ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Exhausted

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4115
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: Exhausted

Post by ted_e_bear »

Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2022, 19:22
You have to be careful because after a few years you start to overcompensate for the exhaustion by doing f**k all outside of work and consuming too many calories, especially the wrong kind.

You start putting on weight.
You feel more exhausted.
You do less and eat more.
Etc, etc...
Spot on, I remember getting home from work and either decorating for a few hours, painting the fence, giving the car a good valeting, you get the picture, now after work I'm practically forcing myself to spend 20 minutes cutting the grass to keep it neat.

We still try to eat healthily as a family but I'm having a couple of beers in the afternoon these days to help me relax.

Definitely bigger household jobs are reserved for when I'm on leave.
abuch1980
Posts: 226
Joined: 13 Dec 2011, 12:30
Gender: Male

Re: Exhausted

Post by abuch1980 »

ted_e_bear wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2022, 06:30
Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2022, 19:22
You have to be careful because after a few years you start to overcompensate for the exhaustion by doing f**k all outside of work and consuming too many calories, especially the wrong kind.

You start putting on weight.
You feel more exhausted.
You do less and eat more.
Etc, etc...
Exactly this. 👍

Spot on, I remember getting home from work and either decorating for a few hours, painting the fence, giving the car a good valeting, you get the picture, now after work I'm practically forcing myself to spend 20 minutes cutting the grass to keep it neat.

We still try to eat healthily as a family but I'm having a couple of beers in the afternoon these days to help me relax.

Definitely bigger household jobs are reserved for when I'm on leave.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Re: Exhausted

Post by 97gaz »

Foxel wrote: ↑
05 Jul 2022, 14:15


I think people working as a reserve and then to a lesser extent set cover should be paid a little extra, this could incentives senior staff to take up some of these positions and allow new staff to find their feet walking the same beat.
And of course, once you've found your feet walking the same beat for a while, you'll be happy to give it up for a new starter and go back to reserve with no fix days off for the rest of your time at RM?

I was there 23 years and to be honest I used to get really bored doing the same round all the time. Even when I took up a float over five duties, I was happy if the boss asked me to do one I hadn't done for a while.

It is what it is. We all had to start as reserves. Took me about seven years to get a fixed duty. I accept that the workload was less then but at least we knew what day we had off. It was Sunday. 6X 7 hour days.
Tempertrap
Posts: 1
Joined: 03 Dec 2021, 18:41
Gender: Male

Re: Exhausted

Post by Tempertrap »

Been working for about 7 months and I’m the exact same, in my 20s and having to take a nap after work to be able to stay up past 7.
Ruining my social life and hobbies
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: Exhausted

Post by mjd24 »

Tempertrap wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 18:21
Been working for about 7 months and I’m the exact same, in my 20s and having to take a nap after work to be able to stay up past 7.
Ruining my social life and hobbies
Just wait till youre in your 30’s 😂
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16709
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Exhausted

Post by clashcityrocker »

Tempertrap wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 18:21
Been working for about 7 months and I’m the exact same, in my 20s and having to take a nap after work to be able to stay up past 7.
Ruining my social life and hobbies
Don't have a social life or hobbies.
Sorted.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Re: Exhausted

Post by norris9 »

Tempertrap wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 18:21
Been working for about 7 months and I’m the exact same, in my 20s and having to take a nap after work to be able to stay up past 7.
Ruining my social life and hobbies
That's this job for you and the people at the top don't understand this and wouldn't care anyway, they think we should be on below minimum wage...

this job will take a toll on your life when you get home. The aches and pain, the tiredness, going to bed early, not being able to go for walks with loved ones as you already walked 50 miles that week delivering mail.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Exhausted

Post by Dorset Plodder »

mjd24 wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 18:59
Tempertrap wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 18:21
Been working for about 7 months and I’m the exact same, in my 20s and having to take a nap after work to be able to stay up past 7.
Ruining my social life and hobbies
Just wait till youre in your 30’s 😂
Wait until you're your 60s Mucker! :Boo hoo! Roll on Death ... Retirements too far away! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: Exhausted

Post by mjd24 »

Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 22:48
mjd24 wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 18:59
Tempertrap wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 18:21
Been working for about 7 months and I’m the exact same, in my 20s and having to take a nap after work to be able to stay up past 7.
Ruining my social life and hobbies
Just wait till youre in your 30’s 😂
Wait until you're your 60s Mucker! :Boo hoo! Roll on Death ... Retirements too far away! :cuppa
I cant even imagine doing this job in my late 40’s/50’s 😂
Kenfandango
Posts: 694
Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 16:40
Gender: Male

Re: Exhausted

Post by Kenfandango »

I'm almost a year in and I quite like being bounced from route to route... If I'm stuck on one for more than a week, although I can do it quicker, I get bored of it and want a change of scenery!

Re: seniority... we had 3 routes (2 solo rurals, one paired with an absorption so solo most of the time) that came up in January which were snapped up by 3 very senior posties. Management were aware that all 3 were waiting for various operations that would require months off with rehabilitation. 2 of them are now in their 3rd month off, one of them has been put on light duties until her operation. All 3 routes go barely covered, and reserves regularly take 3 days mail and non tracked out when they get put on them. Surely this was predictable and preventable? Even if management said "you're signed on when you're fit, but the person next on the list will take it until then" it would mean a lot less complaints and people moaning on social media about their "lazy" postman they never see....
WalkerX
Posts: 432
Joined: 20 Feb 2021, 22:31
Gender: Male

Re: Exhausted

Post by WalkerX »

norris9 wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 20:10
Tempertrap wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 18:21
Been working for about 7 months and I’m the exact same, in my 20s and having to take a nap after work to be able to stay up past 7.
Ruining my social life and hobbies
That's this job for you and the people at the top don't understand this and wouldn't care anyway, they think we should be on below minimum wage...

this job will take a toll on your life when you get home. The aches and pain, the tiredness, going to bed early, not being able to go for walks with loved ones as you already walked 50 miles that week delivering mail.
My family and I like to go for long walks at the weekend, although I miss out on Saturday if I`m walking. They can`t understand why I don`t fancy doing a 6-8 mile walk on a Sunday.
POSTPERSON50
Posts: 511
Joined: 21 Oct 2021, 11:09
Gender: Female

Re: Exhausted

Post by POSTPERSON50 »

mjd24 wrote: ↑
19 Jul 2022, 16:48
Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 22:48
mjd24 wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 18:59
Tempertrap wrote: ↑
18 Jul 2022, 18:21
Been working for about 7 months and I’m the exact same, in my 20s and having to take a nap after work to be able to stay up past 7.
Ruining my social life and hobbies
Just wait till youre in your 30’s 😂
Wait until you're your 60s Mucker! :Boo hoo! Roll on Death ... Retirements too far away! :cuppa
I cant even imagine doing this job in my late 40’s/50’s 😂
I'll do this year and that's me with early retirement. Might get something part time but I can't be ars*d with this employer any more. I just got used to staying here but it's not the same now
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Exhausted

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Kenfandango wrote: ↑
19 Jul 2022, 17:13
I'm almost a year in and I quite like being bounced from route to route... .

Surely this was predictable and preventable? Even if management said "you're signed on when you're fit, but the person next on the list will take it until then"
I know a few Reserves who actually enjoy their rotation, like you say they don't like being stuck in a rut, and then there's others that just like delivering the same old route all the time. A good Manager should be able to recognise different types and utilise them accordingly. :roll:

As for your point about the Re-Sign: I think it's valid, there's never enough forward planning in this Business, most Managers are just "Fire Fighting" from one disaster to another. Another common example is when they know someone's leaving/retiring and they can't/won't start recruiting their replacement UNTIL they've left. :arrrghhh

I don't think they pay managers enough .... because if they did they might be able to attract some people that are capable of doing the job properly. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Dingo99
Posts: 122
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 14:04
Gender: Male

Re: Exhausted

Post by Dingo99 »

norris9 wrote: ↑
07 Jul 2022, 14:33
I don't know how anyone wouldn't be knackered after doing this job day in, day out. It's approx a 10 mile walk a day. Lifting, turning, twisting, up steps, inclines, even trying to get letters through heavy brass post boxes involves straining your body.

I don't believe anybody who says they are fine. Everyone will have aches, pains and tiredness from what is excessive exercise.

All you can do is take as much holiday as you can and get yourself onto a flat, easier, less physical round. Maybe the odd massage can help too.
I wish is was like this in my DO, on average according to Huawei App I do 13-14 miles a dayl I did 15 once! Mind you I often have to have two trolleys and lose 25-35 mins walking back to DO to load up with next lot and when lapsing 3 duty for e.g(we are a small office of only 9 duties) I get 82 delivery points , pi55 take!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Exhausted

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Dingo99 wrote: ↑
20 Jul 2022, 15:25

I wish is was like this in my DO, on average according to Huawei App I do 13-14 miles a dayl I did 15 once! Mind you I often have to have two trolleys and lose 25-35 mins walking back to DO to load up with next lot and when lapsing 3 duty for e.g(we are a small office of only 9 duties) I get 82 delivery points , pi55 take!
That does seem to be a lot of walking, I think out longest HCT Duty is 11 miles. To save that 25-35 mins can't you get a resupply drop arranged? That's what our HCT/LWT guys do. Either phone a van for a pre-bagged drop, or arrange to have your second load dropped off at a secure location. :hmmmm

I take it when you say, "Lapsing 3 Duty" you don't mean 3 Duties which seems excessive in a DO of only 9 Duties in total. :shock:

Try not to be too specific with your posts, all DOs are set up differently. So it's sometimes difficult to understand and you don't what to bubble yourself if you upset the RM Spotters! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)