Not allowed?.... bloody do gooders! next they'll be banning children from being chimney sweeps... tut!arty_morty wrote:30 kids? No thanks! Besides it wouldn't be allowedLounge Lizard wrote:Don't keep them in a stuffy classroom, take them out on your round, their first experience of 'work experience'.arty_morty wrote:I have foolishly agreed to my wifes request to come to her school to tell a bunch of 5 year olds about Royal Mail. Trouble is I have no idea how to structure the talk for kids that young. Do RM provide any aids for learning or school info packs?
Failing that has anyone got any good ideas I can use?
Ta.![]()
Some might even be keen enough to do the Door To Doors at addresses for which you have no proper post.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
help needed
-
Indy
- Posts: 977
- Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
- Gender: Male
Re: help needed
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: help needed
There are guidelines to giving school talks and there a video somewhere (Lenny the Letter.....on a letter adventure) ask your DOM for the video 
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: help needed
That's right, and you can get them to prepare your Door To Doors while they're watching it, five being an ideal age for an introduction to multitaskingDGP1 wrote:There are guidelines to giving school talks and there a video somewhere (Lenny the Letter.....on a letter adventure) ask your DOM for the video
-
arty_morty
- Posts: 282
- Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 13:07
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Re: help needed
Right, well I sent an email to the RM education department. They sent me some notebooks to give the kids and a DVD featuring Lenny. I spoke to a bloke called Barry Wiles who gave me a few pointers on how to structure the talk. I'm almost looking forward to it. 
I staged a Roger Moore impersonator festival in my local village. There were a lot of eyebrows raised, I can tell you.
-
Caniel
- Posts: 623
- Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
- Gender: Female
- Location: The Batcave
Re: help needed
Take some pictures of your day at work.
*Signing on bench and your manager.
*Your frame when you arrive at work covered in machine bundles.
*The IPS sorting with loads of fat cheesed off posties sorting.
*Your frame full of mail when it's all thrown off.
*All your packets in a ALT.
*All your bags once your bagged up.
*Some random pics of where you go when out on delivery.
*A pic of an angry dog.
*A pic of a customer looking chuffed to receive a packet.
*A pic of your bike/park n loop van/or packet delivery van
*Most important a pic of a cat on delivery, black and white ideally as kids all think we have a cat or know a cat.
*Finally some pics of you returning to the office.
You can come up with some simple notations to put to the pictures and drag it out for 20 minutes then answer some questions from the kids after :)
Hand out some keep the post public stuff from the Union as well like stickers :)
Hope this helps
*Signing on bench and your manager.
*Your frame when you arrive at work covered in machine bundles.
*The IPS sorting with loads of fat cheesed off posties sorting.
*Your frame full of mail when it's all thrown off.
*All your packets in a ALT.
*All your bags once your bagged up.
*Some random pics of where you go when out on delivery.
*A pic of an angry dog.
*A pic of a customer looking chuffed to receive a packet.
*A pic of your bike/park n loop van/or packet delivery van
*Most important a pic of a cat on delivery, black and white ideally as kids all think we have a cat or know a cat.
*Finally some pics of you returning to the office.
You can come up with some simple notations to put to the pictures and drag it out for 20 minutes then answer some questions from the kids after :)
Hand out some keep the post public stuff from the Union as well like stickers :)
Hope this helps
-
arty_morty
- Posts: 282
- Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 13:07
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Re: help needed
Do you work in my office?Caniel wrote:Take some pictures of your day at work.
*The IPS sorting with loads of fat cheesed off posties sorting.
I staged a Roger Moore impersonator festival in my local village. There were a lot of eyebrows raised, I can tell you.
-
arty_morty
- Posts: 282
- Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 13:07
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Re: help needed
Well that didn't go too badly. The kids watched the Lenny the Letter DVD and then I told them a bit about my day. They then asked me a few questions and that was about it. At least they enjoyed it.
I staged a Roger Moore impersonator festival in my local village. There were a lot of eyebrows raised, I can tell you.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: help needed
What questions did they ask ?arty_morty wrote:Well that didn't go too badly. The kids watched the Lenny the Letter DVD and then I told them a bit about my day. They then asked me a few questions and that was about it. At least they enjoyed it.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16736
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: help needed
Where's my giro?Lounge Lizard wrote:What questions did they ask ?arty_morty wrote:Well that didn't go too badly. The kids watched the Lenny the Letter DVD and then I told them a bit about my day. They then asked me a few questions and that was about it. At least they enjoyed it.
Who is it from?
Where is the regular postie?
How much does it cost to send this?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: help needed
I can't believe they put it on DVD, it's not like RM to be so progressive but at least I was right about Lenny the Letter (which is a relief because I really thought I might have imagined itarty_morty wrote:Well that didn't go too badly. The kids watched the Lenny the Letter DVD and then I told them a bit about my day. They then asked me a few questions and that was about it. At least they enjoyed it.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72773
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: help needed
Come on even you know with your mind it would be "Lenny the Letcher" if you had imagined it.DGP1 wrote: but at least I was right about Lenny the Letter (which is a relief because I really thought I might have imagined it).
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Pinky 1
- Posts: 1510
- Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Wales
Re: help needed
The ewe is Ned's "pet" .......clashcityrocker wrote:Why does the sheep appear at the start?fishtank wrote:Show them the "how do they do that" vid![]()
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BVHPmGIxBQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Did Pinky make the video?
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
-
arty_morty
- Posts: 282
- Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 13:07
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Re: help needed
Considering the area I was in I was expecting Q1 at the very least. Most were along the lines of "will I get any letters?", "where do letters go after they get to my house?" (yes, you read that right), and one from a teacher "why does the postman leave rubber bands outside my house?". I told her that mine did the same and he knows that I'm a postman.clashcityrocker wrote:Where's my giro?Lounge Lizard wrote:What questions did they ask ?arty_morty wrote:Well that didn't go too badly. The kids watched the Lenny the Letter DVD and then I told them a bit about my day. They then asked me a few questions and that was about it. At least they enjoyed it.
Who is it from?
Where is the regular postie?
How much does it cost to send this?
I staged a Roger Moore impersonator festival in my local village. There were a lot of eyebrows raised, I can tell you.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: help needed
I didn't know the mobile phones were still that big in Scotland.fishtank wrote:Show them the "how do they do that" vid![]()
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BVHPmGIxBQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;