ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Ring Bells..........Do You
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Ring Bells..........Do You
I don't press those bell as I can't hear it and doesn't want recording. So I ignore it. And stick to knocking or old fashioned door bell.
-
Murdoch
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 572
- Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Ring Bells..........Do You
As I've eluded to, the problem isn't the technology, it's who controls the data and how it's used. And the matter of consent, of which there is none.chickenwittle wrote: THIS , it’s no big deal some people need to move with the times .
There's absolutely no reason that these doorbells need to upload the data to the servers of big tech giants, or run on US or Chinese servers (in some instances), yet they do and they want to charge you for the privilege.
You could have all the functionality running on a home server, with everything saved locally.
But like I said, the types of people that own these things don't care. They post their lives on Facebook 24/7. And are too ignorant to consider the data they give away for free.
-
Stormproof
- Posts: 6116
- Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Ring Bells..........Do You
I've got a Ring doorbell. They react to motion and start recording whether you press it or not. Only bought it because of the old w@nker next door is a PITA and wanted video/sound evidence if he kicks off.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12196
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Ring Bells..........Do You
Do they have a built in DVR or does an external one have to be connected?Stormproof wrote:I've got a Ring doorbell. They react to motion and start recording whether you press it or not. Only bought it because of the old w@nker next door is a PITA and wanted video/sound evidence if he kicks off.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Ring Bells..........Do You
Cloud I imagineSpacePhoenix wrote:Do they have a built in DVR or does an external one have to be connected?Stormproof wrote:I've got a Ring doorbell. They react to motion and start recording whether you press it or not. Only bought it because of the old w@nker next door is a PITA and wanted video/sound evidence if he kicks off.
-
Murdoch
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 572
- Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Ring Bells..........Do You
Ring Doorbells are owned by Amazon, everything is uploaded to their servers. And that has a specific purpose, these 1st / 2nd gen basic models are just the beginning, controlling the front door of a "smart-home" is going to be extremely lucrative.SpacePhoenix wrote:Do they have a built in DVR or does an external one have to be connected?
Already in the US, Amazon has trailed a smart door lock, which allows entry to their own Amazon couriers (self employed gig economy workers, directed by an app no doubt). Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kbFfGrGm_Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They're also filing many patents surrounding facial recognition, and there's been reports they're looking to create "suspicious persons" databases.
https://www.cnet.com/news/amazons-ring- ... doorbells/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Ring Bells..........Do You
Imagine spending £179 on a doorbell and no one uses it

-
Mr Rush
- Posts: 3357
- Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
- Gender: Male
Ring Bells..........Do You
A technological solution that doesn't solve the actual problem: you're not in for your packet.
I first heard about these in this Techmoan video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VvTzmp08OE before I started seeing them appearing on doors. My experience matches the muppet's. I don't bother with them now.
I first heard about these in this Techmoan video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VvTzmp08OE before I started seeing them appearing on doors. My experience matches the muppet's. I don't bother with them now.
The machine stops.
-
Murdoch
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 572
- Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Ring Bells..........Do You
Yepp, that's because that's not what they're designed for.Mr Rush wrote:A technological solution that doesn't solve the actual problem: you're not in for your packet.
They're designed to normalise the idea that Amazon should be involved in informing you who's at the front door. And to get people comfortable with giving amazon control and use of that data.
-
yubin282
- Posts: 994
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
- Gender: Male
Ring Bells..........Do You
whoever came up with the idea must be one hell of a salesman, absolute waste of time and money.
answer the bell just to tell you there not in, yeah i know.
answer the bell just to tell you there not in, yeah i know.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12196
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Ring Bells..........Do You
If there's not already someone is bound to bring one out that saves the video to a local DVR instead
-
Edward Hunter
- Posts: 680
- Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30
Ring Bells..........Do You
Dont use them but today, at a house, rang the normal bell and she answered using the ring one! Sneaky, lol
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Ring Bells..........Do You
It’s true, it’s a stepping stone to delivering items into your hall during a ten second window before the guy has to get out again.Murdoch wrote:Yepp, that's because that's not what they're designed for.Mr Rush wrote:A technological solution that doesn't solve the actual problem: you're not in for your packet.
They're designed to normalise the idea that Amazon should be involved in informing you who's at the front door. And to get people comfortable with giving amazon control and use of that data.
Most people think it’s a crazy idea but as soon as a few people start to do it it’ll catch on.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Ring Bells..........Do You
I listened to an interesting article concerning all these "Smart" Home Gadgets, for people that can't find anything better to spend their money on. The problem occured in the US... Not with the gadgets but with the support service. After so many years the Company providing the support for all these automatically operated Curtains... Lights... Heating..etc just withdrew their support. I believe it was for financial reasons. The upshot was nobody could get any of their gadgets to work.
I'm a bit of a Luddite where these things are concerned, and would never buy the bloody things in the first place. We're told all the time that the Technology never goes wrong.... yeah right!
I'm a bit of a Luddite where these things are concerned, and would never buy the bloody things in the first place. We're told all the time that the Technology never goes wrong.... yeah right!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
nickbsmooth
- Posts: 279
- Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
- Gender: Male
- Location: South East
Ring Bells..........Do You
I had a parcel for a customer who has one of these Ring CCTV door bells. The customer started to talk to me before I'd rung the damn thing he was at work.
However this guy had everything sorted. 'Just put it in the garage Mate, I'll open the door for you' then the garage door automatically opened and I put the parcel in there . I was quite impressed.
However this guy had everything sorted. 'Just put it in the garage Mate, I'll open the door for you' then the garage door automatically opened and I put the parcel in there . I was quite impressed.