ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Signing for a rec on customers behalf?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
RedBagMan
Posts: 1010
Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male
Location: Behind the lens

Re: Signing for a rec on customers behalf?

Post by RedBagMan »

newtimes wrote:
BernardBresslaw wrote:I have a customer on one of my deliveries with no hands and he often gets recorded deliveries. If his carer isn't there what would you do when he answers the door? No I'm not asking him to hold the pen in his mouth.
I read some where, I think the PDA handbook, you can DNS (did not sign for) on the PDA if the person has not the ability to sign for it. Could someone confirm if this is right.
Yes ... I do it for my blind customers ... scribble DNS on PDA with my sig underneath ...
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
mr hil.
Posts: 425
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 18:22
Gender: Male

Re: Signing for a rec on customers behalf?

Post by mr hil. »

aposter wrote:
gary1975 wrote::no no the only thing you can sign for is a letter from the royal palace if nobody is home ie message from the queen. Had one last week.
Wrong, you can also sign (and open if required to facilitate delivery) parliamentary post (Specials) to mp's.
I am afraid your wrong, you can deliver the royal palace cards without a signature, it even states on the envelope that you can, the locker guys also have to confirm that the card has been received and will be delivered that day (by phone I think)
aposter
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 205
Joined: 23 Feb 2013, 16:21
Gender: Male

Re: Signing for a rec on customers behalf?

Post by aposter »

mr hil. wrote:
aposter wrote:
gary1975 wrote::no no the only thing you can sign for is a letter from the royal palace if nobody is home ie message from the queen. Had one last week.
Wrong, you can also sign (and open if required to facilitate delivery) parliamentary post (Specials) to mp's.
I am afraid your wrong, you can deliver the royal palace cards without a signature, it even states on the envelope that you can, the locker guys also have to confirm that the card has been received and will be delivered that day (by phone I think)
Never said you couldn't, I only said the op was wrong to state that they are the only thing................
mr hil.
Posts: 425
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 18:22
Gender: Male

Re: Signing for a rec on customers behalf?

Post by mr hil. »

Ooops sorry I misread your reply, I seem to have skipped the "ALSO" in your post :oops:
Zootsuit
Posts: 92
Joined: 07 Oct 2011, 19:49
Gender: Male

Re: Signing for a rec on customers behalf?

Post by Zootsuit »

There must be a definitive answer to what we do when we can't get a signature for legitimate reasons like disabilities etc.
I was told it was to write DWS (delivered without signature). I don't suppose it really matters if you are able to justify your actions but there has to be a formal procedure hasn't there?

Is anyone able to provide the proper answer? If not why not? Why aren't we told this stuff? Why do we have to operate on rumour and conjecture? If you haven't been taught the correct procedure how can you be disciplined for not following it?

Come on you workplaces coaches, someone must know what the procedure is!
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Signing for a rec on customers behalf?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Mighty Hunter wrote:There must be a definitive answer to what we do when we can't get a signature for legitimate reasons like disabilities etc.
I was told it was to write DWS (delivered without signature). I don't suppose it really matters if you are able to justify your actions but there has to be a formal procedure hasn't there?

Is anyone able to provide the proper answer? If not why not? Why aren't we told this stuff? Why do we have to operate on rumour and conjecture? If you haven't been taught the correct procedure how can you be disciplined for not following it?

Come on you workplaces coaches, someone must know what the procedure is!
Read your PDA manual, page 22

Customers who cannot sign due to disability

1 ask if anyone else at the property can sign

2 if not ask them to provide a mark in the signature box and put correct name and you put name as M A R - marked as received in the signature box also

3 If not able to make mark you then enter D W S - delivered without signature, with the correct person recieving items name
Zootsuit
Posts: 92
Joined: 07 Oct 2011, 19:49
Gender: Male

Re: Signing for a rec on customers behalf?

Post by Zootsuit »

Read your PDA manual, page 22
I'm tempted to say something rude zx135, if I had a PDA manual I wouldn't have to ask the question would I?
I am grateful for the sensible part of your reply though, at least I know the answer now, and so some others who obviously haven't read the PDA manual either.

On the PDA manual. I have never seen one let alone own one. I have never even been properly told how to use the PDA, I've just had to pick stuff up as I've gone along. I've asked about the PDA manual, I've tried to find it online. Trust me, if I had a manual I'd have read it. Where DO I get one?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72766
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Signing for a rec on customers behalf?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Mighty Hunter wrote: Where DO I get one?
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=52224" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :Very Happy
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.