Hi, I have a question about work as a Union Representative from the position of person who had a contract on delivery. I'm seeking some document/official information/agreement between CWU and RM about Union Rep's work/hours in relation to work on delivery (performing a duty).
I heard that someone who is Union Representative some time spend on work for Union, but also spend time for work on his duty on delivery, that there is some kind of agreement about that.
Is it possible however, that person who is Union Rep doesn't do his duty on delivery at all and only work doing Union work? But also do some extra work/overtime performing some other work within RM just to get overtime?
Also just curiosity, how the payslip looks like? Is there normal RM salary line in that or it's CWU salary?
Thank you in advance for any info!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Union Representative vs work in RM
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: Union Representative vs work in RM
Depends on high up you are do you get paid as cub scout or as a scout leader!Aaanka wrote: ↑11 Sep 2022, 18:27Hi, I have a question about work as a Union Representative from the position of person who had a contract on delivery. I'm seeking some document/official information/agreement between CWU and RM about Union Rep's work/hours in relation to work on delivery (performing a duty).
I heard that someone who is Union Representative some time spend on work for Union, but also spend time for work on his duty on delivery, that there is some kind of agreement about that.
Is it possible however, that person who is Union Rep doesn't do his duty on delivery at all and only work doing Union work? But also do some extra work/overtime performing some other work within RM just to get overtime?
Also just curiosity, how the payslip looks like? Is there normal RM salary line in that or it's CWU salary?
Thank you in advance for any info!
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Union Representative vs work in RM
Why you asking an on whose behalf.Aaanka wrote: ↑11 Sep 2022, 18:27Hi, I have a question about work as a Union Representative from the position of person who had a contract on delivery. I'm seeking some document/official information/agreement between CWU and RM about Union Rep's work/hours in relation to work on delivery (performing a duty).
I heard that someone who is Union Representative some time spend on work for Union, but also spend time for work on his duty on delivery, that there is some kind of agreement about that.
Is it possible however, that person who is Union Rep doesn't do his duty on delivery at all and only work doing Union work? But also do some extra work/overtime performing some other work within RM just to get overtime?
Also just curiosity, how the payslip looks like? Is there normal RM salary line in that or it's CWU salary?
Thank you in advance for any info!
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Union Representative vs work in RM
Interesting First Post Aaanka (loved Shooting Stars by the way)
I think what you're getting at is what's called "Full Time Release", this is when CWU Reps (normally at Area Delivery Rep level) don't actually do any deliveries but are paid by Royal Mail (believe it or no), to travel around their Area sorting out problems in the various Delivery Offices/Mail Centres.
The more familiar Unit Rep doesn't get any extra pay, and bugger all thanks, for sorting out his own Delivery Office's problems. Anything too complicated and he passes the buck upwards to the Area Del Rep. He should be getting some "Release" from his Delivery Duty to discuss things like Work Time Resourcing (sorting out the duties) with the DOM on a weekly basis.
In smaller DOs this is only ever about 1 hour 30 mins a week (This is normally achieved by someone else throwing off his walk on a particular day). I have no experience of it but I presume in larger DOs he's allowed more.... perhaps even Full Time Release?
I presume this is where a lot of the problems/conflict/jealousy starts? I know of some Mail Centres where the H&S Rep is on Full Time Release, but then you could argue he's got a lot of things to keep an eye on!
I feel the reason the Unit Reps get such a bad press is because some are basically taking the piss, feathering their own nests and spending most of their time making sure "They" don't get any extra work.
As with Managers some are just not Big Enough for the job. But don't despair if you're not happy you can always apply for the post yourself and do a better job! Believe it or not the guy that went for the job in our last election was one of the Strike Breakers this time around!
See what I mean about not being Big Enough for the job.
I think what you're getting at is what's called "Full Time Release", this is when CWU Reps (normally at Area Delivery Rep level) don't actually do any deliveries but are paid by Royal Mail (believe it or no), to travel around their Area sorting out problems in the various Delivery Offices/Mail Centres.
The more familiar Unit Rep doesn't get any extra pay, and bugger all thanks, for sorting out his own Delivery Office's problems. Anything too complicated and he passes the buck upwards to the Area Del Rep. He should be getting some "Release" from his Delivery Duty to discuss things like Work Time Resourcing (sorting out the duties) with the DOM on a weekly basis.
In smaller DOs this is only ever about 1 hour 30 mins a week (This is normally achieved by someone else throwing off his walk on a particular day). I have no experience of it but I presume in larger DOs he's allowed more.... perhaps even Full Time Release?
I presume this is where a lot of the problems/conflict/jealousy starts? I know of some Mail Centres where the H&S Rep is on Full Time Release, but then you could argue he's got a lot of things to keep an eye on!
I feel the reason the Unit Reps get such a bad press is because some are basically taking the piss, feathering their own nests and spending most of their time making sure "They" don't get any extra work.
See what I mean about not being Big Enough for the job.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Re: Union Representative vs work in RM
Unit reps and Area reps get paid release.
For a unit rep apart from the occasional course all that usually means is that someone will attempt to prep your duty while you're in a meeting.
Area reps are mostly on full-time release because to be fair it's a full-time job and a decent one will put in 50hrs a week for 37hrs pay. Obviously some are not so conscientious but they are in post because (some of) the members voted for them so you get what you vote for.
Branch Secs and other branch officials are paid by Royal Mail but the costs are recouped from the union through central billing.
The top bods like Terry and Co are paid directly by the CWU.
For a unit rep apart from the occasional course all that usually means is that someone will attempt to prep your duty while you're in a meeting.
Area reps are mostly on full-time release because to be fair it's a full-time job and a decent one will put in 50hrs a week for 37hrs pay. Obviously some are not so conscientious but they are in post because (some of) the members voted for them so you get what you vote for.
Branch Secs and other branch officials are paid by Royal Mail but the costs are recouped from the union through central billing.
The top bods like Terry and Co are paid directly by the CWU.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
Aaanka
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 18 Feb 2022, 14:27
- Gender: Female
Re: Union Representative vs work in RM
Thank you for answering my questions. Yes, that is what I meant and now I know that there is such a thing like 'Full Time Release' and how it works.
Union Reps in my office do a lots of work and I'm not surprised it takes full time vacancy.
And it's good to find out what is really possible in the terms of Union's work and probably sometimes not listen to the rumors.
It's my first post, but probably not the last one
I think I might get real answers for some my questions as I found that managers quite often don't know many things and Union keeps things rather confidencial and don't pass/share information very well.
So it will be for my very precious source of information
All the best!
Union Reps in my office do a lots of work and I'm not surprised it takes full time vacancy.
And it's good to find out what is really possible in the terms of Union's work and probably sometimes not listen to the rumors.
It's my first post, but probably not the last one
So it will be for my very precious source of information
All the best!