ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Stage 2 sickness

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
Dave74
Posts: 42
Joined: 05 May 2015, 21:40
Gender: Male

Stage 2 sickness

Post by Dave74 »

Hi, and good afternoon,

I am on stage 2 regarding my work absence and am unsure when the 6 months are up.

Yesterday, was my rest day and I swapped it for today as I had to go to the Dermatology to remove a skin cancer melanoma on my leg.
The surgeon told me to not return to work till next week. I asked for a sick note but she said that my HNS Consent form should cover my absence from work. Will that be true? Also, I will take Saturday off (sick). Will it trigger stage 3?
(I've been at Royal Mail now for over 6 years)
Thank you,

Yours

David
iHateD2Ds
Posts: 548
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33

Re: Stage 2 sickness

Post by iHateD2Ds »

You really don't want to trigger stage 3, speak to your manager and explain your situation they may be understanding and grant you unpaid leave, other than that your job is on the line regarding your stages.

Best of luck.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Stage 2 sickness

Post by clashcityrocker »

If your absence is related to the cancer (a disability) it should be discounted from the attendance procedure.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
doob
Posts: 61
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 21:52
Gender: Male

Re: Stage 2 sickness

Post by doob »

U will only trigger a stage 3 if u have had 2 absences or 1 absence of 10 days since your stage 2 warning was issued. If u are under that then they can’t issue a stage 3. U may want to find out when your stage 2 was issued as its 6 months after if u don’t break the criteria that u will be clear
redlen
Posts: 1348
Joined: 21 Dec 2021, 12:05
Gender: Male

Re: Stage 2 sickness

Post by redlen »

People need to realise that, in reality, there is no stage 3 of the attendance procedure.
It is consideration for dismissal.

Agree with the previous comment about any trigger being discounted as cancer is a protected characteristic disability. Though the rep might need to remind the manager of this with any meeting.

The other thing in your favour is the time off work recommendation is being made by your surgeon, a specialist, and not your GP with no long-term absence. So the manager cannot ignore that course of treatment.

As a last resort, you can ask for unpaid leave or take any outstanding holiday entitlement

Hope you get better quick as you do not need this work worry playing on your mind
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Stage 2 sickness

Post by k979aaa »

Dave74 wrote: ↑
25 Aug 2022, 15:55
Hi, and good afternoon,

I am on stage 2 regarding my work absence and am unsure when the 6 months are up.

Yesterday, was my rest day and I swapped it for today as I had to go to the Dermatology to remove a skin cancer melanoma on my leg.
The surgeon told me to not return to work till next week. I asked for a sick note but she said that my HNS Consent form should cover my absence from work. Will that be true? Also, I will take Saturday off (sick). Will it trigger stage 3?
(I've been at Royal Mail now for over 6 years)
Thank you,

Yours

David
If it does state why you had to have the time of and it's urgency 1 in 3 people get cancer and most people know someone with it get it in the notes of the interview best bet your union rep with you. If you get a stage 3 or RTU Reason To Urge you out of the business it will go before a very high manager if it goes against you ie sacked. You can appeal it or take it to court if it gets this far and you say what has been said here and can back it up most probably will win in court so I would say RM would not take it to court but it is better never to be on any stages unless you are an actor!