ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

60 next year, & 33 years service

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6700
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: 60 next year, & 33 years service

Post by RobertT »

Personally I've planned for years to leave RM in 2023, also around the end of the financial year. Which will make me 55 years old with 36 years service.
Although with RM wanting to rip up our terms and conditions, I may be tempted to jump ship a bit earlier? :hmmmm

For me, it's never been a case of trying to retire as soon as possible, because I probably could have gone a few years ago if I'd really wanted to. Nor is it a case of getting as much money as possible, or I wouldn't even be contemplating leaving.

It's more a case of trying to get the balance right and doing what's best for me, both in money terms and life terms. And what's right for me isn't necessarily going to be right for someone else!

Having a job gives you more than just money. It also fills a lot of time, gives you a purpose in life and gives you a certain amount of social interaction. So if you haven't got other things to fill the void left by work, it can cause problems for some people.

There's more to work than RM and there's more to life than work. Make the right decision for you!

Good luck.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: 60 next year, & 33 years service

Post by k979aaa »

RobertT wrote: ↑
06 Aug 2022, 19:36
Personally I've planned for years to leave RM in 2023, also around the end of the financial year. Which will make me 55 years old with 36 years service.
Although with RM wanting to rip up our terms and conditions, I may be tempted to jump ship a bit earlier? :hmmmm

For me, it's never been a case of trying to retire as soon as possible, because I probably could have gone a few years ago if I'd really wanted to. Nor is it a case of getting as much money as possible, or I wouldn't even be contemplating leaving.

It's more a case of trying to get the balance right and doing what's best for me, both in money terms and life terms. And what's right for me isn't necessarily going to be right for someone else!

Having a job gives you more than just money. It also fills a lot of time, gives you a purpose in life and gives you a certain amount of social interaction. So if you haven't got other things to fill the void left by work, it can cause problems for some people.

There's more to work than RM and there's more to life than work. Make the right decision for you!

Good luck.
I agree but we are not just fighting RM but the whole corrupt system a pension will not go far with rampant inflation whilst others get big bonuses for our labour £153,000 anyone!
onejontwo
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 82
Joined: 16 Apr 2012, 17:08
Gender: Male

Re: 60 next year, & 33 years service

Post by onejontwo »

Postmangit wrote: ↑
06 Aug 2022, 17:16
Can I ask a personal question to the ones who have left & also answered my original message? We’re you financially ok to leave at the time you did, or was it a case of, bite the bullet & see regardless? Thanks
I retired 18 months ago and still have to wait just under a year for my state pension. I was p*ssed off with the job, so applied for my pension figures and worked out that after tightening my belt and working to a budget for the remaining years to state pension, I could enjoy lie-ins, stay in when it's p*ssing down, rest my aching limbs, go wherever and whenever I wanted to and not have to prep D2D's anymore! Best decision I ever made.
borders
Posts: 1304
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 09:10

Re: 60 next year, & 33 years service

Post by borders »

What is there not to like Onejontwo !! :Applause
"why should it just be the bankers, politicians and the idle rich who get all the best things ? we demand a standard of living for our members that enables them to share in the fine wines and times that the likes of Cameron and his Eton buddies take for granted " - the late great Bob Crow RIP.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: 60 next year, & 33 years service

Post by k979aaa »

onejontwo wrote: ↑
06 Aug 2022, 20:29
Postmangit wrote: ↑
06 Aug 2022, 17:16
Can I ask a personal question to the ones who have left & also answered my original message? We’re you financially ok to leave at the time you did, or was it a case of, bite the bullet & see regardless? Thanks
I retired 18 months ago and still have to wait just under a year for my state pension. I was p*ssed off with the job, so applied for my pension figures and worked out that after tightening my belt and working to a budget for the remaining years to state pension, I could enjoy lie-ins, stay in when it's p*ssing down, rest my aching limbs, go wherever and whenever I wanted to and not have to prep D2D's anymore! Best decision I ever made.
I am personally glad for you but most cannot do what you have done. The only thing I ask is that you support us by posts nothing more which you have done this job ain't easy. I wish you a happy retirement by the way!
Sputters
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 112
Joined: 28 Apr 2017, 22:17
Gender: Male

Re: 60 next year, & 33 years service

Post by Sputters »

If you can afford it leave now. Go soon
At least in the next few months before things get to bad ,. there will be no vr ,
. The job is getting worse , and anything rm want to do they will eventually get . I'm going next month .age 62 have no mortgage or debts ,. No idea what I'm going to do with myself but it has got to be better than being in this toxic job .
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Re: 60 next year, & 33 years service

Post by fly-catchers »

I left just over 20 months ago at 63. Now I can spend time tending my long neglected (because of work) plants which has always been a passion of mine. Go for strolls through my nearby countryside and do trips to London. My only regret is not going even earlier as my knees still haven't recovered from the pounding of endless deliveries! This job destroys your body and judging from these planned changes that damage will get even worse. A good job turned into a nightmare! Get out and never look back! :nana
priority102
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 520
Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:57
Gender: Female

Re: 60 next year, & 33 years service

Post by priority102 »

Postmangit wrote: ↑
06 Aug 2022, 17:16
Can I ask a personal question to the ones who have left & also answered my original message? We’re you financially ok to leave at the time you did, or was it a case of, bite the bullet & see regardless? Thanks
I could have managed just on my work pension (no mortgage or debt/kids left home) but as I didn't want to finish work completely I went part time with another firm, 4 hours a day Mon-Fri, no weekends, no needing to book holidays a year in advance, no working Saturdays on a bank holiday weekend, nice working atmosphere etc. Either way I would have left, as I said, you really do not realise how the toxic carry on eats into you until you are out of it. Yes it was a hard decision but once you've walked out of that gate for the last time you only look forward, not back.
Last edited by priority102 on 07 Aug 2022, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
Mick100
Posts: 275
Joined: 04 Feb 2016, 10:00
Gender: Male

Re: 60 next year, & 33 years service

Post by Mick100 »

Take your pension and try get a job a couple of days a week to top up your pension if need be that’s what I’m planning was a great job sadly no more
Postmangit
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 85
Joined: 07 Nov 2014, 11:30
Gender: Male

Re: 60 next year, & 33 years service

Post by Postmangit »

Thanks guys.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: 60 next year, & 33 years service

Post by k979aaa »

What are you interests you could get paid an it be a hobby.