ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Got any ID?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
RedBagMan
Posts: 1010
Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male
Location: Behind the lens

Re: Got any ID?

Post by RedBagMan »

A lot of social housing/flats up our end have these thin "ID Slots" in the front doors so post/gas/elec etc can pop their ID card through it before doors are opened - my ID card is still "a virgin" tho' :chuckle
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
ElvisGaddafi
Posts: 249
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:17
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: Got any ID?

Post by ElvisGaddafi »

Mine went missing months ago and all requests for a new one have been ignored. In the meantime I'm using my old Man From Uncle badge. It's triangular and I'm 7 years old in the photo but it seems to be accepted ok.
The sky is white as clay, with no sun.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Got any ID?

Post by TeeferTiger »

pinstripe wrote:"‘Even on the street delivering mail, you must be able to show it. More and more customers are asking for ID and we need to be able to prove who we are"

This has always confused me. A big red bag full of letters and packets, with Royal Mail printed on the side of it. A red jacket with Royal Mail printed on it, an orange hi-vis vest also with Royal Mail printed on it and a baseball cap with Royal Mail printed on it.

Staff on collections, yes, wearing ID in the office, yes, but delivery posties on the street, why?
Ding Dong.
"Hello, who is it?"
"Postman, I've got a parcel for you"
"I can't let you in unless you show me your ID"
"I don't want to come in, I want to give you your mail"
"Have you got any ID?"
"Yes"
"OK, I'll open the door"
Opens door
"Here's your mail" turns to leave
"I can't take this, you haven't shown me your ID" :so there
Despite me always having my full uniform on, baseball cap, hi viz etc etc whilst on delivery, I used to get asked a lot if I was delivering the local paper... perhaps it was my youthful teenage looks?! :whistle :chuckle

And I had a parcel for a little old dear who wouldn't open her door to me (in the middle of the afternoon) because she wasn't expecting a parcel so I told her I'd just leave it on her doorstep for her. I mean, if she'd just looked out of her window she'd have seen me standing there in full uniform with the fully liveried van outside, but hey ho. So, I didn't even get chance to show her any ID because she wouldn't open the door. Luckily it didn't require a signature or I'd have just P739d it...
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
wandle
Posts: 944
Joined: 25 Feb 2011, 17:17
Gender: Male

Re: Got any ID?

Post by wandle »

tigercat wrote:My ID badge expired in September!
'Tis better your badge expired, rather than .... :nervous
bedfordrl
Posts: 386
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 22:16
Gender: Male
Location: North East Hampshire

Re: Got any ID?

Post by bedfordrl »

Mines in my bag somewhere, in the three or so years I have had it I have never once been asked to show it.

I was at a meeting in Aldershot and IB was there in force and not one had any form of ID on them .
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Got any ID?

Post by andy2007 »

You should have challenged them. We do, when they do their periodeic security checks at the RDC. So far, they've always had their ID on them. But if they don't, they'll be asked to leave the premises. They aren't above the security policy.
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: Got any ID?

Post by maisymoo04 »

i still wear the old gold small jiml fix it badge no the one with ur name and post code on it mmmmmm memorys :Applause
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
NWpostie
Posts: 3622
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Got any ID?

Post by NWpostie »

Image
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
timemax
Posts: 22
Joined: 12 Jun 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Re: Got any ID?

Post by timemax »

My ID badge won't expire as I've never had one ! ( I was away on leave when the 'photos were done 3 years ago ) I have been " badgering " our Dom for 18 months to get one, primarily so I can use it to get myself and others into Heritage sites for free. 2 weeks ago on returning to the office, I was unable to produce it for inspection by IB ? so I explained all of the above ! Surprise,surprise, next day myself and 10 others told we must have one A.S.A.P. Strange that !
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Got any ID?

Post by andy2007 »

It's all very well saying you've got to get one ASAP, but are IB going to ensure that you recieve one? :hmmmm
If not. Who gets into trouble. You, or your Manager? :nervous
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Got any ID?

Post by fishtank »

andy2007 wrote:It's all very well saying you've got to get one ASAP, but are IB going to ensure that you recieve one? :hmmmm
If not. Who gets into trouble. You, or your Manager? :nervous
Your manager.
Been there and done that.

Line management on one of their tidying fixations decided to tidy away my stormproof that was hanging over the back of my frame.
I never saw it again.
It had my ID badge in the pocket.
I reported it to management,waited a month reported it again and got pulled by IB.
Told them the story and they went straight back to the office and chewed up the lino and the DOM.
How i laughed. :chuckle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Got any ID?

Post by andy2007 »

That makes a nice change. Normally, we get the blame for everything, even if it's Management's fault. It's good to know that IB know who to pull up for these things. :Applause :Applause
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
fmrPOSTIE
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 674
Joined: 29 Oct 2008, 20:52
Gender: Male

Re: Got any ID?

Post by fmrPOSTIE »

shame they'ved phased out the gold badges though. Something nostalgic about them..........