ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
What's a good, short and sweet way to convince someone who doesn't plan on staying at RM to join the union?
-
cheerful
- Posts: 90
- Joined: 29 Jun 2016, 21:30
- Gender: Male
What's a good, short and sweet way to convince someone who doesn't plan on staying at RM to join the union?
The postie next to me is doing a course and doesn't plan to be a postie more than a couple more years.
We have a small amount of chatter while prepping, but don't share a van.
He's a fast worker, fairly quiet, but just doesn't see his future here.
He's indifferent to what happens at work, and doesn't care who the DOM is, what the line manager thinks, what happens with attendance reviews or walk signings.
Are there any quick, good points to mention that could convince him to join up? I think I'd struggle to get him in a proper conversation about the union, so it'd need to be quick points that'd hopefully stick in his head.
We have a small amount of chatter while prepping, but don't share a van.
He's a fast worker, fairly quiet, but just doesn't see his future here.
He's indifferent to what happens at work, and doesn't care who the DOM is, what the line manager thinks, what happens with attendance reviews or walk signings.
Are there any quick, good points to mention that could convince him to join up? I think I'd struggle to get him in a proper conversation about the union, so it'd need to be quick points that'd hopefully stick in his head.
-
jessicarabbit
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 19:57
- Gender: Female
Re: What's a good, short and sweet way to convince someone who doesn't plan on staying at RM to join the union?
Don't do it for us. Do it to stick it to the man. Get him to watch the #enoughisenough campaign. Time for the working man to rise up!
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: What's a good, short and sweet way to convince someone who doesn't plan on staying at RM to join the union?
If he has no interest in staying why worry about him joining union.cheerful wrote: ↑19 Aug 2022, 21:38The postie next to me is doing a course and doesn't plan to be a postie more than a couple more years.
We have a small amount of chatter while prepping, but don't share a van.
He's a fast worker, fairly quiet, but just doesn't see his future here.
He's indifferent to what happens at work, and doesn't care who the DOM is, what the line manager thinks, what happens with attendance reviews or walk signings.
Are there any quick, good points to mention that could convince him to join up? I think I'd struggle to get him in a proper conversation about the union, so it'd need to be quick points that'd hopefully stick in his head.
-
hans solo
- Posts: 3291
- Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
- Gender: Male
Re: What's a good, short and sweet way to convince someone who doesn't plan on staying at RM to join the union?
Just tell him they will come for him eventually
Wherever he is and whoever he works for
Wherever he is and whoever he works for
-
noggin1969
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
- Gender: Male
Re: What's a good, short and sweet way to convince someone who doesn't plan on staying at RM to join the union?
A lot of people join not intending to stop, many years later they're still here. It's an insurance policy if nothing else.
-
Cazlew
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 04 Jul 2021, 17:51
- Gender: Female
- Location: Scotland
Re: What's a good, short and sweet way to convince someone who doesn't plan on staying at RM to join the union?
I didn't start out like this but now im of the same attitude. Just here for a fitness kick and a few quid. The way I've been treated, messed about with days off, unwelcome feeling from full time staff. Everyone is out for themselves but that's because how the company operates. I reckon most part timers are feeling the same. However this will be reflected in the work we do and cutting corners, not following procedures and generally no fcuks given. I'm a member because I know at some point I'm going to be pulled up based on this. For 100 or so quid a year its probably going to pay for itself. 
-
WalkerX
- Posts: 432
- Joined: 20 Feb 2021, 22:31
- Gender: Male
Re: What's a good, short and sweet way to convince someone who doesn't plan on staying at RM to join the union?
I joined because I`m looking at the broader picture. It`s no co-incidence that workers planning to strike, mostly work for ex-nationalised companies that have been privatised and driven into the ground. The government seem to have made a concerted effort to get the management of all these companies to push the workforce to the limit. If we don`t fight back, they will come for all of us , one by one.Cazlew wrote: ↑20 Aug 2022, 15:07I didn't start out like this but now im of the same attitude. Just here for a fitness kick and a few quid. The way I've been treated, messed about with days off, unwelcome feeling from full time staff. Everyone is out for themselves but that's because how the company operates. I reckon most part timers are feeling the same. However this will be reflected in the work we do and cutting corners, not following procedures and generally no fcuks given. I'm a member because I know at some point I'm going to be pulled up based on this. For 100 or so quid a year its probably going to pay for itself.![]()
-
barcajr
- Posts: 168
- Joined: 12 Oct 2009, 01:04
- Gender: Male
Re: What's a good, short and sweet way to convince someone who doesn't plan on staying at RM to join the union?
A lot of the new starters say the same, plan only to stay with RM until they find something better. I said the same when I started with RM, having been made redundant from my previous job, but thirty two years later am still at RM, so who knows how long will newish starters actually stay with RM
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16709
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: What's a good, short and sweet way to convince someone who doesn't plan on staying at RM to join the union?
Can the working women rise up as well?jessicarabbit wrote: ↑19 Aug 2022, 22:13Don't do it for us. Do it to stick it to the man. Get him to watch the #enoughisenough campaign. Time for the working man to rise up!
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
kookoo32
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 10 Oct 2008, 20:34
- Gender: Male
- Location: scotland
Re: What's a good, short and sweet way to convince someone who doesn't plan on staying at RM to join the union?
We have a not so similar situation at our place.
We’ve a few people not in the union due to bad experiences with our last rep (ended up with some members coming out of the union) I’ve got one to change his mind and join but the others aren’t for shifting. It’s frustrating for me as they are exactly the type of people you’d want in your corner. Have to be careful as I don’t want to come across as trying to force anyone into it.
We’ve a few people not in the union due to bad experiences with our last rep (ended up with some members coming out of the union) I’ve got one to change his mind and join but the others aren’t for shifting. It’s frustrating for me as they are exactly the type of people you’d want in your corner. Have to be careful as I don’t want to come across as trying to force anyone into it.
-
Kenfandango
- Posts: 694
- Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 16:40
- Gender: Male
Re: What's a good, short and sweet way to convince someone who doesn't plan on staying at RM to join the union?
New starters are already as close to the "unacceptable" terms we are fighting against now as it's possible to get, and as a part timer I'm slightly concerned that any pay increase we fight for will be offset by RM stopping those on less than full time hours getting called in early.
Add to that the fact that the introduction video when I started had Terry erroneously declaring the CWU was "just £10 a week" (which was changed late last year, according to our rep) I can see why it's off-putting.
Add to that the fact that the introduction video when I started had Terry erroneously declaring the CWU was "just £10 a week" (which was changed late last year, according to our rep) I can see why it's off-putting.
-
GRS
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
- Gender: Female
- Location: South West
Re: What's a good, short and sweet way to convince someone who doesn't plan on staying at RM to join the union?
Even if you are only at RM for a short time you may need the unions help. There's no guarantee something won't happen to someone only in the business for 2 years as opposed to someone here for 42 years. If someone mentions to me they're not in the union instead of going down the standing together route or the benefits the union get us I usually put it to them that as they are out delivering in van there is a likelihood they could be involved in an accident. Then I go on to say "god forbid you run an old dear or child over, even if you're blameless how are you going to defend yourself? It'll cost you thousands!!!! Whereas if you join the union you have instant access to legal representation". That usually puts the wind up em and before you know it they're asking the rep how to join!
-
Clappedoutpostie
- Posts: 1264
- Joined: 05 Nov 2021, 21:46
- Gender: Male
Re: What's a good, short and sweet way to convince someone who doesn't plan on staying at RM to join the union?
I would say there’s more chance of something happening to someone who’s been in less than 2 years compared to someone who’s got 42 years in. It normally involves them trying to hang new starters for not doing something they should have done but never been told they need to do or shown how to do.