ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Share price

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Share price

Post by dvbuk55 »

Oh dear if only I hadn't been so principled I could have increased my tiny ........nest egg. Story of my life really :chuckle
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Share price

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Let me know what their value is the day before we're allowed to sell them! Until then please don't keep going on about them. :pray You've been given the relevant sites to check.

For all we know half of us may not be here when we're allowed to. Remember you must not have left, or been sacked, from Royal Mail in order to keep your free shares! :whistle
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
hantsman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 876
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 09:33
Gender: Male

Re: Share price

Post by hantsman »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Let me know what their value is the day before we're allowed to sell them! Until then please don't keep going on about them. :pray You've been given the relevant sites to check.

For all we know half of us may not be here when we're allowed to. Remember you must not have left, or been sacked, from Royal Mail in order to keep your free shares! :whistle

Hope you brought the full £10,000 that you were allowed.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Share price

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Ha Ha Hantsman I like your sense of humour. :Very Happy Yes.. like most Postman I know, I'm just an eccentric millionaire, £10,000 is just small change to the likes of us. I only spend so much time walking around in the wind & rain because I find it so relaxing after my high pressure job in the city. :whistle
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Share price

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

hantsman wrote:I fully support the strike, I just hope posties bought as many as they could afford.
Could have had the full allocation.
Didn't buy a single one.
Nor do I regret it.
It would have been hypocritical of me to do so.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
banner18
Posts: 636
Joined: 05 Sep 2008, 19:10
Gender: Male

Re: Share price

Post by banner18 »

In a few years the price will rise again due to attacks on employee terms and conditions. A little while after they will rise again due to a reduction in service once the USO has been changed in law. I wouldn't be surprised if they are over £10 a share by then.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Share price

Post by aiden01 »

what price oct 2016 when we will have to pay tax and ni or oct 2018 when we cash in w.o. tax or n.i. prob less than a pound :sad:
hantsman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 876
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 09:33
Gender: Male

Re: Share price

Post by hantsman »

aiden01 wrote:what price oct 2016 when we will have to pay tax and ni or oct 2018 when we cash in w.o. tax or n.i. prob less than a pound :sad:
You wont pay tax or NI if your under the threshold set by the Inland Revenue.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6703
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: Share price

Post by RobertT »

hantsman wrote:
aiden01 wrote:You wont pay tax or NI if your under the threshold set by the Inland Revenue.
Which is currently £9,440 or £9,560 factoring in the uniform cleaning allowance, so if you earn more than those amounts including whatever the shares are worth, you will pay tax & NI.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
hantsman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 876
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 09:33
Gender: Male

Re: Share price

Post by hantsman »

RobertT wrote:
hantsman wrote:
aiden01 wrote:You wont pay tax or NI if your under the threshold set by the Inland Revenue.
Which is currently £9,440 or £9,560 factoring in the uniform cleaning allowance, so if you earn more than those amounts including whatever the shares are worth, you will pay tax & NI.

No your not correct,

Thats for earnings not share profits which can be subject to capital gains tax.


http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/working/bens-sha ... chemes.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hantsman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 876
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 09:33
Gender: Male

Re: Share price

Post by hantsman »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:
hantsman wrote:I fully support the strike, I just hope posties bought as many as they could afford.
Could have had the full allocation.
Didn't buy a single one.
Nor do I regret it.
It would have been hypocritical of me to do so.
Fully understand your point of view, shame though because RM directors could buy more.
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: Share price

Post by stokes11eg »

dvbuk55 wrote:Oh dear if only I hadn't been so principled I could have increased my tiny ........nest egg. Story of my life really :chuckle
:Very Happy Aye, I like a man with principles. looks like a lot of posties have £ signs in their eyse! But they haven't actually go anything in their hands---yet. Just wait until the certificates come through, and see all the obstacles they will be full of.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Share price

Post by dvbuk55 »

stokes11eg wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:Oh dear if only I hadn't been so principled I could have increased my tiny ........nest egg. Story of my life really :chuckle
:Very Happy Aye, I like a man with principles. looks like a lot of posties have £ signs in their eyse! But they haven't actually go anything in their hands---yet. Just wait until the certificates come through, and see all the obstacles they will be full of.
Dunno why people are counting the shekels yet, our issue can only be cashed in three years from now at the earliest
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6703
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: Share price

Post by RobertT »

hantsman wrote:
RobertT wrote:
hantsman wrote:
aiden01 wrote:You wont pay tax or NI if your under the threshold set by the Inland Revenue.
Which is currently £9,440 or £9,560 factoring in the uniform cleaning allowance, so if you earn more than those amounts including whatever the shares are worth, you will pay tax & NI.
No your not correct,

Thats for earnings not share profits which can be subject to capital gains tax.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/working/bens-sha ... chemes.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I should have worded it better. Income tax and NI are potentially payable if you sell the shares between 3 & 5 years as they will effectively be part of your pay. The Personal Tax Allowance will therefore apply - currently £9,440 / £9,560 - everything earned over that is taxable.

If you hold onto the shares until the end of the 5 year SIP cycle then no tax or NI is payable. No CGT is payable either because they are held in a SIP! If they were'nt in a SIP then CGT would potentially be payable depending on how much the shares grow or any other CGT liabilities you may have in that tax year.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
LinChong
Posts: 229
Joined: 27 Sep 2012, 09:07
Gender: Male

Re: Share price

Post by LinChong »

Before 3 years are up the share price will drop through the floor and the next Government will have to re-nationalise Royal Mail like they had to re-nationalise Railtrack. Anyone investors who don't sell now while the price is high will lose out. All the people in the know have already sold. It's only the mugs who hold the shares now. :Boo hoo!