ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Uniform

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hans solo
Posts: 3291
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Uniform

Post by hans solo »

Been told no more old uniform to be issued
Tried online not happening
New uniform not getting rolled out for us until next year
Only shoes available
Do we use our own clothes now
Claim tax rebate for using own clothes
Are RM claiming tax relief on uniform the are not supplying ??
Kenfandango
Posts: 694
Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 16:40
Gender: Male

Re: Uniform

Post by Kenfandango »

Those of us who have the new uniform are finding it not fit for purpose, and falling apart. Definitely need replacement tops within the first year.
priority102
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 520
Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:57
Gender: Female

Re: Uniform

Post by priority102 »

hans solo wrote: ↑
01 Sep 2022, 06:31

Do we use our own clothes now
Most wear their own clobber now anyway, but still keep the extra £120 annual tax allowance for cleaning official uniform. :dance

Royal Mail have made a giant killing savings wise on all the unissued uniform brought about by posties choosing to wear their own clobber, hence why no one is ever challenged about it now.

Back when I started, unless it was an emergency, full uniform (including tie) had to be worn. That was, however, when you were proud to be a part of the then highly respected service.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Uniform

Post by SpacePhoenix »

priority102 wrote: ↑
01 Sep 2022, 08:19
Back when I started, unless it was an emergency, full uniform (including tie) had to be worn. That was, however, when you were proud to be a part of the then highly respected service.
Think I remember reading somewhere that years ago many RM posties were ex military
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: Uniform

Post by HTPostman »

I challenge anyone to do this job now while wearing shirt and tie with the outdoor hours we now work!

I get your point though - I wear my own footwear as I’ve shown the RM issued ones to 2 doctors and a chiropractor who all agreed the footwear is shambolic with no proper support for the arch of your foot. But I don’t understand why people are allowed to get away with wearing jogging bottoms (with their boxers often showing), own t shirt, own cap etc.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
knackeredneedadayoff
Posts: 342
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 18:19
Gender: Male

Re: Uniform

Post by knackeredneedadayoff »

When i started in the early 80's most staff were soldiers from ww2 with about 40 staff and only 2 oldies left alive now in 90's with one still driving with loads of lady friends. We had a light grey summer uniform and dark winter and had to wear a tie and peaked cap, there were hardly any women posties and none at our office .It was a 6 day week work but much easier with morris marina vans i think, but my first wage was about £90 ,i could write a book about the funny things that happened
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Uniform

Post by Dindin »

HTPostman wrote: ↑
01 Sep 2022, 09:47
I challenge anyone to do this job now while wearing shirt and tie with the outdoor hours we now work!

I get your point though - I wear my own footwear as I’ve shown the RM issued ones to 2 doctors and a chiropractor who all agreed the footwear is shambolic with no proper support for the arch of your foot. But I don’t understand why people are allowed to get away with wearing jogging bottoms (with their boxers often showing), own t shirt, own cap etc.
Don't forget the blue blazer
olilew
Posts: 594
Joined: 19 May 2010, 22:04
Gender: Male

Re: Uniform

Post by olilew »

Ordered all my new uniform in one go last October, never yet received a stitch of it!
"Just take it out and see how you go......."