ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

help needed

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Re: help needed

Post by Indy »

arty_morty wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
arty_morty wrote:I have foolishly agreed to my wifes request to come to her school to tell a bunch of 5 year olds about Royal Mail. Trouble is I have no idea how to structure the talk for kids that young. Do RM provide any aids for learning or school info packs?
Failing that has anyone got any good ideas I can use?

Ta.
Don't keep them in a stuffy classroom, take them out on your round, their first experience of 'work experience'. :nana
Some might even be keen enough to do the Door To Doors at addresses for which you have no proper post. :nana
30 kids? No thanks! Besides it wouldn't be allowed
Not allowed?.... bloody do gooders! next they'll be banning children from being chimney sweeps... tut!
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: help needed

Post by DGP1 »

There are guidelines to giving school talks and there a video somewhere (Lenny the Letter.....on a letter adventure) ask your DOM for the video :Very Happy
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: help needed

Post by Lounge Lizard »

DGP1 wrote:There are guidelines to giving school talks and there a video somewhere (Lenny the Letter.....on a letter adventure) ask your DOM for the video :Very Happy
That's right, and you can get them to prepare your Door To Doors while they're watching it, five being an ideal age for an introduction to multitasking :nana and tell them to tell their parents to stay in if they're expecting a parcel or Special or Recorded Delivery. :nana :nana and tell them Tuesday's the quietest day if their mothers can take the trouble to put the kettle on and make some coffee. :nana :nana :nana :nana
arty_morty
Posts: 282
Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 13:07
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: help needed

Post by arty_morty »

Right, well I sent an email to the RM education department. They sent me some notebooks to give the kids and a DVD featuring Lenny. I spoke to a bloke called Barry Wiles who gave me a few pointers on how to structure the talk. I'm almost looking forward to it. :pray
I staged a Roger Moore impersonator festival in my local village. There were a lot of eyebrows raised, I can tell you.
Caniel
Posts: 623
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
Gender: Female
Location: The Batcave

Re: help needed

Post by Caniel »

Take some pictures of your day at work.

*Signing on bench and your manager.

*Your frame when you arrive at work covered in machine bundles.

*The IPS sorting with loads of fat cheesed off posties sorting.

*Your frame full of mail when it's all thrown off.

*All your packets in a ALT.

*All your bags once your bagged up.

*Some random pics of where you go when out on delivery.

*A pic of an angry dog.

*A pic of a customer looking chuffed to receive a packet.

*A pic of your bike/park n loop van/or packet delivery van

*Most important a pic of a cat on delivery, black and white ideally as kids all think we have a cat or know a cat.

*Finally some pics of you returning to the office.

You can come up with some simple notations to put to the pictures and drag it out for 20 minutes then answer some questions from the kids after :)

Hand out some keep the post public stuff from the Union as well like stickers :)

Hope this helps :Very Happy
arty_morty
Posts: 282
Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 13:07
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: help needed

Post by arty_morty »

Caniel wrote:Take some pictures of your day at work.


*The IPS sorting with loads of fat cheesed off posties sorting.

Do you work in my office? :Very Happy Thanks for the tips.
I staged a Roger Moore impersonator festival in my local village. There were a lot of eyebrows raised, I can tell you.
arty_morty
Posts: 282
Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 13:07
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: help needed

Post by arty_morty »

Well that didn't go too badly. The kids watched the Lenny the Letter DVD and then I told them a bit about my day. They then asked me a few questions and that was about it. At least they enjoyed it.
I staged a Roger Moore impersonator festival in my local village. There were a lot of eyebrows raised, I can tell you.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: help needed

Post by Lounge Lizard »

arty_morty wrote:Well that didn't go too badly. The kids watched the Lenny the Letter DVD and then I told them a bit about my day. They then asked me a few questions and that was about it. At least they enjoyed it.
What questions did they ask ?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: help needed

Post by clashcityrocker »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
arty_morty wrote:Well that didn't go too badly. The kids watched the Lenny the Letter DVD and then I told them a bit about my day. They then asked me a few questions and that was about it. At least they enjoyed it.
What questions did they ask ?
Where's my giro?
Who is it from?
Where is the regular postie?
How much does it cost to send this?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: help needed

Post by DGP1 »

arty_morty wrote:Well that didn't go too badly. The kids watched the Lenny the Letter DVD and then I told them a bit about my day. They then asked me a few questions and that was about it. At least they enjoyed it.
I can't believe they put it on DVD, it's not like RM to be so progressive but at least I was right about Lenny the Letter (which is a relief because I really thought I might have imagined it :nervous ).
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: help needed

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

DGP1 wrote: but at least I was right about Lenny the Letter (which is a relief because I really thought I might have imagined it :nervous ).
Come on even you know with your mind it would be "Lenny the Letcher" if you had imagined it. :whistle :whistle
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: help needed

Post by Pinky 1 »

clashcityrocker wrote:
fishtank wrote:Show them the "how do they do that" vid :neutral:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BVHPmGIxBQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why does the sheep appear at the start?
Did Pinky make the video?
The ewe is Ned's "pet" ....... :wink:
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
arty_morty
Posts: 282
Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 13:07
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: help needed

Post by arty_morty »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
arty_morty wrote:Well that didn't go too badly. The kids watched the Lenny the Letter DVD and then I told them a bit about my day. They then asked me a few questions and that was about it. At least they enjoyed it.
What questions did they ask ?
Where's my giro?
Who is it from?
Where is the regular postie?
How much does it cost to send this?
Considering the area I was in I was expecting Q1 at the very least. Most were along the lines of "will I get any letters?", "where do letters go after they get to my house?" (yes, you read that right), and one from a teacher "why does the postman leave rubber bands outside my house?". I told her that mine did the same and he knows that I'm a postman.
I staged a Roger Moore impersonator festival in my local village. There were a lot of eyebrows raised, I can tell you.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: help needed

Post by Lounge Lizard »

fishtank wrote:Show them the "how do they do that" vid :neutral:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BVHPmGIxBQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I didn't know the mobile phones were still that big in Scotland. :crazy: