ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What is the actual rule

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
Redacer
Posts: 43
Joined: 21 Jun 2016, 13:24
Gender: Male

What is the actual rule

Post by Redacer »

What is the actual rule on being taken off your duty with little notice to go onto another duty with days and days of mail. This now seems to be normal practice by management.
lfc77
postman2014
Posts: 78
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 00:15
Gender: Male

Re: What is the actual rule

Post by postman2014 »

Redacer wrote: ↑
28 Aug 2022, 10:47
What is the actual rule on being taken off your duty with little notice to go onto another duty with days and days of mail. This now seems to be normal practice by management.
I've learnt if you do a bad job when moved you don't get moved again.... clear the work and you will certainly be moved all the time. Don't think you can argue about getting moved. Just work your hours and bring back what you can't complete.
Frankie15
Posts: 200
Joined: 17 Oct 2019, 16:48
Gender: Male

Re: What is the actual rule

Post by Frankie15 »

"As required by your manager" has always been something that I've known over the years. You may have signed for a duty but you don't own it. As stated above. Work your hours, take your break and do what you can in that time
jessicarabbit
Posts: 619
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 19:57
Gender: Female

Re: What is the actual rule

Post by jessicarabbit »

If it's only you that gets moved then ask the manager to start to keep a record of who has been moved and rotate the guys having to do double days. If he declines then bang in a grievance.
redlen
Posts: 1348
Joined: 21 Dec 2021, 12:05
Gender: Male

Re: What is the actual rule

Post by redlen »

There will be no call for a grievance. For a grievance you have to show you are suffering a detriment or unfair treatment compared to your colleagues. Moving people onto different duties depends on Skillset and operational requirements. As in needs of the business during sickness and annual leave deficiency. Though I agree, they should share it within that Skillset, but nothing saying they cannot under operational requirements and within contracted hours.
kookoo32
Posts: 187
Joined: 10 Oct 2008, 20:34
Gender: Male
Location: scotland

Re: What is the actual rule

Post by kookoo32 »

"As directed' it's called in our place. As someone above said just do your hours. Wouldn't be breaking my back to clear it.
mattick
Posts: 117
Joined: 26 Nov 2019, 21:28
Gender: Male

Re: What is the actual rule

Post by mattick »

Years and years ago I was sent to different offices, I knew that when I got there, I'd be doing the cr*p that management couldn't cover on overtime. In the end I just started doing a terrible job, slowly got sent out less and less.
So don't get there early, always use a light weight trolley (especially for more then ones days mail), don't rush with prepping and tying up. Always tell management BEFORE typing up that you'll do your best, but you're not committed to finishing, and you want to work to your contracted hours.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12185
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: What is the actual rule

Post by SpacePhoenix »

If you travel to work by car, you can't drive to another office that isn't your regular one. Many car insurance polices will only cover you to your REGULAR place of work
Wolf91
Posts: 506
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: What is the actual rule

Post by Wolf91 »

mattick wrote: ↑
29 Aug 2022, 17:04
Years and years ago I was sent to different offices, I knew that when I got there, I'd be doing the cr*p that management couldn't cover on overtime. In the end I just started doing a terrible job, slowly got sent out less and less.
So don't get there early, always use a light weight trolley (especially for more then ones days mail), don't rush with prepping and tying up. Always tell management BEFORE typing up that you'll do your best, but you're not committed to finishing, and you want to work to your contracted hours.
They did it to me the first Christmas I joined for a few week. Started at my office at MY start time, got them to provide me a van to drive to said office (refused to use my own vehicle). Took a break when I was there, did the work but didn’t rush, got back to the office in time to pouch off and then also accommodate travel time back to my home DO for finish time.
In reality I was doing about 1 hour and a half/2 hours work tops.
They soon left me alone.