ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

30hr contracts for all ????

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

30hr contracts for all ????

Post by Dorset Plodder »

SpacePhoenix wrote:You can always tell when a DO isn't updating their A+ when you get bulk postings like electoral register postings, you get a load go straight to stacker 20 on the CSS
Absolutely No idea what that is, is it the same as when all my Businesses are at the end of my Mech? Plus a single address which has the correct Post Code so God Knows why it turns up at the end...Every Day! :shock:
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

30hr contracts for all ????

Post by postslippete »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:You can always tell when a DO isn't updating their A+ when you get bulk postings like electoral register postings, you get a load go straight to stacker 20 on the CSS
Absolutely No idea what that is, is it the same as when all my Businesses are at the end of my Mech? Plus a single address which has the correct Post Code so God Knows why it turns up at the end...Every Day! :shock:

There are 20 Stackers on a CSS machine. The end one (stacker 20) is basically where all the rejects end up and thus need to be manually sorted.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

30hr contracts for all ????

Post by postslippete »

Decky Boy wrote:Machines are taking over guys.... there's a £1,000,000 sequencing machine (in Exeter I believe) that does the work of 12 night shift staff on it's own. Letters/Flats and Door to Door Items are sorted/sequenced/bundled together before being issued to Delivery Offices :crazy:

Soon there will only be parcel prep in Delivery Hubs in the morning... you'll not need a prep frame as the mail will have been bundled up for you by the new "super machines". It's not hard to see where thousands of hours can be saved... and jobs will go. Probably thousands :thumbdown or :thumbup if you are a shareholder.

Anyone know any more about these machines ?

So imagine if all the letters and door to doors are all sorted and bundled together and then you get a full packet shroud for your walk to sort out. Do you really mean to tell me that parcel prep will entail unbundling the bundles that come in and then marking off where the parcels that need to be delivered within it? How does that make anything other than perfect sense? It would probably take you longer than it would than if it was in a frame. And what if there is someone new doing the duty? Er, which bundle is 'Cockburn street' in??
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

30hr contracts for all ????

Post by Dorset Plodder »

postslippete wrote:
So imagine if all the letters and door to doors are all sorted and bundled together and then you get a full packet shroud for your walk to sort out. Do you really mean to tell me that parcel prep will entail unbundling the bundles that come in and then marking off where the parcels that need to be delivered within it? How does that make anything other than perfect sense? It would probably take you longer than it would than if it was in a frame. And what if there is someone new doing the duty? Er, which bundle is 'Cockburn street' in??
I'm not even going to think about this stuff until it arrives. It's just mind boggling and was obviously suggested by people with absolutely NO UNDERSTANDING of how mail is delivered. They're just looking at ways of trying to save money.

Even as I'm throwing off I'm thinking, "Big Parcel for No 11... so I'll park outside and walk the loop from there......... Big Parcel for the end of the road....so I'll do that loop backwards etc etc". I find it prepares me for the days Delivery (which is NOT always delivered the same way). God Knows what it would be like if it just "Arrived" ready to go....apart from the little jobs you've mentioned.

At the moment I'm considering marking bundles to show there's a small parcel, or envelope,with a bloody 2d barcode hidden amongst it. As I don't carry the PDA ALL the time.....and sometimes get caught out half way around the loop when I find it. I expect the machine will do that for us though? :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Smir
Posts: 124
Joined: 31 Aug 2016, 16:48
Gender: Male

30hr contracts for all ????

Post by Smir »

Dorset Plodder wrote:I'm not even going to think about this stuff until it arrives. It's just mind boggling and was obviously suggested by people with absolutely NO UNDERSTANDING of how mail is delivered. They're just looking at ways of trying to save money.

Even as I'm throwing off I'm thinking, "Big Parcel for No 11... so I'll park outside and walk the loop from there......... Big Parcel for the end of the road....so I'll do that loop backwards etc etc". I find it prepares me for the days Delivery (which is NOT always delivered the same way). God Knows what it would be like if it just "Arrived" ready to go....apart from the little jobs you've mentioned.

At the moment I'm considering marking bundles to show there's a small parcel, or envelope,with a bloody 2d barcode hidden amongst it. As I don't carry the PDA ALL the time.....and sometimes get caught out half way around the loop when I find it. I expect the machine will do that for us though? :cuppa
agreed, most days my route is based on what specials I have, I have specials near the end of the delivery, I'll start there...

I've been working for RM for 6 months now, and 2 of those have been spent at another DO, because it's very understaffed, there's recently been a revision and before this it ran perfectly, no sickness etc, everything every day was done and completed people lapsed when needed, now they have taken 2 deliveries out, increase the bulk delivering who also did bag drops, and made it so all deliveries lapses and more every day, it's totally not working.

I've been working in this office for 2 months now, doing well over my 30 hour contract, and starting 6.30 when its a 30 minute drive, when my normal DO is a 5min drive!!


as for the 2d barcodes they are mental, it's so much to scan everyone, letters as well have these little bastards, I scanned 10 letters for one house and every barcode worked :S

I'm yet to see my 2d scan percentage at this other office, unsure how they would tell, as rounds are messed up at the moment.
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

30hr contracts for all ????

Post by BeamishStout »

Dorset Plodder wrote: Even as I'm throwing off I'm thinking, "Big Parcel for No 11... so I'll park outside and walk the loop from there......... Big Parcel for the end of the road....so I'll do that loop backwards etc etc". I find it prepares me for the days Delivery (which is NOT always delivered the same way).
Yes I do this as well :thumbup
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

30hr contracts for all ????

Post by Decky Boy »

postslippete wrote:So imagine if all the letters and door to doors are all sorted and bundled together and then you get a full packet shroud for your walk to sort out. Do you really mean to tell me that parcel prep will entail unbundling the bundles that come in and then marking off where the parcels that need to be delivered within it? How does that make anything other than perfect sense? It would probably take you longer than it would than if it was in a frame. And what if there is someone new doing the duty? Er, which bundle is 'Cockburn street' in??
Imagine 6 or 6.5 hour deliveries split in two with a 30 minute meal relief in the middle. Mostly all mail/flats and Door to Door items plus a few small packets (one or two for each loop)... 10 to 16 miles a day with plenty of climbing but virtually no attendance calls other than "Signed For" letters ?
So who will deliver all the Parcels I hear you ask ? With automation there'll be redundancies in mail centres. New Packet Duties will be created and staffed by our redundant brothers and sisters from processing. We won't need many mind you... as they too will be out on the street for 6 - 6.5 hours :shock: :crazy: :cry :cry

Let's hope the individual who suggested this to me was just retelling a bad dream.... I certainly hope so :nervous
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12200
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

30hr contracts for all ????

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Decky Boy wrote:
postslippete wrote:So imagine if all the letters and door to doors are all sorted and bundled together and then you get a full packet shroud for your walk to sort out. Do you really mean to tell me that parcel prep will entail unbundling the bundles that come in and then marking off where the parcels that need to be delivered within it? How does that make anything other than perfect sense? It would probably take you longer than it would than if it was in a frame. And what if there is someone new doing the duty? Er, which bundle is 'Cockburn street' in??
Imagine 6 or 6.5 hour deliveries split in two with a 30 minute meal relief in the middle. Mostly all mail/flats and Door to Door items plus a few small packets (one or two for each loop)... 10 to 16 miles a day with plenty of climbing but virtually no attendance calls other than "Signed For" letters ?
So who will deliver all the Parcels I hear you ask ? With automation there'll be redundancies in mail centres. New Packet Duties will be created and staffed by our redundant brothers and sisters from processing. We won't need many mind you... as they too will be out on the street for 6 - 6.5 hours :shock: :crazy: :cry :cry

Let's hope the individual who suggested this to me was just retelling a bad dream.... I certainly hope so :nervous
I wouldn't be surprised to see letter delivery made every other day. There's no guarantee that it won't eventually end up like Canada with everyone collecting their own mail from the local offices
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

30hr contracts for all ????

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Decky Boy wrote:
Imagine 6 or 6.5 hour deliveries split in two with a 30 minute meal relief in the middle.
It may surprise some Posties to learn that some of us are already on 6 1/4 hour Deliveries (including Meal relief) :shock: Obviously some Delivery Offices have been Luckier/More Sensible with their Revision, and perhaps their Deliveries are not as long? Yet other Members of this Forum worry when they're asked to do more indoor prep. You can't have your cake and eat it. If you've got shorter Outdoor Deliveries (which take up less of your day) then you're going to keep getting more Indoor Prep to fill those hours. It's not Rocket Science. :hmmmm
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
dam52
Posts: 23
Joined: 08 Jul 2017, 10:33
Gender: Male

30hr contracts for all ????

Post by dam52 »

Which mail centres are next in line to get a cells machine.(large letter sorter machine)
Will this cause job losses if so how?
Why has this not been mentioned in our work time learning or royal mail tv.
Why are they being quiet about it.
Hmmm!! Seems ominous to the employees of royal mail if they are being quiet about it.
Will Bristol get one?
ernieshoe
Posts: 117
Joined: 07 Dec 2016, 15:40
Gender: Male

30hr contracts for all ????

Post by ernieshoe »

South_London_Postie wrote:
citypostie wrote::evil/mad
aposter wrote:
rambo1 wrote:So if we went to 30hrs across the board, then would the linos and DOM's? As there'd be no need for them to be there any longer.
Got to be there for the late finishers, also what about locker personnel?

Of course they could do away with paid breaks, increase round length to 6 hours, and put in a 4 day week, p/t working less hours mon/tues and f/t working wd/th/fr/sat :left:
Change that to f/t mon-thur and P/t fri-sun and royal mail might get their way
HAhaha the full timers at it again trying to get the better end of a made up deal and shaft part timers with theoretical weekend work ! These same full timers who are gonna need us PT staff to help fight their pensions. Nice one mate :)
YEP
Another part time stitch up possibly on the way.
Full timers get a 35 hour week on 39 hours pay.
30 hour Part timers get 30 hours pay for 30 hours work on generally shittier rounds !
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16716
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

30hr contracts for all ????

Post by clashcityrocker »

ernieshoe wrote:
YEP
Another part time stitch up possibly on the way.
Full timers get a 35 hour week on 39 hours pay.
30 hour Part timers get 30 hours pay for 30 hours work on generally shittier rounds !
Every 1 hour reduction in the working week is approximately a 2.5% pay rise.
If we were to move to a 35 hour week with no loss of earnings, it would be approximately a 10% pay rise for p/t staff. In real money in your wages.
Where exactly is the stitch up?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
walkthewalk
Posts: 220
Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
Gender: Male

30hr contracts for all ????

Post by walkthewalk »

BeamishStout wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote: Even as I'm throwing off I'm thinking, "Big Parcel for No 11... so I'll park outside and walk the loop from there......... Big Parcel for the end of the road....so I'll do that loop backwards etc etc". I find it prepares me for the days Delivery (which is NOT always delivered the same way).
Yes I do this as well :thumbup
Me too :thumbup
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

30hr contracts for all ????

Post by Lounge Lizard »

walkthewalk wrote:
BeamishStout wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote: Even as I'm throwing off I'm thinking, "Big Parcel for No 11... so I'll park outside and walk the loop from there......... Big Parcel for the end of the road....so I'll do that loop backwards etc etc". I find it prepares me for the days Delivery (which is NOT always delivered the same way).
Yes I do this as well :thumbup
Me too :thumbup
Me too. :thumbup It'd be daft not to.