ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

special delivery

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by chrisj »

Grinder64 wrote:
chrisj wrote:
The problem is that some people like to collect their Special before leaving and then incorporate the specials (esp letters) into the mail. There is always going to be a risk that it might be delivered even if the letter was turned or marked with pen; with the amount of d2ds and/or sheers numbers of letters in some cases, it is easy to miss 'a special' in that way.
Myself & my loop partner always place a blank P739 card in front of the registered item if it's small enough to be incorporated into a bundle; same with tracked/recorded/signed for items that don't necessarily have the orange flash to alert you that the item requires a signature. Simple but effective :wink: .
I use the same system that you mentioned above when I work with folks (usually FT and long-term posties) that collect the Specials&Tracked and bring it to be incorporated into the mail.

Some people cannot be told or asked to do something that is SIMPLE and reasonable. The people I work with tends to ridicule the use of the P739 as a marker and visible clue... Some always takes the 'mick' when you ask them to turn or mark for the packets. It takes a few seconds and saves time afterwards but some claims its for beginners :roll:

I like to collect my Specials last and on the way out. I suppose that should be the standard because Special might go missing (even stolen) if put in general mail before bagging up.

Anyways, the problem is that people will not do the reasonable thing or even follow guidelines - some always know better... :whistle
Dumpys Rusty Nuts
Posts: 180
Joined: 15 May 2011, 21:50
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by Dumpys Rusty Nuts »

by chrisj » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:13 pm

I think I get it! It was a letter on your partner's walk.round but it was on a loop that you deliver (regularly). The fault is still yours for delivering it.

The problem is that some people like to collect their Special before leaving and then incorporate the specials (esp letters) into the mail. There is always going to be a risk that it might be delivered even if the letter was turned or marked with pen; with the amount of d2ds and/or sheers numbers of letters in some cases, it is easy to miss 'a special' in that way.

For me, the problem is working with other people that choose to do things the wrong way (IMO). Specials and Tracks should always be separated and worked from a tray/box as you go along. Given that you are likely going to be delivering someone else's prepped mail, it is easy to miss things. In some cases, it is forgetting that a special letter is there until way past 1.00pm.

I work with some oldies that seems to do this - annoying but we all have to work together...
Chris j, you are Mr Perfect, you obviously never make mistakes,it must be so hard working with the OLDIES, ever smelt coffee
andypandy_750
Posts: 9
Joined: 06 Jul 2011, 00:16
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by andypandy_750 »

Thank you for all your replies.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by chrisj »

Dumpsy. your reply is the usual and typical response. Ask a partner to, please turn or mark for the packets, you get a reply, I don't mark for packets! Its not about them and it only takes a few minutes. Instead they want to tell me what packets I have as if I am going to try to memorise the packets placings (never happens with a fellow part-time; not at my place)

Where is being perfect mentioned. If someone has a good idea and one that avoids mistakes, why not adopt it... Your kinda of response is exactly the reason why I keep mentioning oldies. Some will never change or adopt - even the simplest things.

I am not perfect. I just try to do the job properly and avoid unnecessary mistakes.

Someone suggested the use of the Red Cards to mark packets, I adopted it cos I think it is a good idea; regardless of how long the person had been at RM. Simples!
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: special delivery

Post by arnold cheshire »

andypandy_750 wrote:Thank you for all your replies.
what happened then ?
Anonymouse
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by Anonymouse »

I did this before but nothing came of it. Told the manager when i got back but he said it was fine and that was that.
I even wrote out a p739 and put both the slip and SD letter through the door :crazy:
andypandy_750
Posts: 9
Joined: 06 Jul 2011, 00:16
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by andypandy_750 »

I was told it would be fine unless the customer complained,if they do it will be a warning.
north london driver
Posts: 560
Joined: 18 Aug 2010, 21:51
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by north london driver »

andypandy_750 wrote:I was told it would be fine unless the customer complained,if they do it will be a warning.
all these new ideas on registered, bring back the pink slips you could not beat them.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: special delivery

Post by krussel »

north london driver wrote:
andypandy_750 wrote:I was told it would be fine unless the customer complained,if they do it will be a warning.
all these new ideas on registered, bring back the pink slips you could not beat them.

Yeah those were the days :Very Happy till it rained of course and then you handed in a mass of pulp :Very Happy :d'oh!
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
north london driver
Posts: 560
Joined: 18 Aug 2010, 21:51
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by north london driver »

krussel wrote:
north london driver wrote:
andypandy_750 wrote:I was told it would be fine unless the customer complained,if they do it will be a warning.
all these new ideas on registered, bring back the pink slips you could not beat them.

Yeah those were the days :Very Happy till it rained of course and then you handed in a mass of pulp :Very Happy :d'oh!
or the orange books for the recordeds + the data post paperwork never gave the right copys to the p.h.g or customer ( bloody drivers).
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by Barbel »

The driver I'm with at the moment isn't fussed or in any rush to get a special delivered by 1. If it is late he doesn't scan in on the PDA and gets them to sign a slip instead. Yet other drivers I've been with make a point of delivering it before 1 if we know we're not going to get to that address in time. I don't feel comfortable with delivering them past 1 if I've signed for it, but as I'm not the driver and I'm fairly new I don't feel I can really argue with him.
Zootsuit
Posts: 92
Joined: 07 Oct 2011, 19:49
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by Zootsuit »

The customer has paid for guaranteed delivery by 1300. If not delivered by 1300 the customer can make a financial claim against Royal Mail.

Why don't we just do what we are supposed to do? If the person who signed for the special had to pay the compensation for late delivery the specials would be delivered on time so why not do it properly all the time? It might be difficult on occasion but it can be done.

Don't be a lazy unprofessional slob - do your job!
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: special delivery

Post by Lincox »

I do agree that specials should be delivered by 1pm. However Royal Mail do nothing to assist by changing start times, making it very difficult if not impossible if you have specials at each end of the delivery if you have not had a delivery methods change.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16730
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: special delivery

Post by clashcityrocker »

Lincox wrote:I do agree that specials should be delivered by 1pm. However Royal Mail do nothing to assist by changing start times, making it very difficult if not impossible if you have specials at each end of the delivery if you have not had a delivery methods change.
Don't you just hand them back to the locker and tell them you won't be there by 1pm.
And then they go with a driver.
If offices are routinely failing them, at some point someone is going to get their baws booted.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.