ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Delivery To Neighbour

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
london sub
Posts: 397
Joined: 29 Jan 2009, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Delivery To Neighbour

Post by london sub »

Out on delivery today and went to six doors to find someone that would take a packet off me to give to a neighbour. This wasted 5 mins on just 1 packet, thankfully it wasn't a busy day or i would be fuming.

The point i am trying to make is if it takes 5 mins for one packet imagine the rest of the items you can't deliver you would be over your time practically every day. It only works if you know whos in and whos out and know exactly which neighbour to leave it with. For that to happen you have to be on a walk for a number of weeks possibly months, no good if your a floater.

The only reason why this has been rolled out is to save money. How you may ask?

You have two people in a callers office that are full time dealing with customers on a daily basis. Now by leaving items with a neighbour this saves time for the customer by not waiting in a queue to collect their item, resulting in one person in the callers office not doing very much. This could go many ways of cost cutting within the callers office depending on how many posties use the system and how much time they will have also. Either way their contract gets slashed or a job loss.
S6 Stroller
Posts: 199
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 23:00
Gender: Male

Re: Delivery To Neighbour

Post by S6 Stroller »

cow post wrote:Out on delivery today and went to six doors to find someone that would take a packet off me to give to a neighbour. This wasted 5 mins on just 1 packet, thankfully it wasn't a busy day or i would be fuming.

The point i am trying to make is if it takes 5 mins for one packet imagine the rest of the items you can't deliver you would be over your time practically every day. It only works if you know whos in and whos out and know exactly which neighbour to leave it with. For that to happen you have to be on a walk for a number of weeks possibly months, no good if your a floater.

The only reason why this has been rolled out is to save money. How you may ask?

You have two people in a callers office that are full time dealing with customers on a daily basis. Now by leaving items with a neighbour this saves time for the customer by not waiting in a queue to collect their item, resulting in one person in the callers office not doing very much. This could go many ways of cost cutting within the callers office depending on how many posties use the system and how much time they will have also. Either way their contract gets slashed or a job loss.
No. It's definitely been brought in for the convenience of our customers. Without a doubt. What could be more convenient than being informed about something this important via a D2D item that probably didn't get read anyway. I bet they were banking on that happening, therefore lowering the amount of opt outs. See also the phone line or online opt out options. Seriously, how many people were going to be arsed to do that? Judging by the one solitary sticker I've seen over the last 6 weeks, not many.

I can't believe how arrogant RM are. This really is a disgrace. What do I want for Christmas? Unofficial walkouts, total meltdown...and a new job. You got to have dreams :wink:
MGB
Posts: 107
Joined: 21 Jan 2012, 20:21
Gender: Male

Re: Delivery To Neighbour

Post by MGB »

S6 Stroller wrote:
cow post wrote:Out on delivery today and went to six doors to find someone that would take a packet off me to give to a neighbour. This wasted 5 mins on just 1 packet, thankfully it wasn't a busy day or i would be fuming.

The point i am trying to make is if it takes 5 mins for one packet imagine the rest of the items you can't deliver you would be over your time practically every day. It only works if you know whos in and whos out and know exactly which neighbour to leave it with. For that to happen you have to be on a walk for a number of weeks possibly months, no good if your a floater.

The only reason why this has been rolled out is to save money. How you may ask?

You have two people in a callers office that are full time dealing with customers on a daily basis. Now by leaving items with a neighbour this saves time for the customer by not waiting in a queue to collect their item, resulting in one person in the callers office not doing very much. This could go many ways of cost cutting within the callers office depending on how many posties use the system and how much time they will have also. Either way their contract gets slashed or a job loss.
No. It's definitely been brought in for the convenience of our customers. Without a doubt. What could be more convenient than being informed about something this important via a D2D item that probably didn't get read anyway. I bet they were banking on that happening, therefore lowering the amount of opt outs. See also the phone line or online opt out options. Seriously, how many people were going to be arsed to do that? Judging by the one solitary sticker I've seen over the last 6 weeks, not many.

I can't believe how arrogant RM are. This really is a disgrace. What do I want for Christmas? Unofficial walkouts, total meltdown...and a new job. You got to have dreams :wink:
As a customer, I never got the D2D. I only knew to opt out via here.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Delivery To Neighbour

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

matthewbutler wrote: As a customer, I never got the D2D. I only knew to opt out via here.
You may have got it and not realised - it wasn't that eye catching - this is the trial one, but the roll out one wasn't that different.

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Delivery To Neighbour

Post by dvbuk55 »

:shock: must have been the one I threw in the bin when I saw ROYAL MAIL assuming it was simply more crap............well looks like I was right. The fault with the system is the solitary option of leaving with a neighbour. Now if we were to be allowed to leave it in a safe place at the customers property we would actually gain a benefit from it.
bigcol
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
Gender: Male
Location: Officially the worst DO

Re: Delivery To Neighbour

Post by bigcol »

dvbuk55 wrote:Now if we were to be allowed to leave it in a safe place at the customers property we would actually gain a benefit from it.
I think you mean an unsafe place. :hmmmm :no no
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Delivery To Neighbour

Post by dvbuk55 »

bigcol wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:Now if we were to be allowed to leave it in a safe place at the customers property we would actually gain a benefit from it.
I think you mean an unsafe place. :hmmmm :no no
That is merely having a level playing, others do it and must presumably the same way that we have in the past.
S6 Stroller
Posts: 199
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 23:00
Gender: Male

Re: Delivery To Neighbour

Post by S6 Stroller »

dvbuk55 wrote:
bigcol wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:Now if we were to be allowed to leave it in a safe place at the customers property we would actually gain a benefit from it.
I think you mean an unsafe place. :hmmmm :no no
That is merely having a level playing, others do it and must presumably the same way that we have in the past.
Nah. Out of the question. Leaving stuff in a 'safeplace' (unless it's lockable) is not on, as far as I'm concerned. When I see stuff being left on the doorstep by our competitors it makes my blood boil.
Fishyfingers
Posts: 162
Joined: 05 Jan 2007, 22:04
Location: Highland

Re: Delivery To Neighbour

Post by Fishyfingers »

I did my first leave with a neighbour today only cos the bloke was in his garden,i felt really awkward asking him.He was took it ok.I will not be knocking on folks doors trying to get rid of packets.
skull
Posts: 450
Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: Delivery To Neighbour

Post by skull »

The "do not deliver to neighbour " stickers on customers windows are already fading. I'm playing it safe and returning all undelivered customer packets to the office. :wink:
RTP
Posts: 863
Joined: 22 Apr 2011, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Delivery To Neighbour

Post by RTP »

Please remember, that's just items we can't fit through the letterbox
What about small tracked items that need signing for and can fit through the letterbox?
What about small recorded items that need signing for and can fit through the letterbox. A letter for example?
Can a neighbour sign for these as well?
japitts
Posts: 20
Joined: 07 Dec 2010, 14:32
Gender: Male

Re: Delivery To Neighbour

Post by japitts »

skull wrote:The "do not deliver to neighbour " stickers on customers windows are already fading. I'm playing it safe and returning all undelivered customer packets to the office. :wink:
I've requested a sticker from the RM website twice now - the first request exactly a fortnight ago. RM deliberately delaying them, or inundated?

(Yes I know this is an unofficial site)
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Delivery To Neighbour

Post by DGP1 »

japitts wrote:
skull wrote:The "do not deliver to neighbour " stickers on customers windows are already fading. I'm playing it safe and returning all undelivered customer packets to the office. :wink:
I've requested a sticker from the RM website twice now - the first request exactly a fortnight ago. RM deliberately delaying them, or inundated?

(Yes I know this is an unofficial site)
Probably inundated, RM don't have the smarts to do it deliberately :wink:

Just say to your postie that you don't want it delivered to your neighbour (although most of us aren't doing it because of the time involved and the hassle).
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Delivery To Neighbour

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

I had a resident come up to me and apologise for having the label, he was most surprised when I said "No need to apologise, it makes my job easier" - Gobsmacked I think was the appropriate comment for the look on his face.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Delivery To Neighbour

Post by Stormproof »

I thanked one of my customers for displaying the opt out sticker, he said he thought I was going to have a go at him about it :crazy:
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum