ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Delivery To Neighbour
-
london sub
- Posts: 397
- Joined: 29 Jan 2009, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery To Neighbour
Out on delivery today and went to six doors to find someone that would take a packet off me to give to a neighbour. This wasted 5 mins on just 1 packet, thankfully it wasn't a busy day or i would be fuming.
The point i am trying to make is if it takes 5 mins for one packet imagine the rest of the items you can't deliver you would be over your time practically every day. It only works if you know whos in and whos out and know exactly which neighbour to leave it with. For that to happen you have to be on a walk for a number of weeks possibly months, no good if your a floater.
The only reason why this has been rolled out is to save money. How you may ask?
You have two people in a callers office that are full time dealing with customers on a daily basis. Now by leaving items with a neighbour this saves time for the customer by not waiting in a queue to collect their item, resulting in one person in the callers office not doing very much. This could go many ways of cost cutting within the callers office depending on how many posties use the system and how much time they will have also. Either way their contract gets slashed or a job loss.
The point i am trying to make is if it takes 5 mins for one packet imagine the rest of the items you can't deliver you would be over your time practically every day. It only works if you know whos in and whos out and know exactly which neighbour to leave it with. For that to happen you have to be on a walk for a number of weeks possibly months, no good if your a floater.
The only reason why this has been rolled out is to save money. How you may ask?
You have two people in a callers office that are full time dealing with customers on a daily basis. Now by leaving items with a neighbour this saves time for the customer by not waiting in a queue to collect their item, resulting in one person in the callers office not doing very much. This could go many ways of cost cutting within the callers office depending on how many posties use the system and how much time they will have also. Either way their contract gets slashed or a job loss.
-
S6 Stroller
- Posts: 199
- Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 23:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery To Neighbour
No. It's definitely been brought in for the convenience of our customers. Without a doubt. What could be more convenient than being informed about something this important via a D2D item that probably didn't get read anyway. I bet they were banking on that happening, therefore lowering the amount of opt outs. See also the phone line or online opt out options. Seriously, how many people were going to be arsed to do that? Judging by the one solitary sticker I've seen over the last 6 weeks, not many.cow post wrote:Out on delivery today and went to six doors to find someone that would take a packet off me to give to a neighbour. This wasted 5 mins on just 1 packet, thankfully it wasn't a busy day or i would be fuming.
The point i am trying to make is if it takes 5 mins for one packet imagine the rest of the items you can't deliver you would be over your time practically every day. It only works if you know whos in and whos out and know exactly which neighbour to leave it with. For that to happen you have to be on a walk for a number of weeks possibly months, no good if your a floater.
The only reason why this has been rolled out is to save money. How you may ask?
You have two people in a callers office that are full time dealing with customers on a daily basis. Now by leaving items with a neighbour this saves time for the customer by not waiting in a queue to collect their item, resulting in one person in the callers office not doing very much. This could go many ways of cost cutting within the callers office depending on how many posties use the system and how much time they will have also. Either way their contract gets slashed or a job loss.
I can't believe how arrogant RM are. This really is a disgrace. What do I want for Christmas? Unofficial walkouts, total meltdown...and a new job. You got to have dreams
-
MGB
- Posts: 107
- Joined: 21 Jan 2012, 20:21
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery To Neighbour
As a customer, I never got the D2D. I only knew to opt out via here.S6 Stroller wrote:No. It's definitely been brought in for the convenience of our customers. Without a doubt. What could be more convenient than being informed about something this important via a D2D item that probably didn't get read anyway. I bet they were banking on that happening, therefore lowering the amount of opt outs. See also the phone line or online opt out options. Seriously, how many people were going to be arsed to do that? Judging by the one solitary sticker I've seen over the last 6 weeks, not many.cow post wrote:Out on delivery today and went to six doors to find someone that would take a packet off me to give to a neighbour. This wasted 5 mins on just 1 packet, thankfully it wasn't a busy day or i would be fuming.
The point i am trying to make is if it takes 5 mins for one packet imagine the rest of the items you can't deliver you would be over your time practically every day. It only works if you know whos in and whos out and know exactly which neighbour to leave it with. For that to happen you have to be on a walk for a number of weeks possibly months, no good if your a floater.
The only reason why this has been rolled out is to save money. How you may ask?
You have two people in a callers office that are full time dealing with customers on a daily basis. Now by leaving items with a neighbour this saves time for the customer by not waiting in a queue to collect their item, resulting in one person in the callers office not doing very much. This could go many ways of cost cutting within the callers office depending on how many posties use the system and how much time they will have also. Either way their contract gets slashed or a job loss.
I can't believe how arrogant RM are. This really is a disgrace. What do I want for Christmas? Unofficial walkouts, total meltdown...and a new job. You got to have dreams
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72771
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Delivery To Neighbour
You may have got it and not realised - it wasn't that eye catching - this is the trial one, but the roll out one wasn't that different.matthewbutler wrote: As a customer, I never got the D2D. I only knew to opt out via here.

All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery To Neighbour
-
bigcol
- Posts: 404
- Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: Officially the worst DO
Re: Delivery To Neighbour
I think you mean an unsafe place.dvbuk55 wrote:Now if we were to be allowed to leave it in a safe place at the customers property we would actually gain a benefit from it.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery To Neighbour
That is merely having a level playing, others do it and must presumably the same way that we have in the past.bigcol wrote:I think you mean an unsafe place.dvbuk55 wrote:Now if we were to be allowed to leave it in a safe place at the customers property we would actually gain a benefit from it.![]()
-
S6 Stroller
- Posts: 199
- Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 23:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery To Neighbour
Nah. Out of the question. Leaving stuff in a 'safeplace' (unless it's lockable) is not on, as far as I'm concerned. When I see stuff being left on the doorstep by our competitors it makes my blood boil.dvbuk55 wrote:That is merely having a level playing, others do it and must presumably the same way that we have in the past.bigcol wrote:I think you mean an unsafe place.dvbuk55 wrote:Now if we were to be allowed to leave it in a safe place at the customers property we would actually gain a benefit from it.![]()
-
Fishyfingers
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 05 Jan 2007, 22:04
- Location: Highland
Re: Delivery To Neighbour
I did my first leave with a neighbour today only cos the bloke was in his garden,i felt really awkward asking him.He was took it ok.I will not be knocking on folks doors trying to get rid of packets.
-
skull
- Posts: 450
- Joined: 15 Nov 2010, 19:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery To Neighbour
The "do not deliver to neighbour " stickers on customers windows are already fading. I'm playing it safe and returning all undelivered customer packets to the office. 
-
RTP
- Posts: 863
- Joined: 22 Apr 2011, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery To Neighbour
What about small tracked items that need signing for and can fit through the letterbox?Please remember, that's just items we can't fit through the letterbox
What about small recorded items that need signing for and can fit through the letterbox. A letter for example?
Can a neighbour sign for these as well?
-
japitts
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 07 Dec 2010, 14:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Delivery To Neighbour
I've requested a sticker from the RM website twice now - the first request exactly a fortnight ago. RM deliberately delaying them, or inundated?skull wrote:The "do not deliver to neighbour " stickers on customers windows are already fading. I'm playing it safe and returning all undelivered customer packets to the office.
(Yes I know this is an unofficial site)
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Delivery To Neighbour
Probably inundated, RM don't have the smarts to do it deliberatelyjapitts wrote:I've requested a sticker from the RM website twice now - the first request exactly a fortnight ago. RM deliberately delaying them, or inundated?skull wrote:The "do not deliver to neighbour " stickers on customers windows are already fading. I'm playing it safe and returning all undelivered customer packets to the office.
(Yes I know this is an unofficial site)
Just say to your postie that you don't want it delivered to your neighbour (although most of us aren't doing it because of the time involved and the hassle).
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72771
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Delivery To Neighbour
I had a resident come up to me and apologise for having the label, he was most surprised when I said "No need to apologise, it makes my job easier" - Gobsmacked I think was the appropriate comment for the look on his face.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Stormproof
- Posts: 6116
- Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Re: Delivery To Neighbour
I thanked one of my customers for displaying the opt out sticker, he said he thought I was going to have a go at him about it 
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum