ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Feeling isolated

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3220
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by Acca Dacca »

Bingsmith wrote: ↑
15 Jul 2022, 17:04
scoobydo79 wrote: ↑
15 Jul 2022, 15:41
Everyone should be speaking English in your work environment. Report it if they do not.
Thank you, nice to feel I have some understanding and support. I have reported it but it makes no difference I’m told different things. Even the manager speaks in ‘their’ language and I ask repeatedly for instructions in English. Is there any clear instructions about this within RM or is it just etiquette?
Wait, your manager gives YOU instructions in 'their' language?

What language is this exactly?

Im half expecting you to say they are all Scottish now :shock:
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by aiden01 »

Acca Dacca wrote: ↑
15 Jul 2022, 23:27
Bingsmith wrote: ↑
15 Jul 2022, 17:04
scoobydo79 wrote: ↑
15 Jul 2022, 15:41
Everyone should be speaking English in your work environment. Report it if they do not.
Thank you, nice to feel I have some understanding and support. I have reported it but it makes no difference I’m told different things. Even the manager speaks in ‘their’ language and I ask repeatedly for instructions in English. Is there any clear instructions about this within RM or is it just etiquette?
Wait, your manager gives YOU instructions in 'their' language?

What language is this exactly?

Im half expecting you to say they are all Scottish now :shock:
Lolol
nutcracker
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 251
Joined: 25 Mar 2020, 01:00
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by nutcracker »

I’ve worked under the same themes expressed by the OP. Whether it’s just the exclusion from general conversation or the more sinister bullying, it’s unpleasant to continually be around for 7-8 hours a day….so you have my sympathies.

On the flip side it’s not much fun to spend 8 hours a day communicating in a 2nd language so I understand why staff would revert to their native language.

In my experience the majority of managers are useless on most issues so I wouldn’t bother.

The only remedy for the OP will be to move work area for their duty permanently. A conversation with a shift manager that involves work stress and avoiding sick leave will suffice.

Unfortunately for SA + overtime beggars can’t be choosers, your grievance will not be entertained by anyone. You’ll have to choose more wisely what you put your name down for or look to top up your income with a part time job.

Anything else will just prolong your stress.
Beanyjazz wrote: ↑
23 Nov 2023, 08:35
'Look at me Mummy, I made £25, and it only cost me 1 knee'. Get a life.
Bingsmith
Posts: 54
Joined: 08 Jan 2014, 20:02
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by Bingsmith »

Acca Dacca wrote: ↑
15 Jul 2022, 23:27
Bingsmith wrote: ↑
15 Jul 2022, 17:04
scoobydo79 wrote: ↑
15 Jul 2022, 15:41
Everyone should be speaking English in your work environment. Report it if they do not.
Thank you, nice to feel I have some understanding and support. I have reported it but it makes no difference I’m told different things. Even the manager speaks in ‘their’ language and I ask repeatedly for instructions in English. Is there any clear instructions about this within RM or is it just etiquette?
Wait, your manager gives YOU instructions in 'their' language?

What language is this exactly?

Im half expecting you to say they are all Scottish now :shock:
Manager is Asian.
Tamil seems to be the language mostly spoken.
Bingsmith
Posts: 54
Joined: 08 Jan 2014, 20:02
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by Bingsmith »

nutcracker wrote: ↑
16 Jul 2022, 01:39
I’ve worked under the same themes expressed by the OP. Whether it’s just the exclusion from general conversation or the more sinister bullying, it’s unpleasant to continually be around for 7-8 hours a day….so you have my sympathies.

On the flip side it’s not much fun to spend 8 hours a day communicating in a 2nd language so I understand why staff would revert to their native language.

In my experience the majority of managers are useless on most issues so I wouldn’t bother.

The only remedy for the OP will be to move work area for their duty permanently. A conversation with a shift manager that involves work stress and avoiding sick leave will suffice.

Unfortunately for SA + overtime beggars can’t be choosers, your grievance will not be entertained by anyone. You’ll have to choose more wisely what you put your name down for or look to top up your income with a part time job.

Anything else will just prolong your stress.
For most English is their first language but the women really are bullies. It’s like being in a school playground. I always try to work by myself now, but this is often not possible.
Bingsmith
Posts: 54
Joined: 08 Jan 2014, 20:02
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by Bingsmith »

Bingsmith wrote: ↑
16 Jul 2022, 08:26
nutcracker wrote: ↑
16 Jul 2022, 01:39
I’ve worked under the same themes expressed by the OP. Whether it’s just the exclusion from general conversation or the more sinister bullying, it’s unpleasant to continually be around for 7-8 hours a day….so you have my sympathies.

On the flip side it’s not much fun to spend 8 hours a day communicating in a 2nd language so I understand why staff would revert to their native language.

In my experience the majority of managers are useless on most issues so I wouldn’t bother.

The only remedy for the OP will be to move work area for their duty permanently. A conversation with a shift manager that involves work stress and avoiding sick leave will suffice.

Unfortunately for SA + overtime beggars can’t be choosers, your grievance will not be entertained by anyone. You’ll have to choose more wisely what you put your name down for or look to top up your income with a part time job.

Anything else will just prolong your stress.
For most English is their first language but the women really are bullies. It’s like being in a school playground. I always try to work by myself now, but this is often not possible. I would rather isolate myself then feel isolated with the language barrier.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2055
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by scoobydo79 »

Bingsmith wrote: ↑
15 Jul 2022, 17:04
scoobydo79 wrote: ↑
15 Jul 2022, 15:41
Everyone should be speaking English in your work environment. Report it if they do not.
Thank you, nice to feel I have some understanding and support. I have reported it but it makes no difference I’m told different things. Even the manager speaks in ‘their’ language and I ask repeatedly for instructions in English. Is there any clear instructions about this within RM or is it just etiquette?
Yes it would be good manners but your boss should know better.You feeling isolated is the very reason this should not be happening. We have lots of contact with each other and our customers so a good knowledge of English is an essential requirement. It could also be argued it makes a better and more productive atmosphere.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3220
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by Acca Dacca »

Bingsmith wrote: ↑
16 Jul 2022, 08:20
Acca Dacca wrote: ↑
15 Jul 2022, 23:27
Bingsmith wrote: ↑
15 Jul 2022, 17:04
scoobydo79 wrote: ↑
15 Jul 2022, 15:41
Everyone should be speaking English in your work environment. Report it if they do not.
Thank you, nice to feel I have some understanding and support. I have reported it but it makes no difference I’m told different things. Even the manager speaks in ‘their’ language and I ask repeatedly for instructions in English. Is there any clear instructions about this within RM or is it just etiquette?
Wait, your manager gives YOU instructions in 'their' language?

What language is this exactly?

Im half expecting you to say they are all Scottish now :shock:
Manager is Asian.
Tamil seems to be the language mostly spoken.
And he speaks to you in Tamil?
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Bingsmith
Posts: 54
Joined: 08 Jan 2014, 20:02
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by Bingsmith »

He gives instructions to the ‘group’ in Tamil yes. I just follow and copy them or ask one of the others what he said. Managers and union don’t really want to be involved.

Oh well off out for the day x
pieoftheday
Posts: 1842
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 16:43
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by pieoftheday »

If your manager talks to the work force in none English, speak up, talk loud and confident " PLEASE SPEAK ENGLISH BOSS" , "NO OFFENCE BUT I DONT UNDERSTAND" you could secretly record him on your phone if and when you take it further
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3220
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by Acca Dacca »

Bingsmith wrote: ↑
16 Jul 2022, 11:32
He gives instructions to the ‘group’ in Tamil yes. I just follow and copy them or ask one of the others what he said. Managers and union don’t really want to be involved.

Oh well off out for the day x
Do nothing and he will soon be speaking to you in English
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
redlen
Posts: 1348
Joined: 21 Dec 2021, 12:05
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by redlen »

pieoftheday wrote: ↑
16 Jul 2022, 11:58
If your manager talks to the work force in none English, speak up, talk loud and confident " PLEASE SPEAK ENGLISH BOSS" , "NO OFFENCE BUT I DONT UNDERSTAND" you could secretly record him on your phone if and when you take it further
You record covertly without authorisation that is a major breach between employer and employee. A major disciplinary unless a protected disclosure
Tman
Posts: 4145
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by Tman »

redlen wrote: ↑
15 Jul 2022, 01:25
Am unsure now if this is a stress issue or a more sinister post.
Will now retire from this thread as it is now making me feel uncomfortable
Poor you. I'm sure the OP feels much better in his situation now you've made it about you. "Sinister" FFS.
Bingsmith
Posts: 54
Joined: 08 Jan 2014, 20:02
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by Bingsmith »

Acca Dacca wrote: ↑
16 Jul 2022, 12:46
Bingsmith wrote: ↑
16 Jul 2022, 11:32
He gives instructions to the ‘group’ in Tamil yes. I just follow and copy them or ask one of the others what he said. Managers and union don’t really want to be involved.

Oh well off out for the day x
Do nothing and he will soon be speaking to you in English
This is very true lol
Bingsmith
Posts: 54
Joined: 08 Jan 2014, 20:02
Gender: Male

Re: Feeling isolated

Post by Bingsmith »

Tman wrote: ↑
16 Jul 2022, 17:07
redlen wrote: ↑
15 Jul 2022, 01:25
Am unsure now if this is a stress issue or a more sinister post.
Will now retire from this thread as it is now making me feel uncomfortable
Poor you. I'm sure the OP feels much better in his situation now you've made it about you. "Sinister" FFS.
Thank you Tman, the post did make me think it must be my problem.