ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Could I get some advice please (training agency staff for when we strike)
-
Dave235
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 12 Aug 2022, 02:30
- Gender: Male
Could I get some advice please (training agency staff for when we strike)
My job is LAT’s. Today I was informed that an agency worker was coming to “help” me. I was told to show them what to do and look after them (they had never worked at our office before) as my manager was too busy. I now know that I do not have to show them what to do as I am not a workplace coach nor do I get paid their wages and that I won’t get in trouble for not showing them what to do. I also now know that agency staff are now being brought in to get used to doing the job ready for when we strike. I have also been told that 2 other agency workers are going to be coming in and taking parcels to deliver (from MY job, LAT’s!) this means that with 4 of us doing my job for at least the rest of this week I am no longer going to be able to get any overtime while these agency staff are around. I was told by a union rep earlier that apparently agency workers are not allowed to take overtime from Royal Mail employees so I was just wondering where I stand? Do I have to let these agency workers keep taking all my parcels so that I barely have a job to do and lose potential overtime? My manager is insisting that they are to take half of my parcels or if not then the worker has to come with me in the van to see how I do everything so that they know how to do it on their own when the time comes. I don’t want an agency worker in the van with me and I don’t want them taking my work and potential overtime off of me. I just want to do my job (all of it) and be able to get overtime if it is available instead of having to give my work to an agency worker. Is there anything I can do? Thank you
Last edited by Dave235 on 12 Aug 2022, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
-
ted_e_bear
- Posts: 4109
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Could I get some advice please
I had a feeling this was coming, basically they want you/us to train the agency staff to do our jobs when we strike and then they'll be setup for the future maybe RM even forcing in the parcel hub operation.
Sorry I don't have any decent advice but I'm sure one of the members in the know will comment soon.
Oh maybe edit your title to include being asked to train agency or similar if you can change it.
Sorry I don't have any decent advice but I'm sure one of the members in the know will comment soon.
Oh maybe edit your title to include being asked to train agency or similar if you can change it.
Last edited by ted_e_bear on 12 Aug 2022, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
-
hans solo
- Posts: 3285
- Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Could I get some advice please (training agency staff for when we strike)
It’s workplace coach job to train new starts
You don’t have to
They may offer you % of wpc allowance
£5 per day to train someone
I wouldn’t do it
They also threaten you with the moving off duty
Whilst some else coaches them so be it
You don’t have to
They may offer you % of wpc allowance
£5 per day to train someone
I wouldn’t do it
They also threaten you with the moving off duty
Whilst some else coaches them so be it
-
redlen
- Posts: 1348
- Joined: 21 Dec 2021, 12:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Could I get some advice please (training agency staff for when we strike)
You need to ask yourself some serious questions about refusing to train this agency worker. It is not their fault for you to take out your frustrations on.
Even though you are not a WPC, you are totally familiar with what the duty entails, so is it reasonable to refuse a manager's request during contracted hours? You could face a conduct charge in declining that request.
Fully support your view that agency workers will be used to break any indstrial action and that is the lowest of the low and not nice, but that is the law now
It is the times we live in, so do not put your own position in jeopardy.
Do what they say but hold your head high, it is only currently one day a week and hopefully Royal Mail will come to their senses pretty quick and get back around the table
Even though you are not a WPC, you are totally familiar with what the duty entails, so is it reasonable to refuse a manager's request during contracted hours? You could face a conduct charge in declining that request.
Fully support your view that agency workers will be used to break any indstrial action and that is the lowest of the low and not nice, but that is the law now
It is the times we live in, so do not put your own position in jeopardy.
Do what they say but hold your head high, it is only currently one day a week and hopefully Royal Mail will come to their senses pretty quick and get back around the table
-
exetererica
- Posts: 152
- Joined: 07 Nov 2010, 11:21
- Gender: Male
Re: Could I get some advice please (training agency staff for when we strike)
.
Last edited by exetererica on 29 Aug 2022, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
-
CharlesG
- Posts: 180
- Joined: 20 May 2021, 20:09
- Gender: Male
Re: Could I get some advice please (training agency staff for when we strike)
I’d enjoy taking them out with me. Would be a rewarding challenge informing them reasons why we are taking industrial action and trying to make them see company they are trying to be employed by. Would be even better and fulfilling if i persuaded them it was right not to cross the picket line. 
-
Dave235
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 12 Aug 2022, 02:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Could I get some advice please (training agency staff for when we strike)
Thank you very much for your replies
it has all been sorted and the agency workers have been moved to another office as it has been agreed that it is not fair for them to be taking my work off of me.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH