ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Sacked for 'Wilful' delay..
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Sacked for 'Wilful' delay..
The main thing that appears to stand out about this sad case...
A new employee has been asked to deliver mail without sufficient training regarding delivery protocol.
Management (perhaps all the way up to DOM) are willfully breaking the Universal Service Obligation by giving a postie starting at 1300 a complete walk that they know will not be finished by 1500. Now are they officially recording this failure?
On the face of it, this should be an easy ET case in favour of the OP, which could potentially then lead to disciplinary action against the line manager, perhaps even DOM too if they were fully aware.
A new employee has been asked to deliver mail without sufficient training regarding delivery protocol.
Management (perhaps all the way up to DOM) are willfully breaking the Universal Service Obligation by giving a postie starting at 1300 a complete walk that they know will not be finished by 1500. Now are they officially recording this failure?
On the face of it, this should be an easy ET case in favour of the OP, which could potentially then lead to disciplinary action against the line manager, perhaps even DOM too if they were fully aware.
-
easter bunny
- Posts: 378
- Joined: 01 Jul 2007, 20:08
Re: Sacked for 'Wilful' delay..
IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:The main thing that appears to stand out about this sad case...
A new employee has been asked to deliver mail without sufficient training regarding delivery protocol.
Management (perhaps all the way up to DOM) are willfully breaking the Universal Service Obligation by giving a postie starting at 1300 a complete walk that they know will not be finished by 1500. Now are they officially recording this failure?
On the face of it, this should be an easy ET case in favour of the OP, which could potentially then lead to disciplinary action against the line manager, perhaps even DOM too if they were fully aware.
You cannot take a case to an ET unless you have been employed for at least 12 months .
-
General Mannerheim
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2299
- Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
- Gender: Male
- Location: Stalag 17
Re: Sacked for 'Wilful' delay..
Soon to be two years.Tory c.unts.easter bunny wrote:IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:The main thing that appears to stand out about this sad case...
A new employee has been asked to deliver mail without sufficient training regarding delivery protocol.
Management (perhaps all the way up to DOM) are willfully breaking the Universal Service Obligation by giving a postie starting at 1300 a complete walk that they know will not be finished by 1500. Now are they officially recording this failure?
On the face of it, this should be an easy ET case in favour of the OP, which could potentially then lead to disciplinary action against the line manager, perhaps even DOM too if they were fully aware.
You cannot take a case to an ET unless you have been employed for at least 12 months .
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
-
REDLETTER
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 748
- Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
- Gender: Male
- Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL
Re: Sacked for 'Wilful' delay..
Can a Grievence not be lodged with Royal Mail, even though OP no longer works for them?easter bunny wrote:IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:The main thing that appears to stand out about this sad case...
A new employee has been asked to deliver mail without sufficient training regarding delivery protocol.
Management (perhaps all the way up to DOM) are willfully breaking the Universal Service Obligation by giving a postie starting at 1300 a complete walk that they know will not be finished by 1500. Now are they officially recording this failure?
On the face of it, this should be an easy ET case in favour of the OP, which could potentially then lead to disciplinary action against the line manager, perhaps even DOM too if they were fully aware.
You cannot take a case to an ET unless you have been employed for at least 12 months .
-
international
- Posts: 85
- Joined: 23 Mar 2010, 09:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Sacked for 'Wilful' delay..
I think you have a case here put in for an appeal and get a fair trial go above you DOM and get him in the sh#t too you have put in a lot more effort than some others would have done being in your situation
-
Budfrog
- Posts: 893
- Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19
Re: Sacked for 'Wilful' delay..
Not linked to this but 2 summers ago just after deliveries and collections were amalgamated an associate of mine (on collections) was instructed to deliver mail in NW London as they had a huge backlog of packets in the office. He was out until 10:30pm and finally, unable to complete, he phoned the DOM. As his base unit was locked he was 'instructed' to take the mail to a his closest mail centre which he did .... 9 miles each way !!!!
-
REDLETTER
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 748
- Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
- Gender: Male
- Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL
Re: Sacked for 'Wilful' delay..
Did the same when the DO was locked early on a Saturday................you know, when the last Posties leaves, the Dom is switching of the lights!!!!Budfrog wrote:Not linked to this but 2 summers ago just after deliveries and collections were amalgamated an associate of mine (on collections) was instructed to deliver mail in NW London as they had a huge backlog of packets in the office. He was out until 10:30pm and finally, unable to complete, he phoned the DOM. As his base unit was locked he was 'instructed' to take the mail to a his closest mail centre which he did .... 9 miles each way !!!!
-
kawoxux
- Posts: 300
- Joined: 18 Aug 2011, 19:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Sacked for 'Wilful' delay..
Starting at 1pm! farcical
Glad I dont live in an area with a DO that has post coming out at 5pm as a matter of course... surely you just get sarky comments by customers all the way round? Its bad enough at 2pm
Glad I dont live in an area with a DO that has post coming out at 5pm as a matter of course... surely you just get sarky comments by customers all the way round? Its bad enough at 2pm
-
beau1
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 06:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Sacked for 'Wilful' delay..
Thanks for the replies and the support everyone, I wasn't sure what sort of response I was going to get but it seems that I do have a case for unfair dismissal.
I didn't know anything about any sort of cut-off time after 4pm, I was a new temporary worker (had been on Indoor sorting from Late November until early January, then did a bit of posting here and there) and had never been briefed on any matters regarding when I should stop posting mail or what I should do with it when it is time to stop. It was very much 'here it is, go and do it until its done'. I did try and explain most of these factors when I had my meeting with the manager, however he gave no lee-way on the matter. When I told him straight that they would be going through temporary staff like wild-fire if they are going to act like this, he just smirked as if they already were and it didn't really matter. The same manager, on the same day as my 'wilful' delay was taking packages out of bags and putting them aside and saying 'they can wait until tomorrow, there is too much here', isn't this far more like 'wilful delay than my example??!
I'm thinking about writing a letter of complaint to the plant manager of the delivery office and leaving it at that. I am considering talking to a Union rep but again, because I was only a temporary working, I haven't got a clue who they are and whether or not they would be able to offer me advice.
I'm not really interested in getting my job back, but its more about the principle of the action and I'd hope that by me kicking up a bit of s**t that it will help out or stop other temporary workers being caught in the same sitation. Also, I'm looking to clear my name as its obviously not very good to be sacked, especially when it seems that I probably shouldn't have been!
I didn't know anything about any sort of cut-off time after 4pm, I was a new temporary worker (had been on Indoor sorting from Late November until early January, then did a bit of posting here and there) and had never been briefed on any matters regarding when I should stop posting mail or what I should do with it when it is time to stop. It was very much 'here it is, go and do it until its done'. I did try and explain most of these factors when I had my meeting with the manager, however he gave no lee-way on the matter. When I told him straight that they would be going through temporary staff like wild-fire if they are going to act like this, he just smirked as if they already were and it didn't really matter. The same manager, on the same day as my 'wilful' delay was taking packages out of bags and putting them aside and saying 'they can wait until tomorrow, there is too much here', isn't this far more like 'wilful delay than my example??!
I'm thinking about writing a letter of complaint to the plant manager of the delivery office and leaving it at that. I am considering talking to a Union rep but again, because I was only a temporary working, I haven't got a clue who they are and whether or not they would be able to offer me advice.
I'm not really interested in getting my job back, but its more about the principle of the action and I'd hope that by me kicking up a bit of s**t that it will help out or stop other temporary workers being caught in the same sitation. Also, I'm looking to clear my name as its obviously not very good to be sacked, especially when it seems that I probably shouldn't have been!
-
dubdaz
- Posts: 264
- Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 15:55
- Gender: Male
- Location: london borough in kent
Re: Sacked for 'Wilful' delay..
Good luck mate,its a sad state of afairs that what happened to you is gonna be the norm for most new postman in the job
This situation has really been brought about by the unwillingness of the sad majority who tear the arse out of the job,and only think of themselves.
It will eventually effect them with an ever increasing workload until they break
Like you say, your well rid,hope a proper jobs just round the corner.
This situation has really been brought about by the unwillingness of the sad majority who tear the arse out of the job,and only think of themselves.
It will eventually effect them with an ever increasing workload until they break
Like you say, your well rid,hope a proper jobs just round the corner.
Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Sacked for 'Wilful' delay..
I still say it was not your fault due to the lack of training and the late time they sent you out.
The only way to clear your name is to get them to admit fault and reinstate you. You can always leave in your own good time when you have something else lined up.
Start here at the CWU website. I would suggest you email them and ask that if you join will they be able to advice and support you etc.
Link:
http://cwu.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The only way to clear your name is to get them to admit fault and reinstate you. You can always leave in your own good time when you have something else lined up.
Start here at the CWU website. I would suggest you email them and ask that if you join will they be able to advice and support you etc.
Link:
http://cwu.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
whitemoor66
- Posts: 138
- Joined: 08 May 2009, 23:50
- Gender: Male
Re: Sacked for 'Wilful' delay..
Wouldn't bother with the CWU, they talk the talk etc but don't deliver and wouldn't support you even if you had a case. Nobody in the CWU gives a flying one about PT/Temp/Short Term Contract staff. Maybe your best bet might be to try and get a free half hour consultation with a brief that specialises in employment law. I'm clutching at straws but how was the job advertised to you? Do you have any training notes from your induction course that contradict the reality?krussel wrote:I still say it was not your fault due to the lack of training and the late time they sent you out.![]()
The only way to clear your name is to get them to admit fault and reinstate you. You can always leave in your own good time when you have something else lined up.
Start here at the CWU website. I would suggest you email them and ask that if you join will they be able to advice and support you etc.
Link:
http://cwu.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
parcelboy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 206
- Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Re: Sacked for 'Wilful' delay..
tried that no joy there it would appear they have a free hand to manipulate there own procedures and can even be judge jury and executioner as well as havingPOSTMAN wrote:Contact Moya at justsayit@royalmail.com spill the beans and show the management crud up.
HR tipping them off forgot the bit about collusion they are free to chat amongst themselves its called impartiality and to crown it all award offending managers by just moving them to another office all post persons should be very aware corruption in RM starts just above you and goes right to the very top trust no one
-
flaminmoses
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 819
- Joined: 05 Jul 2009, 14:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Sacked for 'Wilful' delay..
sorry to say this but because you havent been here a year rm know they can get away woth this unless the union take a stand.
there could be reasons why the union might not want to make a stand though.....which would leave you high and dry.
there could be reasons why the union might not want to make a stand though.....which would leave you high and dry.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Sacked for 'Wilful' delay..
After being speechless at reading the opening post, I would strongly suggest that you take steps to clear your name, even if you don't want your job back.
My first reaction would be to go to the papers, they'd have a field day. However, I think your MP would be the best person to discuss this mind boggling shambles.
You might think 'why bother?', but wouldn't it feel great to get some revenge, as well as clear your name?
I'd do anything not to have such a black mark on my record, as to see that idiot manager sacked.
My first reaction would be to go to the papers, they'd have a field day. However, I think your MP would be the best person to discuss this mind boggling shambles.
You might think 'why bother?', but wouldn't it feel great to get some revenge, as well as clear your name?
I'd do anything not to have such a black mark on my record, as to see that idiot manager sacked.