ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

what is the benefit of being in the union?

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
dororum
Posts: 4
Joined: 31 Jul 2018, 00:03
Gender: Female

what is the benefit of being in the union?

Post by dororum »

I have just transferred from Angard to RM. I joined the union briefly while with Angard but left as it was totally pointless being in it and agency. Is it better to join or not?
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: what is the benefit of being in the union?

Post by greengiant »

dororum wrote: ↑
15 Aug 2022, 23:13
I have just transferred from Angard to RM. I joined the union briefly while with Angard but left as it was totally pointless being in it and agency. Is it better to join or not?
You are aware that there is industrial action coming up, and you are asking if it's worthwhile to join a union? Good luck trying to negotiate your own pay deal on your own rather than being part of the union...

:d'oh!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: what is the benefit of being in the union?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

dororum wrote: ↑
15 Aug 2022, 23:13
I have just transferred from Angard to RM. I joined the union briefly while with Angard but left as it was totally pointless being in it and agency. Is it better to join or not?
On an individual basis, you will have support from the Union if you are disciplined or subject to unfair treatment from management or an employee. You will also be able to receive updates from the Union though whether you read them is entirely up to you. If you do end up in trouble whilst working for Royal Mail, membership of the Union is not retrospective so you need to be a member, before the issues arise, not become one because of it.
t
However, the biggest benefit of being in the Union is the combined strength and bargaining power of being 1 of 110,000 members of Royal Mail. We could all disagree with where the business is going, but if we hadn't had the union representing our views we would have lost a lot more disputes, our pay would be a lot worse than it is, and our T&Cs would already be worse than what Royal Mail are proposing.

Mainly the benefits of being in a union are intangible, but I would always recommend everyone join one.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
redlen
Posts: 1348
Joined: 21 Dec 2021, 12:05
Gender: Male

Re: what is the benefit of being in the union?

Post by redlen »

Being a union member is equivalent to a pint down the pub each week or a McDonalds. Consider it an insurance policy that you might never need.

The CWU has its faults, but better than zero representation in the workplace. You only have to look at how they treat Amazon workers in the UK.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: what is the benefit of being in the union?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Sometimes you get a mug or a pen.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3724
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Re: what is the benefit of being in the union?

Post by yellowbelly »

Or a water bottle
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: what is the benefit of being in the union?

Post by Woody Guthrie »

clashcityrocker wrote: ↑
16 Aug 2022, 14:00
Sometimes you get a mug
You can but that's democracy for you.
Only dead fish follow the current
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: what is the benefit of being in the union?

Post by Woody Guthrie »

I was through at a meeting at the branch last week and they had a buffet.

It seemed rather bourgeois to me so I didn't partake.

Judging by the average weight in the room most of the others shouldn't have either.

Full release syndrome is the medical term I think.
Only dead fish follow the current
Hyrrokkin
Posts: 878
Joined: 24 Nov 2021, 18:17
Gender: Male

Re: what is the benefit of being in the union?

Post by Hyrrokkin »

Benefit of being in the union

I get a union strap/plastic card holder to carry my ID card

:cool
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Re: what is the benefit of being in the union?

Post by enskied »

It's a comparatively small fee to pay should you end up in bother, to have someone or should I say everyone to have your back.

There are a lot of inadequate Managers in delivery offices. They would rather turn the scree than take a pragmatic approach.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: what is the benefit of being in the union?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
16 Aug 2022, 15:59
I was through at a meeting at the branch last week and they had a buffet.

It seemed rather bourgeois to me so I didn't partake.

Judging by the average weight in the room most of the others shouldn't have either.

Full release syndrome is the medical term I think.
I think the CWU "Do Good Food" :whistle

Our Unit Rep is a good lad but he always goes on about how Great the Food is whenever he goes away to courses or confrences. :thumbup I said to him you should be a Fatter Bastard than me the way you pack away the nosh! :cuppa
Last edited by Dorset Plodder on 17 Aug 2022, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: what is the benefit of being in the union?

Post by daveyeff »

Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
16 Aug 2022, 15:59
I was through at a meeting at the branch last week and they had a buffet.

It seemed rather bourgeois to me so I didn't partake.

Judging by the average weight in the room most of the others shouldn't have either.

Full release syndrome is the medical term I think.
fat c***s is the layman's.
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Re: what is the benefit of being in the union?

Post by General Mannerheim »

Occasionally all us reps in our division, we all go out for a succulent chinese meal.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
Smir
Posts: 124
Joined: 31 Aug 2016, 16:48
Gender: Male

Re: what is the benefit of being in the union?

Post by Smir »

I've moved office recently and the Union is utter crap here, no point being in it, just a bunch of yes men, to the managers, apparently its well known that you go from union rep into management in this DO? extremely wrong.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: what is the benefit of being in the union?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Smir wrote: ↑
17 Aug 2022, 00:54
I've moved office recently and the Union is utter crap here, no point being in it, just a bunch of yes men, to the managers, apparently its well known that you go from union rep into management in this DO? extremely wrong.
Put your name down when the next re-election comes along .... YOU could make a difference Smir! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)