Everybody hates seniority, until they have someFoxel wrote: ↑05 Jul 2022, 14:15If you are tired now wait until Christmas. It isn't going to get better sadly.
I've been here (on the books) 9 months. with agency a year and a half. I've worked over 120 different rounds in 7 different depos, and often don't know what I'm doing until I turn up. It is Horrible. The uncertainty of not knowing what you'll be doing and being unable to plan if you can fit in a toilet stop is damaging to your mental health. I series feel your pain, the hottest day of the year and I feel I can't risk having a drink.
The whole seniority set-up is wrong and I'm sure my comments will get people's backs up but it is not only counterproductive but creates a recruitment barrier.
It takes the most experienced staff away from where they would be most valuable. And in some cases leave the laziest member of staff on the easiest round.
Be paid less and do more is the motto. So I can see why people don't stay.
I think people working as a reserve and then to a lesser extent set cover should be paid a little extra, this could incentives senior staff to take up some of these positions and allow new staff to find their feet walking the same beat.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Exhausted
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3226
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Exhausted
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Exhausted
Most of the senior postie's have done their time as leave reserves , I did to get a full time job. The only people that cry about seniority are people with none. When I started 27 years ago everything went on seniority including the holiday picks so the only thing it's used for now is picking a duty and why shouldn't someone who's been here donkeys years pick before someone who's been here months?Foxel wrote: ↑05 Jul 2022, 14:15If you are tired now wait until Christmas. It isn't going to get better sadly.
I've been here (on the books) 9 months. with agency a year and a half. I've worked over 120 different rounds in 7 different depos, and often don't know what I'm doing until I turn up. It is Horrible. The uncertainty of not knowing what you'll be doing and being unable to plan if you can fit in a toilet stop is damaging to your mental health. I series feel your pain, the hottest day of the year and I feel I can't risk having a drink.
The whole seniority set-up is wrong and I'm sure my comments will get people's backs up but it is not only counterproductive but creates a recruitment barrier.
It takes the most experienced staff away from where they would be most valuable. And in some cases leave the laziest member of staff on the easiest round.
Be paid less and do more is the motto. So I can see why people don't stay.
I think people working as a reserve and then to a lesser extent set cover should be paid a little extra, this could incentives senior staff to take up some of these positions and allow new staff to find their feet walking the same beat.
-
Foxel
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 514
- Joined: 04 Oct 2021, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Exhausted
If you want to be efficient you put people on rounds which best suit them.it is not only counterproductive but creates a recruitment barrier
If you want to nurture new staff you don't throw them to the wolves, unless this is Sparta.
These are reasons against it. What reasons are they for apart from a sense of entitlement, it was earnt through being here longest? Society is built to work the opposite way.
I would award difficulty with pay, not push it onto the weakest. But that's just my opinion like it or not.
I'm turning purple!
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3226
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Exhausted
Yeah thats great and then when youve just got used to your round that you got handed to you wet behind the ears, and know like the back of your hand, they take you off it and give it to the next new starterFoxel wrote: ↑05 Jul 2022, 15:09If you want to be efficient you put people on rounds which best suit them.it is not only counterproductive but creates a recruitment barrier
If you want to nurture new staff you don't throw them to the wolves, unless this is Sparta.
These are reasons against it. What reasons are they for apart from a sense of entitlement, it was earnt through being here longest? Society is built to work the opposite way.
I would award difficulty with pay, not push it onto the weakest. But that's just my opinion like it or not.
Too much seniority Foxel im afraid your now a reserve
You need to understand that seniority retains current staff because there is the prospect of things getting a bit easier the longer you stay
If you make it more difficult the longer you are in the job like you propose, theres not much incentive is there? Knowing that every year you are going be one year older and the put on a more difficult job.
Its a typical suggestion of someone not long in the door though but at least you know this is as bad as it gets and it can only get better the longer you stay - not worse! Imagine struggling with the first year in the job whilst on a set round and know you are being faced with the prospect of it getting even tougher?
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
sfxdby
- Posts: 81
- Joined: 28 Jan 2012, 21:48
- Gender: Male
Re: Exhausted
First thing I would say is that it is very tiring to start. I do not think you are unusual.
Four months isn't very long (though it may feel like it) and for me, I reached a level of fitness after 6 months and then another level 6 months later ....
You should give it time.
I still object to my golf being ruined by my work - because after work and a round I am virtually on my knees.
However, I appreciate the early finish so I can do the school run.
Make the job less tiring by organizing your work.
I have done something like 45 rounds and after doing a round for 3 days as is, I will start to organize it the way I want it.
That means more bags but lighter ones ...
Best of luck.
Four months isn't very long (though it may feel like it) and for me, I reached a level of fitness after 6 months and then another level 6 months later ....
You should give it time.
I still object to my golf being ruined by my work - because after work and a round I am virtually on my knees.
However, I appreciate the early finish so I can do the school run.
Make the job less tiring by organizing your work.
I have done something like 45 rounds and after doing a round for 3 days as is, I will start to organize it the way I want it.
That means more bags but lighter ones ...
Best of luck.
-
Swishy
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 03 Feb 2022, 13:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Exhausted
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply, it’s much appreciated.
I have found that if I’m on a round that I’ve done a few times I’m considerably less drained than I am if it’s a new one. Maybe the back to back changes in rounds have just knocked my confidence a bit.
I’m on a round tomorrow that I know (with a toilet stop) and with a guy who always takes a break. It’s just awkward if you’re on with someone who is back to the van before you and doesn’t take their break
I’ll speak to the manager at the office to see if there’s a chance to go on some kind of rolling rota for days off rather than just getting random days each week. I’m not fussed what day I’m off, would just be good to know a bit more in advance.
Thanks again folks, I honestly feel better just knowing that its normal to feel like this.
I have found that if I’m on a round that I’ve done a few times I’m considerably less drained than I am if it’s a new one. Maybe the back to back changes in rounds have just knocked my confidence a bit.
I’m on a round tomorrow that I know (with a toilet stop) and with a guy who always takes a break. It’s just awkward if you’re on with someone who is back to the van before you and doesn’t take their break
I’ll speak to the manager at the office to see if there’s a chance to go on some kind of rolling rota for days off rather than just getting random days each week. I’m not fussed what day I’m off, would just be good to know a bit more in advance.
Thanks again folks, I honestly feel better just knowing that its normal to feel like this.
-
SMS1969
- Posts: 1022
- Joined: 28 Jun 2021, 11:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Exhausted
It’s just how the job is, sometimes you are more tired than other days. Regarding the breaks, you have to tell the driver its now time for my break and don’t move out of your seat until you have taken it. If they want to carry on, up to them but they’ll still have to wait for you in the end.Swishy wrote: ↑05 Jul 2022, 17:14Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply, it’s much appreciated.
I have found that if I’m on a round that I’ve done a few times I’m considerably less drained than I am if it’s a new one. Maybe the back to back changes in rounds have just knocked my confidence a bit.
I’m on a round tomorrow that I know (with a toilet stop) and with a guy who always takes a break. It’s just awkward if you’re on with someone who is back to the van before you and doesn’t take their break![]()
I’ll speak to the manager at the office to see if there’s a chance to go on some kind of rolling rota for days off rather than just getting random days each week. I’m not fussed what day I’m off, would just be good to know a bit more in advance.
Thanks again folks, I honestly feel better just knowing that its normal to feel like this.
-
priority102
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 520
- Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:57
- Gender: Female
Re: Exhausted
Don't start knocking the original poster with the usual quirks, they are clearly at a low with everything, enough to post on here. They quite obviously know they shouldn't be doing it, they don't need petty comments.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Exhausted
In my career at Royal Mail I've probably worked on 120 different rounds as well. However, Royal Mail is not set in the dark ages anymore in our depot. In fact, in the last re-pick there were loads of part-time duties available but very few full-time ones. So as you can guess there are full-timers with 20 years experience working as reserves and staff that have been there less than 2 years with a fixed duty (albeit a part-time one). I'm sure Royal Mail do this as a ploy to encourage full-timers to drop hours.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Re: Exhausted
I don't know how anyone wouldn't be knackered after doing this job day in, day out. It's approx a 10 mile walk a day. Lifting, turning, twisting, up steps, inclines, even trying to get letters through heavy brass post boxes involves straining your body.
I don't believe anybody who says they are fine. Everyone will have aches, pains and tiredness from what is excessive exercise.
All you can do is take as much holiday as you can and get yourself onto a flat, easier, less physical round. Maybe the odd massage can help too.
I don't believe anybody who says they are fine. Everyone will have aches, pains and tiredness from what is excessive exercise.
All you can do is take as much holiday as you can and get yourself onto a flat, easier, less physical round. Maybe the odd massage can help too.
-
no1postie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 129
- Joined: 16 Jan 2011, 14:48
- Gender: Male
Re: Exhausted
the screws patrol the office now to make sure there is no downtime or slacking, any leg swingers or chaterboxes get pulled up for ips whatever time the lorry comes in. 
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Re: Exhausted
What does this mean?If you want to be efficient you put people on rounds which best suit them.
Genuinely WTF.
Do you know what round best suits me?
A very small one with lots of nice people and great weather.
Who's next for Santa's knee?
Only dead fish follow the current
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2039
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Re: Exhausted
First thing you do is pick a round, any round, at least you''ll know your days off, most importantly dump the RM shoes & treat yourselves to a decent pair of walking trainers & socks like Merrell, whatever the price, thank me later 
-
Wolf91
- Posts: 506
- Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Exhausted
11.2 mile today, 11.9 yesterday.
Feel alright, but when you stop and think about it, it’s an abnormal amount of exercise. Im fine at the moment, but I’m young, genuinely dread to think what I’d be like in 10-20 years time under the same strain.
The worst is when you have those kind of strenuous days and your body is lacking energy for whatever reason, it really can be a slog to get through on those sorts of days.
Feel alright, but when you stop and think about it, it’s an abnormal amount of exercise. Im fine at the moment, but I’m young, genuinely dread to think what I’d be like in 10-20 years time under the same strain.
The worst is when you have those kind of strenuous days and your body is lacking energy for whatever reason, it really can be a slog to get through on those sorts of days.
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Re: Exhausted
You have to be careful because after a few years you start to overcompensate for the exhaustion by doing f**k all outside of work and consuming too many calories, especially the wrong kind.
You start putting on weight.
You feel more exhausted.
You do less and eat more.
Etc, etc...
You start putting on weight.
You feel more exhausted.
You do less and eat more.
Etc, etc...
Only dead fish follow the current