ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

royal mail has become a hell hole..

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Foxel
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 514
Joined: 04 Oct 2021, 21:20
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail has become a hell hole..

Post by Foxel »

Yes, my name is mud at the minute because I failed to complete two days of mail and parcels. The person in the next day just ignored what I brought back and I'm to blame. Not that I'm bothered what they think.

I will only work what I'm comfortable with but it isn't always easy when sharing on a round they routinely go over with and are happy with it. Also being on probation doesn't help when standing up for yourself.
I'm turning purple!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail has become a hell hole..

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Foxel wrote: ↑
18 Nov 2021, 18:48
Also being on probation doesn't help when standing up for yourself.


I hear what you're saying Foxhel. I'm glad you're standing up for yourself. :thumbup

On the upside I've never known ANYONE to be let go after their probabtion period .... we haven't got enough staff to start getting choosey (no disrespect). :cuppa
Last edited by Dorset Plodder on 18 Nov 2021, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail has become a hell hole..

Post by rambo1 »

Foxel wrote: ↑
18 Nov 2021, 18:48
Yes, my name is mud at the minute because I failed to complete two days of mail and parcels. The person in the next day just ignored what I brought back and I'm to blame. Not that I'm bothered what they think.

I will only work what I'm comfortable with but it isn't always easy when sharing on a round they routinely go over with and are happy with it. Also being on probation doesn't help when standing up for yourself.
I'd like to say well done too. Start as you mean to go on. Don't get walked over. Most reasonable people would understand if the cover didn't complete on their day off. I certainly would, as long as they haven't absolutely took the pxxs.
Kenfandango
Posts: 694
Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 16:40
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail has become a hell hole..

Post by Kenfandango »

Where I am, newbies are told regularly that "we'll be letting you go within 6 weeks."
Whilst advertising for more posties, and in front of other people who have been told the same thing for 18 months yet are still working.

Also for some reason, the people down to start earliest are the routes closest to the depot. Those of us with a 40-60 minute round trip to our routes start latest. This makes no sense
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail has become a hell hole..

Post by rambo1 »

Kenfandango wrote: ↑
18 Nov 2021, 20:15
Where I am, newbies are told regularly that "we'll be letting you go within 6 weeks."
Whilst advertising for more posties, and in front of other people who have been told the same thing for 18 months yet are still working.

Also for some reason, the people down to start earliest are the routes closest to the depot. Those of us with a 40-60 minute round trip to our routes start latest. This makes no sense
Nothing in this company makes any sense.
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: royal mail has become a hell hole..

Post by mjd24 »

Jahpostie wrote: ↑
18 Nov 2021, 18:40
Some on here need to understand the pressure to complete from Management and colleagues when you are a reserve or floater. It is p*ss easy to work to your time if you're a full timer with a partner who thinks the same.

I've been aggressively shouted at by other posties for not completing on their days off. It's not pleasant.

So please stop the mantra of work to your time. It doesn't work well for reserves and floaters. It's not simple. RM have engineered it this way - turning posties against each other to get the mail out.
I understand that totally and its been the worst thing about my 14 years so far with Royal Mail. But it’s important to inform newbies that they don't HAVE to work over their time, because i think some genuinely don't know that it is ok to just work to your time, even if you don’t deliver everything.
blacov
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail has become a hell hole..

Post by blacov »

Jahpostie wrote: ↑
18 Nov 2021, 18:40
Some on here need to understand the pressure to complete from Management and colleagues when you are a reserve or floater. It is p*ss easy to work to your time if you're a full timer with a partner who thinks the same.

I've been aggressively shouted at by other posties for not completing on their days off. It's not pleasant.

So please stop the mantra of work to your time. It doesn't work well for reserves and floaters. It's not simple. RM have engineered it this way - turning posties against each other to get the mail out.

This is again an office specific. I can imagine people are expected to complete even though it means staying out. At my place no other postie will ever abuse his colleague for not completing his walk. Unless a person is known to take the piss notoriously but in this case it's rather communicated to a manager. Often walk goes out with an agreed deal or if this fails as duty holder doesn't want to stay out then overtime kings are hired :dance
Nickvilla20
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 May 2013, 07:30
Gender: Male

Re: royal mail has become a hell hole..

Post by Nickvilla20 »

I’ve recently moved offices my previous off is run completely different to my previous one. My former office nobody came in early but a lot more rounds weren’t going out. The new office seems to clear everything most days but it seems 90% of the office is coming in an hour early. Either way both models are bad. Previous office no lasping this office you basically get an extra loop of lapsing meaning you can’t get done. I can really see why people quit within weeks.