ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Strong rumour 22,000 agency incoming.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
emu72
Posts: 105
Joined: 11 Feb 2011, 16:52
Gender: Male

Re: Strong rumour 22,000 agency incoming.

Post by emu72 »

If the agency staff at our office are anything to go by then rm will be making things worse for the customers.parcels thrown over fences,left on doorsteps,undelivered mail.
mattick
Posts: 117
Joined: 26 Nov 2019, 21:28
Gender: Male

Re: Strong rumour 22,000 agency incoming.

Post by mattick »

If this is true I think it will be an expensive painful mistake for Simon. I know I’m peddling a stereotype, but casual workers are not always the greatest workers (though some are exceptional) in most cases, or cheap ones at that.

But in fairness to them why would they, most are treated like garbage, underpaid, and have no job security. Management told me once the agencies charge £20 per hour (figure maybe higher now) for their services. How many casuals did I see extend over their time just to make a few extra quid.

I expect to see a high turnover with any casual workforce. With 3 million job vacancies unfilled, good luck getting close to recruiting that small army. The cheaper option would be to give us a better pay deal!
Kenfandango
Posts: 694
Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 16:40
Gender: Male

Re: Strong rumour 22,000 agency incoming.

Post by Kenfandango »

We got told last week that we couldn't have any overtime unless we go over our time for a "legitimate reason" (meaning taking extra tracked, or multiple days mail,) each claim needs prearrangement with a manager who'll tell you how much time they think you can do it in (I had 3 days mail yesterday and was told to take it all as the COM thought I could finish in time.)
This is, apparently, because the depot has been told by those above that "PDA data shows there's 250 spare hours a week from people coming back early." I don't know if the fact I never get my PDA til 9ish means I'm flagged up as "not at work" for those hours, but it seems a pretty slapdash way of doing things.

Oh, and all this week we've had 10-12 agency staff doing the work we'd normally take out for a few extra hours, for a considerably higher cost (financially and reputationally) than just letting us have a few quid.

It's almost like they're taunting us
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Re: Strong rumour 22,000 agency incoming.

Post by number one »

Kenfandango wrote: ↑
05 Aug 2022, 15:24
We got told last week that we couldn't have any overtime unless we go over our time for a "legitimate reason" (meaning taking extra tracked, or multiple days mail,) each claim needs prearrangement with a manager who'll tell you how much time they think you can do it in (I had 3 days mail yesterday and was told to take it all as the COM thought I could finish in time.)
This is, apparently, because the depot has been told by those above that "PDA data shows there's 250 spare hours a week from people coming back early." I don't know if the fact I never get my PDA til 9ish means I'm flagged up as "not at work" for those hours, but it seems a pretty slapdash way of doing things.

Oh, and all this week we've had 10-12 agency staff doing the work we'd normally take out for a few extra hours, for a considerably higher cost (financially and reputationally) than just letting us have a few quid.

It's almost like they're taunting us
What work has the agency been doing? So they say you are overspending by 250hrs a week so their solution is to put MORE staff in?
TOWER1
Posts: 95
Joined: 24 Sep 2019, 16:05
Gender: Male

Re: Strong rumour 22,000 agency incoming.

Post by TOWER1 »

Question...

Are the agency staff employed by Anguard?

Probably not 100% exclusively....

Anguard part of the RM group.

"Wooden dollars".

They can pay them less than an OPG.

No money leaving RM group.

Am I wrong here?

Stand to be corrected.
xPandabear1992x
Posts: 286
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Strong rumour 22,000 agency incoming.

Post by xPandabear1992x »

ted_e_bear wrote: ↑
03 Aug 2022, 19:21
xPandabear1992x wrote: ↑
03 Aug 2022, 19:19
Had about 15 at ours this afternoon.
What were they doing, mind you if it was their 1st day that prob won't mean anything.
All stood around one of the linos being trained.

Today they were out doing LATs
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Strong rumour 22,000 agency incoming.

Post by k979aaa »

I guess that is why we are losing £1 Million a day who would have thought they would factor in this equation before paying the agency or the staff if they do eventually get paid!
salam1021
Posts: 2
Joined: 12 Apr 2021, 00:23
Gender: Male

Re: Strong rumour 22,000 agency incoming.

Post by salam1021 »

Worked as agency since beginning of 2021. Worked hard got overtime for collections and Never complained about the work and always done what was needed sometimes more but still treated like sh*t was and recently let go over a little accident.
postie73
Posts: 14
Joined: 07 Sep 2008, 15:05
Gender: Male

Re: Strong rumour 22,000 agency incoming.

Post by postie73 »

2yearpostie wrote: ↑
31 Jul 2022, 14:09
Genuine question.

If the job is that s**t now and youve all noticed there are other places to work, why do you stay?
Believe you, me, I would hand in my notice right this minute if the chance presented itself.
ziggypig
Posts: 15
Joined: 11 Sep 2017, 21:39
Gender: Male

Re: Strong rumour 22,000 agency incoming.

Post by ziggypig »

k979aaa wrote: ↑
06 Aug 2022, 00:21
I guess that is why we are losing £1 Million a day who would have thought they would factor in this equation before paying the agency or the staff if they do eventually get paid!
we are not losing 1 million a day. that's outrageous hyperbole. revenue is down 1 million a day - completely different kettle of fish.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16709
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Strong rumour 22,000 agency incoming.

Post by clashcityrocker »

ziggypig wrote: ↑
06 Aug 2022, 21:14

we are not losing 1 million a day. that's outrageous hyperbole. revenue is down 1 million a day - completely different kettle of fish.
I think they reported that in the first 3 months of this financial year RM (UK) lost 90 million pounds.
Misrepresenting the financial position would be a criminal offence. I don't think they would risk that.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Strong rumour 22,000 agency incoming.

Post by k979aaa »

ziggypig wrote: ↑
06 Aug 2022, 21:14
k979aaa wrote: ↑
06 Aug 2022, 00:21
I guess that is why we are losing £1 Million a day who would have thought they would factor in this equation before paying the agency or the staff if they do eventually get paid!
we are not losing 1 million a day. that's outrageous hyperbole. revenue is down 1 million a day - completely different kettle of fish.
Managerial incompetence and would be a factor!
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: Strong rumour 22,000 agency incoming.

Post by Woody Guthrie »

clashcityrocker wrote: ↑
06 Aug 2022, 21:31
I think they reported that in the first 3 months of this financial year RM (UK) lost 90 million pounds.
Misrepresenting the financial position would be a criminal offence. I don't think they would risk that.
They may not be misrepresenting the facts but they are obviously choosing to promote a narrative that isn't true.

The picture they are painting is that this is an ongoing position and without change by the end of 12 months we will have lost at least £365 million, this simply isn't true.

The first 3 months of the tax year are normally when revenues are low and when one off costs are applied to the accounts, things like bulk uniform purchases,building lease payments, vehicle procurement, even as we've seen managerial bonuses and share issues.

Like turkey farmers the bulk of our annual revenue and therefore profit is loaded onto the second half of the tax year so while it's not technically a lie to say we've lost £1 million a day in that period it is a false narrative to pretend that this is an accurate picture of the ongoing financial health of the company.
Only dead fish follow the current
Mickeybrowneyes
Posts: 422
Joined: 12 Sep 2021, 06:18
Gender: Male

Re: Strong rumour 22,000 agency incoming.

Post by Mickeybrowneyes »

I wonder if they have factored in the millions they have paid off managers with too.... must be hitting near 100 mill alone
Clappedoutpostie
Posts: 1264
Joined: 05 Nov 2021, 21:46
Gender: Male

Re: Strong rumour 22,000 agency incoming.

Post by Clappedoutpostie »

Mickeybrowneyes wrote: ↑
07 Aug 2022, 07:07
I wonder if they have factored in the millions they have paid off managers with too.... must be hitting near 100 mill alone
I think they quoted £80m, but yes it will now be more as they are having to put managers back in. Woody is spot on as always.