ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

deduction in wages

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mgcfc89
Posts: 6
Joined: 27 Apr 2022, 19:59
Gender: Male

Re: deduction in wages

Post by mgcfc89 »

I have a deduction “arrears of unpaid absence”, which I’m guessing is Friday’s strike… but it was my rest day. What’s going on? Will they pay it back? I worked Mon, tues, weds, thurs, and sat (today) this week.
kazardaimenu
Posts: 1391
Joined: 13 Apr 2022, 19:11
Gender: Male

Re: deduction in wages

Post by kazardaimenu »

mgcfc89 wrote: ↑
28 Aug 2022, 00:13
I have a deduction “arrears of unpaid absence”, which I’m guessing is Friday’s strike… but it was my rest day. What’s going on? Will they pay it back? I worked Mon, tues, weds, thurs, and sat (today) this week.
Probably get it back in 6 months… imagine if the strike breakers have had it deducted as well :chuckle :Boo hoo!
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: deduction in wages

Post by mjd24 »

sindba wrote: ↑
27 Aug 2022, 22:11
Talbot100 wrote: ↑
27 Aug 2022, 20:18
So I should have been paid £639.32 but was paid £575.19. This was Before tax?! Is that the strike day taken off? What a mess
Jesus christ, how much overtime are you doing? 30 hours?

I couldn't work 70 ish hours a week personally, so well done you!

Great first post btw, welcome to the Postal Workers Forum
There are psychotic speedsters in my DO doubling up multiple days a week getting paid till 9pm most days but home by 3pm.

Good luck to them i say, incredibly physically straining to be doing what they do. Also crazy.
jessicarabbit
Posts: 619
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 19:57
Gender: Female

Re: deduction in wages

Post by jessicarabbit »

Also fraudulently claiming money. Ghosting should result in dismissal of employee and manager signing it off.
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: deduction in wages

Post by mjd24 »

jessicarabbit wrote: ↑
28 Aug 2022, 09:03
Also fraudulently claiming money. Ghosting should result in dismissal of employee and manager signing it off.
I sort of switch my thinking on it every now and then. Its certainly not a straightforward issue. I know some will say yes it is and you should just be paid the hours you work. Yes that does sound like the obvious and right thing, but … if youre doing twice as much work should you not get twice as much pay? No matter how long it takes you. But then in a way that discriminates against those less able to run around and do that so, i can see both sides.
Davegoldi
Posts: 9
Joined: 26 Apr 2013, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: deduction in wages

Post by Davegoldi »

walk log and duty times were worked out by royal mail, all without scanning, collections, taking photos etc taken into account, so if someone can do a couple of walks and finish early thats not the posties fault, old argument of if your covering a full timer then you should be paid there hours regardless of when u finish, 2 rounds = 2 wages. I personally would never be at home if i had to do 2 full duties, they are obviously running around or duties too easy
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: deduction in wages

Post by mjd24 »

Davegoldi wrote: ↑
28 Aug 2022, 09:13
walk log and duty times were worked out by royal mail, all without scanning, collections, taking photos etc taken into account, so if someone can do a couple of walks and finish early thats not the posties fault, old argument of if your covering a full timer then you should be paid there hours regardless of when u finish, 2 rounds = 2 wages. I personally would never be at home if i had to do 2 full duties, they are obviously running around or duties too easy
The duties are not too easy. Some people are just built differently and can somehow get around 2 walks at a seemingly impossible speed for us normal people.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: deduction in wages

Post by Surreypostie »

aiden01 wrote: ↑
27 Aug 2022, 19:36
postieblueshirt wrote: ↑
27 Aug 2022, 19:25
my strike day has been deducted but im wondering why we can view them so early?is it to show how much weve lost before the next strike day is due??
Psp closed at 5pm on fri to update the 2% imposed on us an the backpay on ot an allowances. can't understand why some people have had there strike day taken next week.
Managers had to do that on the day on PSP, if you are in a multi manager office, (some are) then each manager would have to deduct for the staff on their psp. If they had a rest day, obviously they were not there to do it. Some managers were sent out on delivery so they could not do it. It will all catch up eventually, you won't lose any more money, you either lose one day this week or two days next week. You all know you are losing the money if you went on strike. If your manager is on 2 weeks leave then they won't be there to deduct your money for two weeks.. LAst time we went on strike, just one manager was responsible for the whole lot, now they are all responsible for their own staff. Silly idea but it's all about RM making them accountable for spending.
mgcfc89
Posts: 6
Joined: 27 Apr 2022, 19:59
Gender: Male

Re: deduction in wages

Post by mgcfc89 »

I don’t get why I’ve had a strike day deducted when a) it was my rest day, and b) I’m on holiday next week so I essentially shouldn’t lose anything until the September strikes. Surely the system should already have my rest days and holidays filled in.
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: deduction in wages

Post by NWpostie »

Just had a look at mine.

I had arrears of basic pay added then taken away

I'm trying to make sense of it all.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Re: deduction in wages

Post by P13 »

NWpostie wrote: ↑
28 Aug 2022, 14:12
Just had a look at mine.

I had arrears of basic pay added then taken away

I'm trying to make sense of it all.
You had an advance on your pay rise a couple of months ago
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: deduction in wages

Post by rambo1 »

P13 wrote: ↑
28 Aug 2022, 14:34
NWpostie wrote: ↑
28 Aug 2022, 14:12
Just had a look at mine.

I had arrears of basic pay added then taken away

I'm trying to make sense of it all.
You had an advance on your pay rise a couple of months ago
......which was a bog standard estimate. Now it's been corrected to what you actually worked but they add that correct figure at the top and take away the old one at the bottom. The cynical in me suggests that they just want loads of striking posties to see a lot of minus figures on their payslip to scare them from striking.
kazardaimenu
Posts: 1391
Joined: 13 Apr 2022, 19:11
Gender: Male

Re: deduction in wages

Post by kazardaimenu »

jessicarabbit wrote: ↑
28 Aug 2022, 09:03
Also fraudulently claiming money. Ghosting should result in dismissal of employee and manager signing it off.
It balances out given the overtime rate is pretty much the basic rate. If the manager said right do you fancy doing 2 loops for £12 before tax after you've already done a full duty the backlog would soon mount up.
Wolf91
Posts: 506
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: deduction in wages

Post by Wolf91 »

mjd24 wrote: ↑
28 Aug 2022, 08:51
sindba wrote: ↑
27 Aug 2022, 22:11
Talbot100 wrote: ↑
27 Aug 2022, 20:18
So I should have been paid £639.32 but was paid £575.19. This was Before tax?! Is that the strike day taken off? What a mess
Jesus christ, how much overtime are you doing? 30 hours?

I couldn't work 70 ish hours a week personally, so well done you!

Great first post btw, welcome to the Postal Workers Forum
There are psychotic speedsters in my DO doubling up multiple days a week getting paid till 9pm most days but home by 3pm.

Good luck to them i say, incredibly physically straining to be doing what they do. Also crazy.
I sometimes take extra and get paid for longer than it takes. It’s the going rate though pretty much - has to be - to compensate for the measly hourly rate they give as OT. If they paid OT at the same rate other employers did, it wouldn’t be an issue.
There has to be an incentive.
If I were to take out 3 hours work, at standard pay, and they expected me to stay out for 3 hours, do you think anybody would do it? Of course not. Managers/OPG’s both know this, and the former need the work done. I scratch your back and you scratch mine, so to speak.
There’s just a lot of grey area involved… and is rife with discrimination up and down the country.
sussexlad
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
Gender: Male

Re: deduction in wages

Post by sussexlad »

Due to lack of space on your wage slip is your weekly pension deduction listed on there? Any My Bundle deductions listed? If there is no space then that will come under that other payment minus amount.