ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What annoys you the most?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
xPandabear1992x
Posts: 286
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by xPandabear1992x »

EdRush wrote: ↑
14 Dec 2020, 21:25
HTPostman wrote: ↑
14 Dec 2020, 19:31
xPandabear1992x wrote: ↑
14 Dec 2020, 19:27
HTPostman wrote: ↑
14 Dec 2020, 18:00
Grumpyoldmailman wrote: ↑
14 Dec 2020, 05:52
HTPostman wrote: ↑
14 Dec 2020, 05:48
Yorks again. We have a ramp at work to push your york out to the loading bay. We are told we are not allowed to pull the york down the ramp due to H+S, but as soon as you push the york down the ramp things fall off so you have to put the brake on, hope the person behind you has noticed you’ve stopped, retrieve the fallen parcels, put them back on the york, take the brake off. Repeat process until you reach the van. Every single day.

I know I shouldn’t have to but I’m tempted to cut some thick cardboard to size and slot it at the front of the york to stop things falling out.
Push the York down backwards.
Not allowed to as we aren’t able to access the brake then.
Surely nobody can conduct you for pushing the york down the ramp back to front.

Unless they really expect you to use a brake on an incline, bring the york to a sudden stop and let gravity pull all of the other packets onto the floor of a loading bay presumably packed with active vehicles.

Red tape.
That’s pretty much it.

Can’t pull the york down. Can’t push it down backwards. Can’t walk alongside it. Has to be pushed from behind.

So people push it down, things fall off, they have to stop the york with the brake, pick everything up while people are waiting to go down the ramp and others up the ramp. On average the waiting and faffing about adds 5 minutes to the day.

Only at Royal Mail....
Try a york with the expanding red sleeve that can be sealed up with the velcro? aka shroud
Not as easy as that, when I start, all of my packets are piled on a regular york and it'd be a complete waste of time emptying it into a shroud, only to empty the shroud into a van.

Not to mention that I start when all the inbound packet sorters start hoarding shrouds
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by HTPostman »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
14 Dec 2020, 19:46
Is this taking mail from the walk prep frames out to your vans?

If you have an accident moving a york and you weren't using the yellow handles, RM will just deem it to be a blameworthy
No , it’s taking parcels, trays of mail if I’m on a rural, bags etc.

I get the feeling things are done differently here. I keep seeing people saying they had 3/4/5 drop bags of parcels. I’ve no idea what that means.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Drop bag fittings are old skool from when we had very few parcels.
Most offices have moved away from that.
They would be a complete waste of time in most offices now.

It's just as it sounds, a fitting with a lot of bags set up in it to drop the parcels into.
Only dead fish follow the current
xPandabear1992x
Posts: 286
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by xPandabear1992x »

Speak for yourself. We've got 3 large drop bag fittings and a couple of little-uns.

The amount of people crowded around them of a morning you'd think social distancing was never mentioned.
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

People who live in places with time locked doors who have parcels but never answer the intercom to let you in. Had one today and I buzzed one of the residents I know who are alway good to let u in. Knock on Mrs No Answer Intercom and there she was just too lazy to buzz me in. No access next time.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Random people who approach you in the street and say "Anything for me today?" like I have any idea who they are.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by yellowbelly »

clashcityrocker wrote: ↑
16 Dec 2020, 19:09
Random people who approach you in the street and say "Anything for me today?" like I have any idea who they are.
Or when they're in the garden, you walk past their house to the next house and then they ask 'Anything....?' - like I just
missed you out on purpose for a laugh so I could get some more exercise by walking back to your house again.
sindba
Posts: 1456
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by sindba »

Awkwardly placed Christmas wreaths on door knockers are doing my head in again

*Muffled thud*

Have to the PDA out and give the door a clatter, pain in the backside. No way I'm battering my poor knuckles.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by Woody Guthrie »

clashcityrocker wrote: ↑
16 Dec 2020, 19:09
Random people who approach you in the street and say "Anything for me today?" like I have any idea who they are.
It could be code for a clandestine sexual encounter?
Or maybe you just look like your local dealer.
Only dead fish follow the current
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by HTPostman »

Had a classic ‘you didn’t knock’ episode yesterday.

I knocked twice, no answer, tried a neighbour, no answer. Went back and knocked a third time with the PDA this time. Karen quickly opens the door

‘there’s no need to break the door down’

‘but you never heard me the first 2 times.’

‘did you knock?’

‘Yes’

‘Well I never heard you.’

Talk about banging your head against a wall.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
gimba
Posts: 192
Joined: 08 Aug 2018, 21:12
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by gimba »

Video doorbell

Been several times using the bell, never an answer

Today I knocked instead, got an answer
"We got a doorbell you know, we can tell you to leave it with a neighbor"

I've done that several times and never had anyone speak, can't go wrong with a knock

Then she muttered something and closed the door
Dexydog
Posts: 887
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by Dexydog »

Had a wreath on door today.
Massive handful of mail, struggled to access letter box and wreath falls off.
Got to end of drive and customer actually takes the trouble to open door not to say thanks for all your hard work, but to sarcastically say "i'll put it back on then shall i?"
Thanks you do that.
sorefeet17
Posts: 299
Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by sorefeet17 »

gimba wrote: ↑
17 Dec 2020, 20:22
Video doorbell

Been several times using the bell, never an answer

Today I knocked instead, got an answer
"We got a doorbell you know, we can tell you to leave it with a neighbor"

I've done that several times and never had anyone speak, can't go wrong with a knock

Then she muttered something and closed the door
I had one the other day, two doorbells ones a video one, I rang both a couple of times, no answer so carded them went to next house and some angry bloke came out shouting "why didn't you knock?"
We can't win whatever we do :arrrghhh
amco37
Posts: 48
Joined: 27 Mar 2013, 11:40
Gender: Female

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by amco37 »

Everything annoys me at the moment. Must be work-related stress. I am fed-up with parcels and delivering them to to the same serial orderers! These people have no shame. They seem to be totally consumer-driven - just buy, buy, buy.
And now with the new parcel pick up service. Guess what??? It's the same morons that order too much who want their parcels picked up :coolr
Work-related stress makes me hate the customers and my road rage is starting to go through the roof. I mean why the hell is the traffic so busy lately? :crazy: I'm trying to a job and where the hell are all these other people going?
I'll be leaving this shitty job soon. We are just MULES!
Pumpernickel
Posts: 155
Joined: 09 Nov 2019, 20:55
Gender: Male

Re: What annoys you the most?

Post by Pumpernickel »

yellowbelly wrote: ↑
16 Dec 2020, 19:33

Or when they're in the garden, you walk past their house to the next house and then they ask 'Anything....?' - like I just
missed you out on purpose for a laugh so I could get some more exercise by walking back to your house again.
Or when they're in the garden as you approach, fiddling in your bag for that parcel you know is there. You find said parcel, look up and they're gone but you see the door close. You roll your eyes, walk down the path, knock, and wait. Then knock again and 739 it.

5 minutes later they come running down the street claiming you didn't even knock.