ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Ring Bells..........Do You

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by Darren Bent »

I don't press those bell as I can't hear it and doesn't want recording. So I ignore it. And stick to knocking or old fashioned door bell.
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by Murdoch »

chickenwittle wrote: THIS , it’s no big deal some people need to move with the times .
As I've eluded to, the problem isn't the technology, it's who controls the data and how it's used. And the matter of consent, of which there is none.

There's absolutely no reason that these doorbells need to upload the data to the servers of big tech giants, or run on US or Chinese servers (in some instances), yet they do and they want to charge you for the privilege.

You could have all the functionality running on a home server, with everything saved locally.

But like I said, the types of people that own these things don't care. They post their lives on Facebook 24/7. And are too ignorant to consider the data they give away for free.
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by Stormproof »

I've got a Ring doorbell. They react to motion and start recording whether you press it or not. Only bought it because of the old w@nker next door is a PITA and wanted video/sound evidence if he kicks off.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Stormproof wrote:I've got a Ring doorbell. They react to motion and start recording whether you press it or not. Only bought it because of the old w@nker next door is a PITA and wanted video/sound evidence if he kicks off.
Do they have a built in DVR or does an external one have to be connected?
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by LaggyBand »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Stormproof wrote:I've got a Ring doorbell. They react to motion and start recording whether you press it or not. Only bought it because of the old w@nker next door is a PITA and wanted video/sound evidence if he kicks off.
Do they have a built in DVR or does an external one have to be connected?
Cloud I imagine
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by Murdoch »

SpacePhoenix wrote:Do they have a built in DVR or does an external one have to be connected?
Ring Doorbells are owned by Amazon, everything is uploaded to their servers. And that has a specific purpose, these 1st / 2nd gen basic models are just the beginning, controlling the front door of a "smart-home" is going to be extremely lucrative.

Already in the US, Amazon has trailed a smart door lock, which allows entry to their own Amazon couriers (self employed gig economy workers, directed by an app no doubt). Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kbFfGrGm_Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're also filing many patents surrounding facial recognition, and there's been reports they're looking to create "suspicious persons" databases.

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazons-ring- ... doorbells/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by Jpro747 »

Imagine spending £179 on a doorbell and no one uses it :left: :left: :left:
Mr Rush
Posts: 3357
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by Mr Rush »

A technological solution that doesn't solve the actual problem: you're not in for your packet.

I first heard about these in this Techmoan video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VvTzmp08OE before I started seeing them appearing on doors. My experience matches the muppet's. I don't bother with them now.
The machine stops.
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by Murdoch »

Mr Rush wrote:A technological solution that doesn't solve the actual problem: you're not in for your packet.
Yepp, that's because that's not what they're designed for.

They're designed to normalise the idea that Amazon should be involved in informing you who's at the front door. And to get people comfortable with giving amazon control and use of that data.
yubin282
Posts: 994
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by yubin282 »

whoever came up with the idea must be one hell of a salesman, absolute waste of time and money.

answer the bell just to tell you there not in, yeah i know.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by SpacePhoenix »

If there's not already someone is bound to bring one out that saves the video to a local DVR instead
Edward Hunter
Posts: 680
Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by Edward Hunter »

Dont use them but today, at a house, rang the normal bell and she answered using the ring one! Sneaky, lol
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by LaggyBand »

Murdoch wrote:
Mr Rush wrote:A technological solution that doesn't solve the actual problem: you're not in for your packet.
Yepp, that's because that's not what they're designed for.

They're designed to normalise the idea that Amazon should be involved in informing you who's at the front door. And to get people comfortable with giving amazon control and use of that data.
It’s true, it’s a stepping stone to delivering items into your hall during a ten second window before the guy has to get out again.

Most people think it’s a crazy idea but as soon as a few people start to do it it’ll catch on.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I listened to an interesting article concerning all these "Smart" Home Gadgets, for people that can't find anything better to spend their money on. The problem occured in the US... Not with the gadgets but with the support service. After so many years the Company providing the support for all these automatically operated Curtains... Lights... Heating..etc just withdrew their support. I believe it was for financial reasons. The upshot was nobody could get any of their gadgets to work. :Boo hoo!

I'm a bit of a Luddite where these things are concerned, and would never buy the bloody things in the first place. We're told all the time that the Technology never goes wrong.... yeah right! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Ring Bells..........Do You

Post by nickbsmooth »

I had a parcel for a customer who has one of these Ring CCTV door bells. The customer started to talk to me before I'd rung the damn thing he was at work.
However this guy had everything sorted. 'Just put it in the garage Mate, I'll open the door for you' then the garage door automatically opened and I put the parcel in there . I was quite impressed.