiet about it.
Hmmm!! Seems ominous to the employees of royal mail if they are being quiet about it.
Will Bristol get one?
Will this cause job losses if so how?
Why has this not been mentioned in our work time learning or royal mail tv.
Why are they being quiet about it.
Hmmm!! Seems ominous to the employees of royal mail if they are being quiet about it.
Will Bristol get one?
-
ernieshoe
- Posts: 117
- Joined: 07 Dec 2016, 15:40
- Gender: Male
30hr contracts for all ????
YEPSouth_London_Postie wrote:HAhaha the full timers at it again trying to get the better end of a made up deal and shaft part timers with theoretical weekend work ! These same full timers who are gonna need us PT staff to help fight their pensions. Nice one mate :)citypostie wrote:
Change that to f/t mon-thur and P/t fri-sun and royal mail might get their wayaposter wrote:Got to be there for the late finishers, also what about locker personnel?rambo1 wrote:So if we went to 30hrs across the board, then would the linos and DOM's? As there'd be no need for them to be there any longer.
Of course they could do away with paid breaks, increase round length to 6 hours, and put in a 4 day week, p/t working less hours mon/tues and f/t working wd/th/fr/sat
Another part time stitch up possibly on the way.
Full timers get a 35 hour week on 39 hours pay.
30 hour Part timers get 30 hours pay for 30 hours work on generally shittier rounds !
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16716
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
30hr contracts for all ????
Every 1 hour reduction in the working week is approximately a 2.5% pay rise.ernieshoe wrote:
YEP
Another part time stitch up possibly on the way.
Full timers get a 35 hour week on 39 hours pay.
30 hour Part timers get 30 hours pay for 30 hours work on generally shittier rounds !
If we were to move to a 35 hour week with no loss of earnings, it would be approximately a 10% pay rise for p/t staff. In real money in your wages.
Where exactly is the stitch up?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
walkthewalk
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
- Gender: Male
30hr contracts for all ????
Me tooBeamishStout wrote:Yes I do this as wellDorset Plodder wrote: Even as I'm throwing off I'm thinking, "Big Parcel for No 11... so I'll park outside and walk the loop from there......... Big Parcel for the end of the road....so I'll do that loop backwards etc etc". I find it prepares me for the days Delivery (which is NOT always delivered the same way).
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
30hr contracts for all ????
Me too.walkthewalk wrote:Me tooBeamishStout wrote:Yes I do this as wellDorset Plodder wrote: Even as I'm throwing off I'm thinking, "Big Parcel for No 11... so I'll park outside and walk the loop from there......... Big Parcel for the end of the road....so I'll do that loop backwards etc etc". I find it prepares me for the days Delivery (which is NOT always delivered the same way).